Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wez01

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
battery

The update doesnt appear to have fixed the 'Setting Time Zone' problem.
Always using GPS still!

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
did the update OTA on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Completed in less then 8 minutes each on the same wireless network. Killed 6% of battery life on my iPhone while downloading and install and 2% on my iPad. I will calibrate both of my batteries and see if there is any improvement in the already decent battery life i was receiving!! :apple:

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
easy as pie here in Canada. stinkin fast too (only 5mbps internet). Just waiting for iPad to restart now.

Yep, definitely available in Canada.

Never did have any of the battery life issues, tho... lasted many many times longer than my previous iPhone (admittedly, that battery had far, far too many cycles on it) and no issues with location services.

Still, glad to see it's available to potentially make a lot of you folks a bit happier. Fixing the security breach isn't a bad thing, either.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Just got my 5.0.1 OTA. 55.5 MB for 4S on AT$T.

Man, 17 min to download 55 MB on WiFi.

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A404)

If you are on a 5.0.1 beta release, does the ota update work?

Bulldog28

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Got the OTA here in Los Angeles.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Some of us know that Apple could have done this over 3G as well (like they did in the beta) but are choosing (for no apparent reason) not to allow it.

And yet you're still getting OTA updates. You just have to connect to one of the 10,000 wifi networks around most people at a given time. :rolleyes:

You people literally astonish me.

zezioen

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Searching or No Service :(

I just updated to iOS 5.0.1 and now I either have no service or it's searching :confused:.
I live in The Netherlands and I am on the T-Mobile network through Simpel.

Is this common to updates (first iPhone (4S) I received two days ago) or is there something going on

Oh and I do NOT want any suggestions towards jailbreaking.

sirgumshoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
OTA not so OTA

How can these updates be truly OTA when you have to be connected to Wi-Fi to update? I have unlimited data from AT&T so it frustrates me that I have to wait to get home to use my WiFi network.

Perhaps a setting on allowing data access regardless of filesize would be applicable for Apple to implement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.