Apple Releases iOS 9.2.1 With Bug Fixes, Security Updates

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released iOS 9.2.1 to the public, marking the first update to iOS 9 since iOS 9.2 launched in December of 2015. iOS 9.2.1 has been in testing since December 16, with developers and public beta testers receiving a total of three betas before its public launch.

Today's iOS 9.2.1 release is available as an over-the-air update to all iOS 9 users. A minor update, iOS 9.2.1 is the fifth update to iOS 9 in total, following the launches of iOS 9.0.1, iOS 9.0.2, iOS 9.1, and iOS 9.2.

iOS 9.2.1, as a 9.x.x update, is minor in scale, focusing mainly on under-the-hood performance improvements and bug fixes rather than outward-facing changes. According to Apple's release notes, the update includes security improvements and bug fixes, including a fix for a significant Mobile Device Management issue that affected enterprise customers.
    iOS 9.2.1 will be followed by iOS 9.3, which has also been seeded to developers for testing purposes. Set to be released in the spring, iOS 9.3 is a major update that introduces a new Night Shift feature to cut down on blue light exposure during the evening for better sleep and brings new educational features.

iOS 9.3 also includes new Quick Actions for iPhone 6s users and it introduces updates for apps and features like Apple News, Notes, Health, Siri, CarPlay, and More.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 9.2.1 With Bug Fixes, Security Updates

2. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

Tuesday is the best day of the week!

3. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

There was a legitamate issue with app installation though. And there wasn't even a jailbreak for 9.2 in the first place.

4. JKarnsy macrumors member

I find myself thinking about these programmers who spend 8+ hours every day of their working lives creating these performance improvement and bug fixing updates which are provided free of charge, quickly distributed, and sometimes never even noticed by consumers...and yet I'm just sad I have to wait even longer for Night Shift :(

5. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I wasn't really complaining :)

6. KPOM macrumors G5

This is actually a very important release for enterprises. iOS 9.2 inadvertently broke compatibility with certain secure enterprise apps, which this update fixes.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Wasn't aware there's supposed to be a jailbreak.

Small update.

8. dalthicks macrumors member

dalthicks

The update is only 40MB, and I still have to be on wifi to update o_O

9. I_ndeed macrumors member

I_ndeed

I've got 9.3 beta. It is possible to install this official 9.2.1 and rollback my current iCloud backup?? Thanks guys.

10. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Please fix the bug that automatically downloads music to an iOS device when it's added to iTunes Match.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Because people will cry and moan like babies and blame Apple the second they do anything that inadvertently puts them over their data limit.

12. Narcaz macrumors 6502

13. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Nope, can't do.

This is what Apple's page about the beta says:
    iOS93.PNG

14. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Drives me nuts too... so I just trade tethers with a fellow dork in the office that cares.

15. I_ndeed macrumors member

I_ndeed

How to do it my friend?

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

17. bushido Suspended

bushido

family calling me complaining about how they dont have enough space on their devices to get rid of "that annoying red 1" in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

18. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Search the forums. This is asked every time a beta comes out.

: Put iOS Device in Recovery mode
    Install the ipws file for 9.2.1
    Then restore from backup

19. patjem macrumors member

patjem

That was a smooth one. Updated my iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in less than 10 minutes all together

20. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Doesn't seem likely with this update, unless they already don't have pretty much any free space to begin with (which is its own separate issue in a sense).

21. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Anytime I see "Night Shift" mentioned, I think of the Nightman and Dayman from Always Sunny In Philadelphia and then have the Dayman song stuck in my head.

22. geralddarden macrumors member

geralddarden

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, my work's wireless network throttles app store and system updates. It would be faster for me to use LTE.

23. ipadoxca macrumors regular

It's possible to restore to iOS 9.2.1 however once the iCloud back ups your new device it sometimes looses the older back ups and the new back up is no longer capatible with iOS 9.2.1. I've tried my self spent the whole weekend doing it and tried instead of restoring to iOS 9.3 using the update method. I pressed option on my Mac and clicked update in order so iTunes would give me the option to choose the file and it did however once the device was back to iOS 9.2.1 I was no longer able to see any my apps. they were installed since my device had memory missing. I reseted settings with no luck. So I just stuck with iOS 9.3 in order to keep my recent back up.

24. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

This is getting ridiculous. Under 100 MB just let me download it.