Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Unfortunately stolen device protection doesn’t available for iPadOS 17.3 and user can still use apple pay with passcode. So if you lost your phone and the thieve knows the passcode then he/she can still use your credit card
Well if you are now briefed on this social engineering attack you will be doubly sure to guard your device passcode. Right?

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
1. Why does the thief have both your phone and your iPad?
2. Why does your phone and iPad both have the same password?
I am thinking of ipad only scenario.
Well if you are now briefed on this social engineering attack you will be doubly sure to guard your device passcode. Right?
The whole purpose of this update is to harden the security.

It’s a welcome change from Apple but definitely this update doesn’t protect iPad and Apple pay. It’s fact and no need to deny it. Just hoping Apple increase the protection in subsequent releases

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am thinking of ipad only scenario.

The whole purpose of this update is to harden the security.

It’s a welcome change from Apple but definitely this update doesn’t protect iPad and Apple pay. It’s fact and no need to deny it. Just hoping Apple increase the protection in subsequent releases
While this may come to iPadOS in the future, I’m betting apple did its homework and found some majority percentage (whatever that number was) use Apple Pay on their iPhones outside of what one would call familiar locations. If I’m understanding your comment correctly.

Lewanna68

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2019
Is stolen device protection available for iPhone 12 Pro Max as I don’t have it after updating?

mprudow

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2021
My wife has an iPad mini with Touch ID. Unfortunately, her fingerprints are not defined enough to work with any Touch ID device. If I understand the Stolen Device Protection process correctly, it would be disastrous for her to activate it. Am I correct?

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
My wife has an iPad mini with Touch ID. Unfortunately, her fingerprints are not defined enough to work with any Touch ID device. If I understand the Stolen Device Protection process correctly, it would be disastrous for her to activate it. Am I correct?
I believe Stolen Device Protection is not currently available on iPadOS, so she can't enable it on her iPad mini at this time. If she has an iPhone, or if / when Stolen Device Protection becomes available on iPadOS, having it enabled would become problematic under these conditions:

1. If she absolutely has to do some of the things that now require Touch ID or Face ID (see documentation for the list) outside of a familiar location

or

2. If her device is unable to determine that it's at a familiar location due to a software bug

idkwhat

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
Have they changed the airdrop online transfer functionality at all in this new one? updating to iPadOS 17 made airdrop much worse for me, as I used to conveniently drop things directly to the desired app or place in files, but now it insists on putting it to iCloud (and since I don’t have a subscription this causes various annoying problems with clogging my iCloud or else just confusing me about where the file is). Literally all I want to see changed in iOS now is that changed back to how it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.