Apple Releases Fourth iOS 11 Public Beta

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple today released the fourth public beta of iOS 11 to its public beta testing group, allowing non-developers to download and test the new operating system ahead of its fall launch. The fourth public beta of iOS 11 comes two weeks after Apple released the third public beta and it corresponds to the fifth developer beta that was released earlier this week.

Beta testers that have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the new iOS 11 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. Step-by-step instructions for downloading installing the public beta can be found in our how to. Betas should only be installed on a secondary device because the software is not stable and includes many bugs that have yet to be resolved.

Today's update, if it matches up with the fifth developer beta, removes the iCloud Messages feature, introduces new icons for Camera and Settings, features a new Control Center Music widget that makes it easier to send music to AirPlay devices, speakers, and headphones, and more.

iOS 11 introduces some fairly significant changes to the operating system, including a new Lock screen experience and a customizable, redesigned Control Center. Siri is smarter, has a more natural voice, and can do more, Messages features person-to-person Apple Pay, Notes has searchable handwriting and document scanning, and Music lets you share playlists with your friends for the first time.

A new Files app introduces better file management on iOS devices, and on the iPad, there's a new Dock, an App Switcher, and support for Drag and Drop, all of which improves multitasking on the device. A revamped App Store is coming in iOS 11, photos and videos take up less space, iMessages can be stored in iCloud, and developers are getting new tools like ARKit for creating impressive new augmented reality apps and games.

For complete details on all of the features included in iOS 11, make sure to check out our iOS 11 roundup. Apple plans to release iOS 11 to the public in the fall following several more weeks of testing and refinement.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fourth iOS 11 Public Beta

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Any Dexcom users out there try DB (developer beta) 5?

I was having problems with PB 1-3 that I finally just downgraded back to 10.3.3.

The problem I was having was with the Bluetooth being reported off when it was indeed on, and the only way to get rid of it was to turn Bluetooth off and on again. It was a royal PINTA, happening every 3-4 hours.

And yes, I reported it.

cale508

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2015
IL
Perspective wallpaper is broken in lockscreen or just a black screen with the time will show. Phone will ring an screen won't wake up until 5 seconds later. Bluetooth still cuts out sometimes. Remaining emails don't update even when you are going thru each email. I have sent feedbacks for those.

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Can you guys let me know if there's also a new High Sierra public beta? Can't see that one.

Osxguy

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
San Jose
www.hnhtraining.com
So happy. I think they should have waited on the public beta. I feel sorry for actual developers who are trying to develope an app on this mess.

Issues that I have, say hey Siri almost 20 seconds later it responds. Or the bar goes back and forth. Double tapping home button only to go back to the first app which is a phone call i am currently on... Crash oh crash or yeah crash restart restart restart...
Almost forgot taking pictures landscape only to have to rotate them later..

Reactions: jakeviator

dan9700

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
This should be delayed the dev beta is Spose to have problems but public beta should be more stable dev 5 is terrible and can’t believe Apple released it

tkukoc

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
Dev beta 5 is a mess. They shouldn't have released the public beta.
I agree, this one is a major step back. Beta 3 I thought was really bad, this one is on par if not worse. Beta 3 I submitted nearly 200 bug reports. Already up to 40 in beta 5. They didn't fix most of the glitches on ipad's.

Examples:
Folder issues are bad both animations and crashes on both ipad's and phones. Crash bug is back in messages with photos, editing/saving. Can replicate a boot loop I reported in beta 2, now back in beta 5. So something broke previous fixes. And many many more..

Reactions: IG88 and Northgrove

NecroKill

Suspended
Aug 2, 2017
How do you still have time and energy to install it, tap around, realise it is crap and then go back to normal version which is iOS 10.3.3?

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Okay so I know this is beta and I've run betas on my personal device before but how annoying are the bugs right now? All the "this is a mess" posts are pretty dramatic- is this honestly best avoided?

cale508

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2015
IL
And as for other people being tired of people posting non-descriptive criticism, go check the developer beta forum and you'll find out the day before what you might expect on the public beta.