Apple Releases iTunes 12.7 With Major Changes, Including No Built-In App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Counting Steps macrumors newbie

Counting Steps

Well, as I mentioned, It synced from Dropbox fine and I assumed all was ok, however I've just tried to launch it for the first time and get the following error message:-

Couldn't communicate with a helper application.
    Try your operation again. If that fails, quit and relaunch the application and try again.

2. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Well, I extracted the the app from the time machine backup, hoping it would be sufficient for launch.
    I don't know, which dependencies or helper applications it requires, but my idea was: it would re-create those on first launch. Too bad, my backup didn't catch the dmg...

3. saytheenay macrumors member

Thanks for trying--appreciate the effort and sharing it!

4. Counting Steps macrumors newbie

Counting Steps

@Even Longer - yes, thanks for trying.

Do you, or anyone else know if any of the 3rd party apps like Syncios or iMazing will be of any benefit going forward?

5. HeadphoneAddict macrumors regular

HeadphoneAddict

I have only tried Configurator 2 once, to see if I could figure out on my own how to add an app to my iPhone, using a MacBook that isn't even sync'd with my iPhone (I sync on the iMac with a 6TB iTunes library), and it worked. I don't understand ANY of the other functions of Configurator 2 yet.

QUESTION - Is there a way to have Configurator 2 read my iPhone and save a profile or something that remembers what Apps I have on the iPhone, so if I need to set it up as "new" after I update to iOS 11 then I can then get back all the apps that I had on it before, without having to do it one app at a time from memory?

6. saytheenay macrumors member

Yes--kind of like iTunes, actually: create a backup (there should be a menu option).

7. Even Longer, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

I don't know, how these apps should be able to download the .ipa's from the store.

As for me: I think, I will stay with the newest Configurator + tethered-caching to get the apps I need to sync across, since AFAIK tethered-caching does not require the ethernet connection in high Sierra anymore.

8. HeadphoneAddict macrumors regular

HeadphoneAddict

Thanks, I've already backed it up in configurator 2, but if I want to restore just the apps and the app's data at some point in the future, will the restore function do only that, or will also restore other data and settings as well (and maybe even media)?

9. roastspud macrumors newbie

10. Chidorin macrumors newbie

it is automatic though you have to have iOS 9.3 or OS X 10.11.4, log in to your icloud

11. saytheenay macrumors member

If you mean sync your books to iOS iBooks, I think (but I am not positive) you can still load them into macOS iBooks and sync through iTunes like you can in iTunes 12.6.x.

12. Cigsm macrumors 6502

Podcasts are bugged then they’ve ever been. Welcome to 2017

13. jk73 macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm two things before I update to 12.7 (or the presumably forthcoming 12.7.1):

1. Do non-Apple e-books and PDFs stored in iBooks continue to sync to iOS devices just like before, *without* using iCloud for the storage/sync?

2. What happens to non-Apple-bought files marked as audiobooks (e.g., speeches and other non-music audio files I have saved in iTunes, which currently sync to iOS devices via iTunes)? Does iTunes still sync them to iOS devices?

Thanks very much.

14. Stratcat31 macrumors newbie

That didn't work for me

15. Playfoot macrumors member

I was looking for solutions to the effective loss of cellular data post "upgrade" to iOS11 when I stumbled across this thread.

My goodness, without reading all the pages, it seems this is a silly idea if only for loading my own ringtones AND not having to download / update every device repeatedly by WiFi. I write WiFi as I seem there are limits on downloading large files on my devices.......I have never understood the reason there would be limits.

And what about backups? We do not use iCloud?

And what about the transfer of documents?

And what about the transfer of images?

And why would the radio be in a different location? Now have to switch applications to listen music and radio?

I could continue . . . .

16. wiivile macrumors regular

How do you edit a playlist now without dragging and dropping? How do you sort?

17. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

I am wondering if SynciOS can be an iTunes alternative in order to back up and restore apps? Has anyone used this?

http://www.syncios.com/mac-ios-manager/

Install and manage iOS Apps on Mac
    Take full control over your personal apps . Backup, transfer and restore the apps and files you wish. Install and remove any app on iPad/iPhone/iPod freely. Simple and secure apps management for you!

• Install application from Mac to any iOS device without iTunes.
    • Backup and restore apps.
    • Remove iPad/iPhone/iPod apps and app data to free up valuable space.
    • Transfer apps between iOS devices.

18. David Murray macrumors newbie

David Murray

Yep, it's more about purchasing apps, not downloading and syncing them with your computer. I've stopped buying new apps and download new ones not so often as 4 - 5 years ago, so it's not a big deal to update them on the iPhone :)

19. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Does backup and restore on iTunes still do all the apps and data? (sorry for not wading through 42 pages, got bored after 8 pages).

A few times I've had to wipe and restore devices, bit of a pain if it means manually downloading all the apps, then what of the data?

20. vexorg macrumors 6502a

The more I think about this change, the more it annoys me. We have a common PC for the whole family, and iphones, ipads, ipod touches. A simple set of tick options for each device on iTunes meant no messing on each individual device. Not so bad now as my kids are older, when they were younger I kept a strict control over them when it came to online and spending. Cant see how parents will easily manage that now.

Purchased apps were always done through the PC as it gets back up regularly. It also meant devices could share apps within the family.

21. RecentlyConverted, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

RecentlyConverted macrumors regular

Unfortunately this is like with their iOS releases. "Here’s the new cool features, there are hundreds more that we don’t have time to talk about" speech. They don’t mention all the functions they have moved that you have to re-find, have broken or at worst removed! Now when a new iOS comes out I don’t think what’s been added, I think what have I lost. Now it’s going to be the same for iTunes!

22. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

In case anyone likes older version of iTunes, Here's a screenshot I took today:
    upload_2017-10-5_14-39-10.png

iTunes 10.4.1 runs just fine along with High Sierra.
    I gave the old version a different name, myTunes, so it's not replaced during the install.
    Dirty install of HS onto external spinner did not replace my iTunes 12.7 copy either.
    That works too.
    I keep my music, a lib for each iTunes version, on the Mac's slow 5400rpm spinner.

If you're having trouble downdating your iTunes, don't give up.
    High Sierra is not a deal breaker on this.

23. RecentlyConverted macrumors regular

Can you give more detailed info on the first part?

And are you saying if I upgrade a machine running Sierra and the last iTunes to High Sierra, iTunes is not upgraded.

24. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

This all started some time ago, when I realized that iTunes 12 was not a place I wanted to go.
    Here's a thread. There are many others, by other people too. Someone eventually put together a complete "how", but I don't remember who, or what the thread was called. Some searching around the 2014-2015 timeline should find it.

25. mpainesyd, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

I too would like to know if anyone has syncios working with ios11 and High Sierra. The developer's website does not seem to cover this and it is a bit of a catch 22 - need to have both installed in order to test but no going back if it does not work!

Update
    The Syncios website states "Syncios currently doesn't support backing up apps on iOS 9 and above devices..." but it is not clear if you can install apps with ios11 or how you download them directly from the app store to the Mac so they can be installed on several ios devices. It seems that you must download them directly to one ios device, use Syncios to copy it to the Mac (but apparently not for ios9+) and then (maybe) install it on other devices:
    http://www.syncios.com/online_help/syncios-ios-management.html#q5