Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3, the third major updates to the iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 operating system updates that initially came out in September 2023. The software comes more than a month after Apple released iOS 17.2 and iPadOS 17.2 with the Journal app.

iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. Apple has also released iOS 15.8.1 and iOS 16.7.5 for those running older versions of iOS.

With iOS 17.3, Apple is adding Stolen Device Protection to the iPhone, limiting access to private information just in case someone gets ahold of both your iPhone and your passcode. It requires biometric authentication to do things like access passwords, turn off Lost Mode, make purchases in Safari, and more.

The update also includes support for AirPlaying content directly to some hotel room TVs, creating collaborative Apple Music playlists with friends and family, and more. Apple's full release notes for the update are below.
Stolen Device Protection
- Stolen Device Protection increases security of iPhone and Apple ID by requiring Face ID or Touch ID with no passcode fallback to perform certain actions
- Security Delay requires Face ID or Touch ID, an hour wait, and then an additional successful biometric authentication before sensitive operations like changing device passcode or Apple ID password can be performed

Lock Screen
- New Unity wallpaper honors Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month

Music
- Collaborate on playlists allows you to invite friends to join your playlist and everyone can add, reorder, and remove songs
- Emoji reactions can be added to any track in a collaborative playlist

This update also includes the following improvements:
- AirPlay hotel support lets you stream content directly to the TV in your room in select hotels
- AppleCare & Warranty in Settings shows your coverage for all devices signed in with your Apple ID
- Crash detection optimizations (all iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 models)
More details on all of the features that Apple has introduced so far in iOS 17 can be found in our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3 With Stolen Device Protection, Collaborative Apple Music Playlists and More

Last edited:

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Available on my work iPhone. After the beta issues I'll be waiting a bit on the other devices.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I normally just let my firmware auto-update, but installing this one this evening!

I'd like to install it on my work phone as well, but IT has to approve it first via the MDM.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Happy update day. Always exciting to get new updates and then go over to Zollotech's youtube Page to find out what is new. I'm glad he hasn't decided to quit, but I do think he should take a step back and not be so overworked. All these youtubers who are quitting seem to be unable to balance the worklife balance. Burnout should not be a thing when you are solo-employed, but then I don't know what the various situations are.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Happy update day. Always exciting to get new updates and then go over to Zollotech's youtube Page to find out what is new. I'm glad he hasn't decided to quit, but I do think he should take a step back and not be so overworked. All these youtubers who are quitting seem to be unable to balance the worklife balance. Burnout should not be a thing when you are solo-employed, but then I don't know what the various situations are.
Not just the stress of self-employment (only get paid when you work) but also not having any control over the pricing of your product (unpredictable ad revenue and donations). A few years ago more than one YTuber had their entire portfolio marked as "for children" and de-monetized. I think it is a risky way to make a living but maybe I'm just too risk adverse.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Not just the stress of self-employment (only get paid when you work) but also not having any control over the pricing of your product (unpredictable ad revenue and donations). A few years ago more than one YTuber had their entire portfolio marked as "for children" and de-monetized. I think it is a risky way to make a living but maybe I'm just too risk adverse.

Yeah that's probably another big reason a lot of these guys are stepping back. Not to mention it feels like Youtube's TOS changes every day and it's just hard to keep up.

Reactions: onenorth

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
About time. Sorta strange this hole was left there in the first place, but glad Apple is correcting it. Guess Apple didnt think they had to cover people that were not situation aware.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
In case you missed it the Classical App had an update today (iOS/IPadOS) to allow it to work on car play also.

Update: that was for v1.2, then it was yanked hours later, replaced with v1.2.1 which disabled CarPlay.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.