Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
For all the betas that were released, this update is pretty underwhelming to me. Guess we got iOS 11 to look forward to......
I know it's early to say this, but honestly with the track record Apple have had the last few years - underwhelming but reliable is a brilliant outcome and really for Apple a return to form. Remember how they revolutionized the phone yet took years to implement copy/paste? I'd rather near perfect performance and less glamour with a focus on hardware and system optimization so that when they change it up we know they're once again starting from a good place.

ROBBJR

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Airpods not showing up in Find My iPhone w 10.3 on iPhone 6+S. Is this an iPhone 7 functioning only update? Disconnected AirPods, rebooted iPhone, etc. Thanks.

badarihp

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2015
If possible can Apple release APFS only update for older iPhone 4S, it will benefit better space efficiency for 8gb iPhones.

Last edited:

Matt George

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
BRICKED!
awesome ... full erase and restore here we come .. fingers crossed.

7plus 128 verizon ... i just want to go to bed!

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
If that were the case than why does Apple not recommend it nor installs this as a fresh install.
It's just rubbish, no need to do a fresh install.
After beta updates it definitely is worth it!
[doublepost=1490676153][/doublepost]
For all the betas that were released, this update is pretty underwhelming to me. Guess we got iOS 11 to look forward to......
A completely new file system in 7 betas is phenomenal work. Never ever go into software as a career my friend!

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
So far, so good. Got 2 extra gigs storage! : )
And I must say, things absolutely are speedier, no placebo.
Like, I uploaded a 1 gig video from Photos to iCloud.
Usually, this takes about 15 to 20 seconds, or thereabouts.
Now? Now the upload was instantaneous.
Yay for Apple. They finally did something right with iOS updates.

Last edited:

alexzaki1986

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
Slovenia
Anyone else have a frozen screen with an iTunes logo and lightning cable after updating? Iphone 5c.

My girlfriends iP6 had the same issue. Had to completely restore it back to iOS 10.2.1 and thanks god iTunes made a backup so nothing was lost. I'll give it another go today.

My iP5 on the other hand was updated without any problems.

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
After beta updates it definitely is worth it!
[doublepost=1490676153][/doublepost]
A completely new file system in 7 betas is phenomenal work. Never ever go into software as a career my friend!
Yes! This is a most impressive feat of engineering: three cheers for the designers and coders, and their managers.

blimundus

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
The People Album in Photos no longer shows how many pictures there are for each person, which is fine.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
If possible can Apple release APFS only update for older iPhone 4S, it will benefit better space efficiency for 8gb iPhones.

On my 16 GB iPhone 5, I lost 0.02 GB of total available space. Going from 12.24 to 12.22 GB. So it's possible that you wouldn't actually see an increase in total usable space. Perhaps the 32 BIT phones lose space to some additional overhead. Don't know.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
with introduction of APFS -is it possible that iPhone and iPad will have parts of storage which is accessible? so it can be finally used for example for direct upload of photos from digital camera?

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
this would be an awesome addition, however the Siri Remote has no speaker or vibration motor
So how this would be achieved I'm not sure

also not sure how serious you are, but figured I would say something
How would you control the AppleTV if you don't have the remote ? If you have an iPhone then it may be possible. But then the Siri remote doesn't have a speaker or vibration motor. Maybe the phone could track it via Bluetooth strength - but for the there are apps already like for ex. BLE scanner or light blue

Macs4u

Suspended
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
iPhone 7 Plus 256GB , did a restore in iTunes on the Mac as thought the best way to do it. It downloaded the 10.3 and then said couldn't connect to the phone. Unplugged the USB and back in and it wiped the phone and kept making the noise when you unplug/plug in the charger. So , did another total restore and still the same and the phone is getting very hot. How can this be on my phone as most other comments I've seen are positive?

Matt

SuperHamster

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2015
Cambridge
In order to use iCloud after the update, I must first agree to the new iCloud Terms and Conditions? Right. However my iPhone has been busy trying to display the new iCloud Terms and Conditions for the last two hours. Presumably they are served from iCloud, and I'm not allowed to read them as I haven't approved new iCloud Terms and Conditions?

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
Well, I've just upgraded my SE (from 9.3.5).
OTA installation, and no problems at all. The performance seems to be the great so far.
I've gotta say it, it's good to see an update like this (with the file system thing) roll out with a general sense of "it works", instead of the tsunami of complaints.
Now, I have to learn to disable my morning alarm by tapping the screen, not sliding it.. Damn you, 6 years of iOS use... :p:D

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Got stuck in "verifying update..." a couple of times and had to manually reset the phone. Finally I was able to install the update OTA and I don't see any problems now.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Settings -> General -> About -> Applications shows you which apps are outdated. Somehow on one of our phones, iphone5, it show ALL the apps that are installed, system daemons and other hidden apps included.

Well, if it lists all 32-bit applications, then it makes sense as 5s was the first with a 64-bit CPU. The 5 has a 32-bit CPU and therefore it uses 32-bit variants of the apps as well.

Reactions: kalakana

Erulezz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
The Netherlands
Why did I have to insert my MacBook Pro's password before it completed the update to 10.3 on my iPad Air?

I was wondering the same thing.. Never seen this before. On entering my password and completed the setup I received an error msg on my Mac: "keychainsharingIDSproxy quit unexpectedly", so my guess is has something to do with the keychain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.