Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Apple today released iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3, the third major updates to the iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 operating system updates that initially came out in September 2023. The software comes more than a month after Apple released iOS 17.2 and iPadOS 17.2 with the Journal app.

I got a little excited for a few moments, as I hoped in vain that Apple backtracked their stance on Journal being on iPad.

:confused:

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Sep 5, 2016
I'll be installing this soon.

Other than the "stolen phone protection" is there anything else of value in this 17.3 Update for iPad users?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I am on 16.6.1 and wondering if I can update to 16.7.5.
🤷‍♂️ Do you see 16.7.5 under Software Update?

I'm on 16.7.2 and ever since Apple released iOS 17.1, I've not been able to get any further iOS 16 updates -- no 16.7.3, no 16.7.4, no 16.7.5. I only see iOS 17 updates because Apple wants me (us?) to upgrade to iOS 17 so they will have good iOS 17 usage stats.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Future MR readers will reminisce about the old days when we had to mess with updates for all of our devices, all in one day sometimes. “Remember the HomePod? I still have one in the garage somewhere.” “Remember how big iPhones used to be back then?“

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

EedyBeedyBeeps

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
USA
Is Stolen Device Protection only on iOS? I can see it in search results when I search for it in Settings in iPadOS, however the actual SDP setting is not present on my iPad.

Reactions: Lizzard899

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
So with Stolen Device Protection it's now a race between the victim realizing their phone is gone and getting to a different device they can report it through as stolen / lock it up, and the thief checking the owner'a Contact information for where they live and getting there first.

That's definitely an improvement over the situation before, but I guess.. don't have your device stolen within a couple of blocks of your home or work..?

Is it documented anywhere how close the phone needs to be to a known location for the SDP to disengage?

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
So with Stolen Device Protection it's now a race between the victim realizing their phone is gone and getting to a different device they can report it through as stolen / lock it up, and the thief checking the owner'a Contact information for where they live and getting there first.

That's definitely an improvement over the situation before, but I guess.. don't have your device stolen within a couple of blocks of your home or work..?

Is it documented anywhere how close the phone needs to be to a known location for the SDP to disengage?
Not so much a race. I think the idea is that if someone steals your phone and forces/tricks you to unlock it with your face/finger, they still will have to wait an hour and have you do it again, which is unlikely to happen.

Lizzard899

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2023
Delaware
Is Stolen Device Protection only on iOS? I can see it in search results when I search for it in Settings in iPadOS, however the actual SDP setting is not present on my iPad.
Same for my iphone se 2022. I just bought it in the fall 2023. Stolen device protection option isnt showing up on it either. Weird. Maybe theres a glitch. Also, you said it shows up in the search results, it doesnt show up for me either. Definitely a bug somewhere in ios 17.3 I bet

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
Created a shared playlist, but unlike my other playlist it doesn’t have a collage of albums for its icon, but some random, ugly AI looking 90’s artwork. How come?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.