Apple Releases iOS 12.4 With New Wireless Data Migration When Setting Up a New iPhone and Apple News+ Improvements

lartola

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2017
I assume you will only see it when you try to setup a new phone. Same as previously where you could take a picture of the "QR/dot code"... only now it will transfer all data instead of basic settings and passwords.
Yeah exactly.

Reactions: MikeSmoke

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
Why are people queuing up for something that can get you into debt? Why is Apple creating something that can get you into debt?

lartola

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2017
Why are people queuing up for something that can get you into debt? Why is Apple creating something that can get you into debt?
Apple is creating the credit card because it helps them keep existing users tied to their ecosystem by making it harder to switch to another platform such as Android, and may even yield them some profits too. As to why people queue up for it, I think that's just a result of all the hype Apple creates around everything they do.

Also note that a credit card by itself doesn't necessarily get anyone in debt. People get themselves in debt because they don't use their credit cards responsibly.

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Finally, no maybe they can divert full attention to the new OS which desperately needs the A team.
So many things wrong with this post it's hard to figure out where to start.

Where did you get this notion that engineering teams are segregated by their relative skills or qualifications?

If there is an "A team" why would you assume it would work on older iOS versions?

You do realize that iOS 13 is a BETA, and that whatever issues you've come across have nothing to do with the skills and qualifications of the people who work on it, but rather the fact that it's a BETA.
[doublepost=1563833357][/doublepost]
Better include Apple Card with iOS 12. That's the last iOS I can run on my 6.
or what? you'll buy a new phone?
[doublepost=1563833498][/doublepost]
Don't be disappointed just yet. Remember that the Apple Card has been in internal testing for a few weeks now, and people testing it are running iOS 12.4. And if history can be used as a reference then this might mean Apple plans to turn on the Apple Card remotely in the next few days for those running iOS 12.4 and they will see it pop up in their wallet app, just like in 2017 when iOS 11.2 released apparently without Apple Pay Cash and then people who had updated started seeing it pop up out of the blue on their devices a couple of days later.
Am I missing something? When did Apple start issuing Apple Cards to the general public, or even start accepting applications?

Reactions: haruhiko

picaman

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
Because I’m lazy, I generally sell my phone back to Apple in-store when I upgrade to a new phone. I’ll be interested to see the workflow of doing that and using the new wireless transfer.

I think I’ve always wiped the old phone and handed it over before they gave me the new one.

lartola

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2017
Am I missing something? When did Apple start issuing Apple Cards to the general public, or even start accepting applications?
They obviously haven't started issuing cards or even accepting applications. What I meant to say was that I still think Apple will probably enable remotely the support for the Apple Card in settings and wallet in a few days, so that everyone already running iOS 12.4 by then can go ahead and apply for and, if approved, get their Apple card without having to install any other software update. And my statement was based on the fact that internal testers who have already applied for and used the Apple card in the last few weeks were running the betas of either iOS 12.4 or the iOS 13.

Last edited:

lartola

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2017
Nah. 12.4.1 probably.
Not even that. If, as I still think, support for the Apple Card was indeed included in iOS 12.4 but hidden, then the option for everyone to apply for the Apple card can easily be enabled remotely by Apple in a few days for everyone already running on that software update by then (just like the Apple Pay cash card was remotely enabled in 2017) and then no further updates for iOS 12 would be required.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Not even that. If, as I still think, support for the Apple Card was indeed included in iOS 12.4 but hidden, then the option for everyone to apply for the Apple card can easily be enabled remotely by Apple in a few days for everyone already running on that software update by then (just like the Apple Pay cash card was remotely enabled in 2017) and then no further updates for iOS 12 would be required.
There's pretty much always a minor update after an update for unexpected bug fixes. 12.4 will not be the final release before iOS 13.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
So many things wrong with this post it's hard to figure out where to start.

Where did you get this notion that engineering teams are segregated by their relative skills or qualifications?

If there is an "A team" why would you assume it would work on older iOS versions?

You do realize that iOS 13 is a BETA, and that whatever issues you've come across have nothing to do with the skills and qualifications of the people who work on it, but rather the fact that it's a BETA.
[doublepost=1563833357][/doublepost]

or what? you'll buy a new phone?
[doublepost=1563833498][/doublepost]

You must be new. It is practically a meme the way people who don’t understand software excuse every single issue as “it’s beta”. Then when it comes out of beta and the core issues still exist, you people vanish back into the woodwork.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2015
earth
We get it. It may be turned on remotely. No need to reply to every post with that, once is enough.
What is the harm? Some members here check for flagged responses to their specific posts rather than scroll through dozens of posts to find an answer.
[doublepost=1563839360][/doublepost]
Does the data migration also work with iPads?
Yes, it does. I was offered to do so when doing a clean install after removing iPad OS 13 beta. I chose to go manually, so I can’t comment on how well it works, but the option is there.

SidricTheViking

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
Question. If I’m on the 12.4 Beta, how do I upgrade to the final 12.4 release?
The update shows in Settings > General > Software Update. I’ve just updated an iPod running the beta to the full version today.
[doublepost=1563846036][/doublepost]
How does the wireless migration work? Is it over WiFi from iPhone A directly to iPhone B? If so, that's a pretty good feature - doing an iCloud backup and restore is quite time consuming.
Yes, it’s directly from device to device, from what I’ve read.
[doublepost=1563846300][/doublepost]
Exactly. Same Question.

Apple introduced a Transfer Option in iOS 11 or 12, where by having a new iPhone next to your current iPhone will ask if you wanted to migrate. I thought that was Wireless Migration. Turns out it was basically transferring your iCloud account information to your new iPhone via Bluetooth, which then restore your new iPhone from iCloud ( Pretty useless if you ask me )

Somehow the support document for Wireless Migration is not updated [1] in any languages except in Hong Kong Chinese [2] , it doesn't exactly say how it is done. But it seems to be true direct transfer. I wonder if it is WiFi - Direct, and if so what sort of transfer speed is it?

[1] https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216

[2] https://support.apple.com/zh-hk/HT210216
It’s been updated now. Also, at the end of the Transfer section you’ll see that there’s a wired option, too!

SidricTheViking

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
I thought wireless migration was already in iOS. I used it a while back on iOS 12. I wasn’t using a beta either.
Perhaps you used Quick Start, which is a bit quicker and easier than the previous method, but still uses an iCloud backup to transfer your date to your new device. This bypasses iCloud altogether, it seems, and does a direct device-to-device transfer.

MikeSmoke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
12.4 is probably the last point release for the 12 version of iOS. It appears that Apple realizes the importance of leaving iOS 12 EOL devices with a solid release. This has not always been the case in the past. Sooo many other EOL releases worked but they pretty much bricked the devices. iOS 12 outperforms iOS 11 on supported devices. That is no small feat. It took a lot of rewrites and optimizations to pull that off.

otternonsense

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
dimitriskritsilis.com
Hereby the latest, greatest release, most stable release of the iOS 12 generation.

Given the past performance of the first releases of iOS 10,11,12, I might as well stick to 12.4 until 13.1 is out (even though I'm aching to try iPad OS).

Reactions: skillwill

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Will this be an encrypted backup and restore?

For me, itunes encrypted backup is only option. Who wants to re-enter passwords for 100 apps and 10 email addresses ??

Ru_C

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
Just updated my iPhone SE 64gb this morning & its deleted around 5000 of 7500 photos ! They still show on my Mac & iPad, but absolutely not there on my phone. Worst bug I've had yet with an update. I'd be interested if i'm the only one with this issue? I'm a photographer so these aren't just 1000's of phone selfies that have gone missing ;) I mean I have the originals in lightroom, but its destroyed all my synced albums etc...Slightly worrying...

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Just updated my iPhone SE 64gb this morning & its deleted around 5000 of 7500 photos ! They still show on my Mac & iPad, but absolutely not there on my phone. Worst bug I've had yet with an update. I'd be interested if i'm the only one with this issue? I'm a photographer so these aren't just 1000's of phone selfies that have gone missing ;) I mean I have the originals in lightroom, but its destroyed all my synced albums etc...Slightly worrying...
Do you use iCloud Photo Library? I don’t use it for this specific reason. Apple can’t seem to easily sync photos/videos across all devices. Same reason why I don’t use iCloud Music Library. No thank you.

abdullamac77

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
"propagate to all users"??

Never felt any delay whatsoever on iOS.. Android monthly patches propagate like hell .. sometimes for days or weeks. That's the whole beauty of iOS.. you don't have to deal with delayed patch downloads..

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
does the "iPhone Migration" creates 1:1 replica or does it just transfer the settings and apps over? Will things like opened tabs, saved files, opened chats dialogue, etc be carried over?