Apple Releases iTunes 12.7 With Major Changes, Including No Built-In App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

If Apple wants iCloud to be a backup service then purchases should be backed up there, regardless. Nobody comes and takes stuff out of my house when those items go out of production. They don't go to my storage unit and destroy my collections of no longer produced material. When bands get in legal disputes with their record companies they don't send agents to my house to reclaim the albums since they can no longer be sold.

I guess the young growing up in such an environment won't know the difference as it will just be "the way it is" but I'm not willing to invest "real"money in digital goods that can be reclaimed at will by the distributors.

If iCloud is to be a backup service then things I back up there need to be considered "in my possession" legally and should be eligible for molestation by Apple. Every digital item I buy and mark as to be backed up in iCloud are there forever until I choose to eliminate them. It is our legal right to have backups of our purchases.

If Apple can molest my backups at their pleasure then iCloud is a worthless service that I will never trust for even basic data backup let alone allow all the private contents of my life to be stored on it. It has lost all integrity in this way.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Help! Having some trouble installing two apps that I purchased in the German app store years ago before I moved back to the US. I have the IPA files, but I cannot get Configurator 2 v2.5 to install them on my new phone. C2 hangs in the "starting sync" phase. Any ideas what might be causing this, or any other way around this? I also tried logging into the German app store on the phone, but for some reason it doesn't show the apps as "purchased" and I don't want to risk just clicking the "buy" button (since they are quite expensive).

What a stupid change. :mad: This used to be trivial with the old iTunes versions.

3. tuyylihk macrumors member

Just got the 8+.
    Still using iTunes 12.6.2 to backup my 7.
    Try to restore the backup to 8+....
    ...ah. Not support with the 8+
    Nice Apple. This is the first time Apple really annoying me.

I have already got 50 GB in iCloud. So this time I need to go with 200GB...
    (As you can see I also have an iPad)
    Not a big deal with the money, still I am not happy with this.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Only just noticed, they removed the "edit playlist" button. Now it's a two step process! (Unless you open the playlist in a new window, but that's not ideal on a laptop screen).

5. Eternal Bliss macrumors member

Could it be that the apps will not work on the version of iOS that is on your new phone?

6. Rigby macrumors 601

No, they do work, they just didn't show as purchased when I switched to the German app store for some reason. But I just managed to install them by dragging the ipa files to the "on my phone" box in iTunes (after "authorizing" the German store). :) Never would have found that on my own; seems like they made it intentionally obscure.

7. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Just for those curious...

I upgraded my iPhone 7+ to iOS 11 and I can still use iTunes 12.6.1 to sync it. I've copied music, installed apps, and re-arranged apps.

Good luck!

8. Eternal Bliss macrumors member

I was curious. Does iTunes 12.6 also check for and get updates to apps now that your iOS device is running iOS 11?

9. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

iTunes does show me the list of apps that can be updated, but I haven't tried to update them. I've updated the apps OTA from my phone, so it now has newer versions that what's on my Mac. Plus, most of the apps iTunes shows with updates are not apps I have installed on my iPhone.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to state: Devices that initially ship with iOS 11 require iTunes 12.7.

10. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

No, its an app itself. I didn't save the .dmg back then, but the app (from my backup).

11. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

Please forgive me, Im even more confused
    How does this get installed then?

12. Tech198 macrumors G4

You can still do ringtones in iTunes 12.7

For those that need it:

- Get info on song in your library.
    - Adjust Time start/stop must be 30 seconds.. I think 40 is too long.
    - Create AAC version..
    - Rename to .m4r file in /Music/iTunes Media Library (important)
    - Connect device
    - Drag and drop to 'Tones' in Itunes, then sync.

I got The Tech Guy theme :D

13. Eternal Bliss macrumors member

I think that it has been mentioned here before but in case it has not: The latest version of Safari (v11) for MacOS no longer launches iTunes (v12.6) when visiting an iTunes webpage. Previously it would, which was a convenience. Now it is necessary to find the app in the AppStore in iTunes.

14. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Just browsing "Mobile Applications" folder and noticed there are ipa files from 2010 for APPs that I don't have on any existing iPhone or iPad (probably from iPhone 3 days) - my thought is that perhaps the ipa files only get "over-written" if and when, a new version was updated?

I have my iTunes library and the same folder in a separate drive for over 10 years and it looks like every ipa is there since I bought the iPhone 3 - quite a few of the ipa files are 2010 / 2011

good chance you have that "Flight Control" ipa still on an old back up - might not work on the new iOS though?

15. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Completely remove the 2.5 version (as mentioned above), then just download and copy mine 2.4 to your Applications folder. Launch. ;)

16. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

2.5 has been completly removed.
    When i download your file, i get a contents folder. Placing the contents folder in the applicaions folder doesnt give me the ability to launch it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    Or you can just use garageband to create ringtones. Very easy.

17. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

I just uploaded tha app „as is“. Don’t know, why you’re getting the folder contents... Maybe this is some weird Dropbox thing, - did you try to change the downloaded file extension to an .app?

18. nicho macrumors 68000

I deleted my whole Mobile Applications folder and apps in itunes a while back because of the amount of storage that games I wasn't playing anymore took up (50+GB), so it wasn't stored locally. But it doesn't work on iOS 11 you're right. I uninstalled it again.

19. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

I tried changing the contents folder to contents.app, but that did not work.
    Must be a dropbox thing as the file is named Apple Configurator 2.app, but all I get after download is the contents folder.

20. Counting Steps macrumors newbie

Counting Steps

I found this too. Downloading directly resulted in the contents folder, however, when I used the option to download to my Dropbox it resulted in Apple Configurator 2.app.

21. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

Yep, I get the apple configurator 2.app as well if I download to dropbox. But even if I download the file from dropbox to my Mac, I get the contents folder. I think it has to do with my Mac automatically uncompressing the file after download. I know there is an option in safari preferences to change this behavior. I will check on this after work today.

22. Counting Steps macrumors newbie

Counting Steps

I just let Dropbox sync to my Mac and it was fine.

23. Raist3001 macrumors 6502

Raist3001

Even better idea......Thanks :)

Did you just remove the .zip and left the file as Apple Configurator 2.app?

24. Counting Steps macrumors newbie

Counting Steps

It just synced as Apple Configurator 2.app and now I've noticed v2.5 is showing in my App Store updates, which I'll ignore.

25. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Hey guys, did you manage to get the .app from my dropbox yet? If not, I could make a .zip from it, if there is some issue with the dropbox.