Apple Releases iTunes 12.7 With Major Changes, Including No Built-In App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. saytheenay macrumors member

WARNING: Apple updated Apple Configurator 2 today. If you are on iTunes 12.6, do NOT update Apple Configurator 2! When you start it up after updating, it gives you this modal message:

'The required framework "AirTrafficHost" is out of date. Please update iTunes.' ​

And it won't let you do anything after that--it forces you to close the dialog (which closes the Apple Configurator 2 window) or "retry", which fails until you install iTunes 12.7.

I will not downgrade to iTunes 12.7, and Apple Configurator 2 will not run until I do, whereas before updating Apple Configurator 2 tonight, it worked fine.

Anyone on iTunes 12.7 that is willing to upgrade Apple Configurator 2 to see if it still works as expected?

2. spr4yer macrumors newbie

spr4yer

Removing this feature from iTunes has caused an issue with anyone who uses Apple Configurator 2 to manage multiple iPads. It's more than likely down to the left hand of Apple (iTunes) not knowing what the right hand (Configurator) is doing.

Fortunately I found a workaround. If you download the App to an iPad connected to your Apple account then when you restart Configurator the app will appear in the list. I've just had this exact problem and this was how I managed to get the app onto the MacBook and push out to the other iPads.

3. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Podcasts and custom ringtones are still a thing?

4. bigchief macrumors 6502a

According to my iPhone 6 MacRumors app needs to be updated.

5. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Dang it......found out too late. Updated this morning and unable to launch C2 without iTunes 12.7
    Now looking for a solution to install C2 2.4.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    What's next, apple removing apps from my Mac or iPad because they are no longer available in the app store? We legally purchased the app. If the app is no longer available for download, and no longer available in our purchased history, we should have the option of a refund. I wish people would stop making excuses for apples poor decisions. And start holding them accountable.

6. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

It's clear (to me at least) that Apple's reason for removing the iOS app store from iTunes is because of the 32-bit/64-bit app issue. When an app is purchased from the app store within iTunes, Apple doesn't know what type of device this app will be attempted to be installed on. A person with a 64-bit iOS device could purchase a 32-bit app (without knowing the incompatibility) and then try to install it and have it fail. That will result in a lot of customer calls.

By removing the app store from iTunes and requiring the app to be directly installed on the device from the device, Apple can restrict the purchase of the app based on the device.

This seems to be the "underbelly" of Apple's simplistic approach to things. Things work great at the beginning, but as features and functions need to be added, things have to be patched on and tacked on causing more convoluted solutions than would've been had they had a broader view of things from the get-go. I'm seeing similar issues discussed with the Files app.

7. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

My question is if I install IOS11 on my 10.5 iPad Pro what happens if I try to back it up to my iMac that is still on 12.6. Read the whole thread and not really seen an answer. Will it back up everything except the four 32 bit apps I have? Thanks for the help.

8. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Easily solved with a warning. Apple was sending warnings to Idevices long before iOS11 dropped. Or remove all 32 bit apps from the app store. In any event, this does not explain why apple has removed access to our previously purchased apps. If apple removes 32 bit apps, any we have purchased in the past should be in our purchase history. Just another instance of apple telling us how we should use their products.

9. AZMecha macrumors member

AZMecha

Hi All

Since the major change in iTunes 12.7. I am curious would you support a full version of iTunes that has the iOS app store and [light] version that just has the music player and backup support option?

Since this change, all apps getting ready for iOS 11 I have daily app updates 10-20 plus. As most some are my games that are over 100mb which require to update over wifi.

I want my ability to download through iTunes

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You mean two versions of itunes? I guess I would support that, but I don't think Apple would as it might create customer confusion and they would have to support two different versions of the same program.

I have to think there was a better way to handle all of this. Instead Apple has just made a mess of things.

11. Eternal Bliss macrumors member

As many people have written that removing AppStore from iTunes reduced bloat in the latter I was curious about the sizes of the apps. I checked the system requirements for both 12.6 and 12.7--and they both require 400MB of hard disk space. There is no information about RAM requirements or usage. But there is no reduction in bloat in the size of the app.

I used the following to obtain the system requirements.

Download iTunes 12.6.2
    https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1934?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Download iTunes 12.7
    https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1814?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

12. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

13. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Thanks for the warning - I popped into this thread tonight just to look for this info about the new Configurator 2 ver 2.5, and you saved many of us.

14. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Unfortunately cant find Configurator 2, 2.4 .dmg
    Sigh.....

15. Even Longer, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

16. HermanMunster macrumors newbie

It's a borderline case alright, of madness...

17. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

18. Eternal Bliss macrumors member

Even after doing this?

2. In the Get Info window look at the bottom pane for Sharing & Permissions. To delete the app permissions need to be changed to "Read & Write." To change them (I changed all of them) click on the tiny lock icon in the lower right corner and type your admin password (probably the same as your log in).

3. Close the Get Info window and move iTunes to the trash. Don't delete yet. If it won't move to Trash, double check that all permissions are "Read & Write."
    Somebody else wrote to do the following instead of the above.

1. use appzapper to delete itunes 12.7​

19. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Here is the Apple Configurator 2.4 App, in case you need it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/86ljskayt94h6an/AAA9OQZeWROBofxwKUT4rvMYa?dl=0

20. sunwukong macrumors regular

sunwukong

Yup. I have taken to buying music elsewhere now, where I have the option to download just an mp3 if I want, without it being enveloped in proprietary software and hardware that are showing signs of going where I wish to not go. I now am converting everything so that what I've bought is decoupled from whatever software or store or authenticating server. Photos and music, can do fairly straightforward, albeit cumbersome, but movies bought through iTunes, am stuck; so not buying those from iTunes anymore. They've made such changes in direction with their desktops, laptops, OS, iOS, "iLife" apps, that they are going where I don't want to go. Is their products, they can do what they want, and they'll probably make tons of money, but I am saddened by having to get off the Apple product train because I choose not to change what I do and how I use things to conform to their direction. Instead of joy, excitement, anticipation towards Apple's products and services, I have fear, anxiety, sadness, caution, vigilance.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    I'm with you there. I've got 100+GB in that folder. I've started making daily backups of those app files as well as the ones that get put in the Trash when iTunes 12.6 updates apps there. I find myself just wanting to do what I can to have copies of these things on my desktop. Hopefully if I just stay on 12.6 I can continue to have at least local access to these, but I would think the day is coming when iTunes 12.6 will not be able to pull app updates down, and that will be that. Until then, though, I am keeping copies of everything so I have something on my desktop. Am not comfortable with only being able to use mobile device for app management.

21. nemodomi macrumors member

nemodomi

22. Raist3001, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

23. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

You're welcome.

I didn't try it yet, but I would completely remove the 2.5 via Terminal or with something like AppCleaner (great little app). Then just launch this 2.4 (you can put it in your Applications folder first, but it is not necessary).

Let me know, if you were able to revert.

24. Keepsmiling macrumors newbie

Keepsmiling

Was going to wait until the weekend in case this went south I'd have time to try to correct - gave it a whirl tonight - I used the version described above in making all permissions read and write as opposed to the app zapper method - had to make them ALL "read and write" but it worked like a charm!

25. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

I don't see a .dmg?