Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases iPhoto 9.0.1 to Address Data Loss

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has released a version update for iPhoto that should prevent the possibility of data loss when upgrading to iPhoto '11.
This update addresses issues that, in extremely rare cases, could result in data loss when upgrading a library from an earlier version of iPhoto.
A support document walks through the process to prevent this from happening. The instructions, however, are a bit confusing. It seems you must upgrade to iPhoto 9.0.1 after you've installed iLife '11 but before you launch iPhoto for the first time. The launching if iPhoto initiates the upgrade process to your iPhoto library which is where data loss can occur.
Before an existing iPhoto library can be used with iPhoto '11 it must be upgraded. This process occurs when you open your library with iPhoto '11 for the first time. In extremely rare cases, if you do not follow the recommendations below during the upgrade process you may experience data loss. This article outlines the various events that may occur during the library upgrade process and offers advice on how to avoid data loss.

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhoto 9.0.1 to Address Data Loss

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Great, now I can install the new iPhoto. I already purchased iLife but dared not to upgrade iPhoto due to its issues.

There's a lot of threads on Apple discussions too... its a shame Apple didn't do more testing. Perhaps they were more interested in their mobile stuff than to release an iLife 11 that didn't delete your photos.

Data loss is unforgivable, by all indications the issue was simple: file system permissions - which should have been in the QA Test Plan.
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101027093832151

Anyway, I'm looking forward to iPhoto 11, its great that Apple fixed it so quickly.. unfortunate that this bug slipped through due to lack of QA.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
the version numbers are making this confusing.

iPhoto 8.x = iPhoto '09
iPhoto 9.x = iPhoto '11

As best I can tell you need to

1. Install iLife '11
2. Install iPhoto 9.0.1
3. Launch iPhoto '11 to let it upgrade your library

in that order.

arn

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Perhaps this is an idiotic question, but I'm thinking about one issue...

When you buy iLife '11, and you get iPhoto installed, it's installing 9.0.0, right? Only after that's installed, and has replaced the previous iPhoto, the update occurs in Software Update to bring it to the most recent version - now 9.0.1.

Wouldn't a problem like transitioning to the new iPhoto still exist? That install disc still has the problematic 9.0.0 version, which could potentially still lose data before you get the chance to update, even if you do it right after you install it.

I'm probably not being clear. Maybe someone understands.

-------------------------

the version numbers are making this confusing.

iPhoto 8.x = iPhoto '09
iPhoto 9.x = iPhoto '11

As best I can tell you need to

1. Install iLife '11
2. Install iPhoto 9.0.1
3. Launch iPhoto '11 to let it upgrade your library

in that order.

arn

Well, that answered my issue. Thanks, Arn. On top of things before they even happen. :p

Worksafe

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
Upgrade/Update

Seems to me this happened last year when Aperture went to Version 2. I waited till Apple brought out a patch since people were having trouble with updating their libraries when they installed the update.

Apple dropped the ball on this one. Hopefully they will test future updates alittle more throughly before releasing them.https://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Since when does Microsoft make iPhoto software, oh wait I got confused, I didn't realise Apple made ****** software ;) this is one of worst moments, data loss is the worst issue that could occur, I will think twice, backup my data and spend a while on MacRumors before installing OSX Lion :D

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It only addresses the data loss bug, so don't get your hopes up that it fixes all the others issues with iPhoto '11.

The 9.1 update can't come soon enough.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Thank goodness nothing bad happened to me...I don't think. I did have a quirky issue where on the first launch my smart albums didn't show anything in them (and some of them were missing, the actual photos weren't). Creating a new smart album with the same settings got it back.

Thing is, I closed iPhoto, came back two days later and everything was back, the broken smart albums were fixed.

There are heaps of graphical bugs in iPhoto '11 though, where the image section would overlap the expanding photo bar at the bottom and going full screen would cause redraw distortions of the picture.

And finally: can we turn off media key controls (remote, keyboard) for iPhoto?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
The data is not lost, just the links to it. The originals remain intact - but the media has to sensationalize everything to get clicks.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I've already upgraded my library without updating iPhoto. I think everything is there, but is there an easy way to tell if something has been deleted?

timmodugdale

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Madison, WI
Now it doesn't launch

I upgraded before I read this article. I had installed iPhoto 11 and updated my library yesterday. Now I ran this patch and iPhoto won't launch at all. I even moved my iPhoto Library out of my Pictures folder. No luck. Ideas?

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
personally, i believe that this is the perfect reason for me to wait until 9.0.1 makes its way into the retail channel on DVD's. I think its a better idea to wait for a seamless way which wont corrupt my database.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
Data loss is unforgivable, by all indications the issue was simple: file system permissions - which should have been in the QA Test Plan.
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101027093832151

How is data loss unforgivable if its a consumer maintenance issue? How ever, hind sight would suggest the installer repair photo permissions as part of the update process would have been a great idea.

That link shows a tip for repairing iPhoto permissions, but it seems to go the long way around it when iPhoto has this built in

Holding option+command when launching iPhoto brings up an option to repair permissions.

How is data loss unforgivable if its a consumer maintenance issue? How ever, hind sight would suggest the installer repair photo permissions as part of the update process would have been a great idea.

That link shows a tip for repairing iPhoto permissions, but it seems to go the long way around it when iPhoto has this built in

Holding option+command when launching iPhoto brings up an option to repair permissions.

I don't know a lot about file permissions. But if they just go bad on their own all the time, how should a consumer be expected to know when it is vital to run permissions repairs? Say you run it, and then the permissions go bad again before you open iPhoto. How is the user supposed to know a permission has gone bad and when to run it? I guess they could sit there running permissions all day long like in that Lost bunker where they have to enter those numbers endlessly or the world ends.

I honestly don't know about this stuff, but it seems like expecting consumers to know this stuff goes against the "It just works" mantra. Apple must agree that consumer electronics are going in that direction as well because Apple would have never released an iPhone or iPad where users had to do maintenance.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
Does iPhoto 11 still wants to use its hidden folder for your photos?

Is there a way to have iPhoto 11 to use your own folder only for your photos?

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2010

Apple has released a version update for iPhoto that should prevent the possibility of data loss when upgrading to iPhoto '11. A support document walks through the process to prevent this from happening. The instructions, however, are a bit confusing. It seems you must upgrade to iPhoto 9.0.1 after you've installed iLife '11 but before you launch iPhoto for the first time. The launching if iPhoto initiates the upgrade process to your iPhoto library which is where data loss can occur.

Arn there is a fine line between rubbish articles and sensationalist ones. Ok we get it you have to make a living but don't be desperate about it to the detriment of apple. "To address data loss issues" is a rubbish claim, there are no data loss issues, there is a rare bug here, and it's been corrected. So save us the sensationalism and report this as it should be reported. You are taking advantage of common folk here, and scaring them fearing they might lose their data. In all these forums here with thousands of people no one really lost their data irretrievably, so what is this rubbish all about then other than getting people worked up and driving hits here? Get it together cause you are hurting the community, and the community doesn't like you for doing that. Anyone playing games on apple's back is going to get it hard at some point, and you are not going to like it when it happens. You are riding the coattails of apple here, so be a good boy and dont't try to bite the hand that feeds you.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
The data is not lost, just the links to it. The originals remain intact - but the media has to sensationalize everything to get clicks.
I think this is correct.

Today, I installed iLife 11. When I ran it and updated my photos, i had about a half dozen events that did not have any pictures or just a few of them. The "not visible" pictures in these troubled events showed up as black boxes and appeared to be "missing".

I re-imported the missing pictures (and all of the pictures in the original event) from these events from my SuperDuper backup to iPhoto 9. iPhoto asked me if I wanted to import the "duplicates". I did this and now I had a new event for this import. I did this for all the troubled events. Then I deleted the blank or mostly blank events. These deleted black boxes show up as visible jpegs in the trash.

So yes, I believe the links are missing, not the originals.

And to find my originals in the SuperDuper backup I found them at user>Pictures>iPhoto Library, then right clicking on the iPhoto Library, >show package contents>Originals. Then I went to iPhoto toolbar > File> Import to Library > and select Originals from the backup in the show contents window.

Wish I would have waited until this evening. Might have been much easier. I had already changed permissions to all RW so I thought that would work.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
I don't know a lot about file permissions. But if they just go bad on their own all the time, how should a consumer be expected to know when it is vital to run permissions repairs? Say you run it, and then the permissions go bad again before you open iPhoto. How is the user supposed to know a permission has gone bad and when to run it? I guess they could sit there running permissions all day long like in that Lost bunker where they have to enter those numbers endlessly or the world ends.

I honestly don't know about this stuff, but it seems like expecting consumers to know this stuff goes against the "It just works" mantra. Apple must agree that consumer electronics are going in that direction as well because Apple would have never released an iPhone or iPad where users had to do maintenance.

I have only been a mac user for about 3 years, one of the first things I was taught was to repair permissions before an update and also after to help prevent any issues. That being said, apparently the iPhoto permissions are not effected by something like Disk Utility or Onyx. Why else would they build into iPhoto a way of repairing permission issues if it was not necessary at some point in time? In saying that I have no idea what actually causes them to get messed up in the first place?

tnick777

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
I pissed my pants when my computer said I had a software update.

I thought it was 10.6.5 :(

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

bouncer1 said:
MacRumors said:

Apple has released a version update for iPhoto that should prevent the possibility of data loss when upgrading to iPhoto '11. A support document walks through the process to prevent this from happening. The instructions, however, are a bit confusing. It seems you must upgrade to iPhoto 9.0.1 after you've installed iLife '11 but before you launch iPhoto for the first time. The launching if iPhoto initiates the upgrade process to your iPhoto library which is where data loss can occur.

Arn there is a fine line between rubbish articles and sensationalist ones. Ok we get it you have to make a living but don't be desperate about it to the detriment of apple. "To address data loss issues" is a rubbish claim, there are no data loss issues, there is a rare bug here, and it's been corrected. So save us the sensationalism and report this as it should be reported. You are taking advantage of common folk here, and scaring them fearing they might lose their data. In all these forums here with thousands of people no one really lost their data irretrievably, so what is this rubbish all about then other than getting people worked up and driving hits here? Get it together cause you are hurting the community, and the community doesn't like you for doing that. Anyone playing games on apple's back is going to get it hard at some point, and you are not going to like it when it happens. You are riding the coattails of apple here, so be a good boy and dont't try to bite the hand that feeds you.

1. I am usually accused of being pro apple

2. Apple calls it a "data loss" issue albeit rare.
This update addresses issues that, in extremely rare cases, could result in data loss when upgrading a library from an earlier version of iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.