Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm a tad bit sceptical about this one. Developer Preview 7 (the last one before this release) has been the worst of bunch for me with a serious battery drain on my iPhone 7 Plus. I'm going from 100% to 30% in a matter for 3-4 hours without really using my phone. Hopefully it's fixed in the final release, but as every other 10.3 Preview worked better I'm not entirely sure what's going on. But as I'm already having battery drainage, what do I have to loose.
Sounds like you have a software / app glitch somewhere. Many here, including myself, have been running Developer betas on the same device without any overt battery drain.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Ugh. My iPhone 6 Plus been on the last beta, and the battery life has been less than stellar - so I was hoping the 10.3 release would be newer (and hopefully contain some fixes). But it appears my beta is 10.3 final.
The beta is the debug version, and runs more, less efficient code, involved in making the debugging process easier. The consequence is that it's somewhat difficult to predict exactly how the code will perform in the wild, until it's released.

bgpaglia

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Finally carrier update here in Switzerland for Sunrise. Wifi-Calling here i come !!!

Does it really work for you? I've just tried to make a call, but it seemed to be problematic as usual indoor... also half of the mysunrise website is down...

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
How can I update if i am on the beta program?
It is true, they would have changed the version to be higher then the last beta like they did on the watch, tv, macOS if it wasn't. It's not the first time the gave the GM a week or more to beta testers.
[doublepost=1490648350][/doublepost]

You realize they completely changed the file system? There is a reason they did so much testing...

AFS isn't something that people are even going to notice or see any performance enhancements until at least iOS 11. Again, the update is underwhelming IMO. Maybe your results differ

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Sounds like you have a software / app glitch somewhere. Many here, including myself, have been running Developer betas on the same device without any overt battery drain.[/QUOTE need to install fresh. I also had major issues to the point of complete corruption. A fresh install and restore is your answer and peace of mind solution.
[doublepost=1490654452][/doublepost]
AFS isn't something that people are even going to notice or see any performance enhancements until at least iOS 11. Again, the update is underwhelming IMO. Maybe your results differ
Rubbish. The difference on an iPad Air is light and day.
[doublepost=1490654513][/doublepost]
The beta is the debug version, and runs more, less efficient code, involved in making the debugging process easier. The consequence is that it's somewhat difficult to predict exactly how the code will perform in the wild, until it's released.
Wow, someone here gets it! Hashtag debug. Literally (well if it were C++).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Given the fact that it has been no secret what has transpired with the beta development, there really was no mystery occurring with the final release of 10.3. As such, why would you be underwhelmed?

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Given the fact that it has been no secret what has transpired with the beta development, there really was no mystery occurring with the final release of 10.3. As such, why would you be underwhelmed?

Given the 4 hours I've ran it, performance , speed, battery seem same on my iPhone 7+ as previous version. Only thing that sticks out as "neat" is find my AirPods. That's why I said underwhelmed.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
[doublepost=1490654452][/doublepost]
Rubbish. The difference on an iPad Air is light and day.
[doublepost=1490654513][/doublepost]
Wow, someone here gets it! Hashtag debug. Literally (well if it were C++).
I understand all about beta and its potential affect on devices. As I noted to the other member, not everyone has the same experience with betas. As such, he is experiencing bugs that I haven't. The same thing happens with GN builds. Given the member stated he was on beta, I didn't see a need to rehash the obvious beta talk.
[doublepost=1490655098][/doublepost]
Given the 4 hours I've ran it, performance , speed, battery seem same on my iPhone 7+ as previous version. Only thing that sticks out as "neat" is find my AirPods. That's why I said underwhelmed.
I don't think one can make an objective assessment of the release in just 4 hours, in regards to battery etc. You may or may not see a noticeable improvement in the areas you noted, for a variety of reasons, which may or may not be directly related to the new release.

pwestrich

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
My iPhone 7 is bricked after this update at the moment...
I can make it to the page of the setup screen where it's asking me to enable Siri, then it locks up. Signing in to my Apple ID also fails consistently.
I can lock the phone, but then when I unlock it it just goes to a black screen. Resetting the device seems to just repeat the cycle.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
My iPhone 7 is bricked after this update at the moment...
I can make it to the page of the setup screen where it's asking me to enable Siri, then it locks up. Signing in to my Apple ID also fails consistently.
I can lock the phone, but then when I unlock it it just goes to a black screen. Resetting the device seems to just repeat the cycle.
Try DFU mode.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Just upgraded my 7 Plus and 6s. They both repeatedly rejected my Apple ID password as well but finally took it. The rest of the update was smooth.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Another CarPlay feature: if you're listening to a playlist, you can touch the name of the artist to access the album from which the song came....very handy

Reactions: PeteLP

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Went fine on my iPhone 5 w/ 16 GB.

No problems. Smooth update from 10.2 to 10.3. I skipped 10.2.1.

Only thing I notice is my total capacity went from being reported as 12.24 GB with iOS 10.2 to being reported as 12.22 GB after updating to iOS 10.3. Minor decrease. Probably just the way the new file system reports it.

My available space went from 5.66 to 6.60 GB. But I also had the 10.2.1 update that I kept ignoring. Would be nice if updates you didn't want wouldn't waste space.

So, most of my space increase was probably just deleting the 10.2.1 update package.

Otherwise, all my data is there, nothing lost. Up and running.

No faster, no slower. Just the same as it was.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
iPhone SE:
• Before: 3.19 GB available
• After: 4.65 GB available

iPad mini 4:
• Before: 2.19 GB available
• After: 3.49 GB available

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Are older apps broken now after this update? You know, the ones that reported that they would 'slow down' you device previously? I have a couple of favorites which haven't been updated recently (I don't know if the developer is still around)
They better not. I have a lot of current apps that are still 32 bit.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
FINALLY!! Someone with the same problem as me... I've been experiencing this issue since iOS 9.3 I think. The only way to make the screen rotate is to press the home button. It seems that on the home screen the device rotates normally.
My iPhone 6 does this too. Especially in the Settings. The 6 doesn't support rotation like the 6+ yet when I switch away and back it's rotated and then it refreshes slowly.
[doublepost=1490663229][/doublepost]
Think I'll wait a couple of days, just in case..
Me too

Reactions: apolloa

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I still have ios 9 on my iPhone 6s. It works great and battery life is also good. I haven't upgraded to ios10 because i have serious doubts that I will see any real benefit. Am I wrong for not upgrading?
Perhaps ios 10.3 brings a new battery performance but as far as it goes i'm like you stuck on ios 9.3.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.