Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Great decision Apple. Who downloads iOS apps on their Mac anyway?

Anything that removes bloat from iTunes is good for me.

Anything that requires me to download the same app five times is ill considered.

Is Apple maybe planning on bringing fiberoptic cable to the boondocks now? Sounds great, somehow I must have missed the memo. /S

I will not live to see that even if it happens, so I'm not acquiring any more apps and will be ruthless in paring down not only what apps I bother with any more, but what devices I bother retaining and buying in future. I have uses for all five of the ones I do maintain now, but I can get over that too. I could get over my craving for an iPad upgrade.

Wow, I can't believe Apple did this. This is worse than how they handle iCloud music library and Apple music. regarding upload/redownload of your own music for instance. That at least I understood the reasons for, more or less, although it's certainly an awkward solution to a problem that should be resolved between Apple and the music owners, and transparent to the end users.

But this... this is multiple downloads of a given app, one per iOS device, every single time a vendor releases an app update. Apps get updated frequently, I see dozens every week. Now x5 to apply each update. Give me a break. They busted something wasn't broken. Finally I really loathe Apple over something "new" they've put out there and it's this iTunes version.

Dear Apple: put up an app manager app. Make it optional. It's not that complicated. You just ripped the code out of iTunes 12.6.2.20, remember?

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
Other annoying thing about this is. If I have 30 apps on my 2 iphones and 40 apps on my 2 iPads. When I have 20 or 30 updates at once, I update them on my computer and then just sync my devices. Now I have to eat up my data updating all those stupid apps on multiple devices. If apple didn't force you to update iTunes, there's no way in heck I would upgrade this. Everytime Apple does something right with hardware, they do something stupid and unecessary like this. This company is just hard to like.

razormaid

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2016
I was just curious. I have a couple of iPad Pro's as well.

Yes as a beta tester with NO WARNING beta 5 of IOS 11 removed 949 APPs. My iPad Pro backed up to my computer as normal then the message popped up “removed 949 apps not compatible”. Holy crap! These were maticulously places in hundreds of catogory folders. Now just “gone?” And now THATS my backup?? Oh crap!

This was a month ago. Why not wait till September 19 to let the developers finish updating their apps and see which ones get updated before dumping them a month out?

Thank god I had NOT plugged in my iPhone yet! So I took my new 512GB iPad, reloaded iOS 10.3.3 then one app at a time re-added all my apps back into all their folders. It took 3 days but it was back the way I had it.

This iPad will not be updated ever because there’s over 1,000 of my 3,000 apps not even in the store anymore. Including over 300 that were for kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade school apps.

Make sure before you upgrade to iOS 11 go to SETTINGS-> GENERAL -> ABOUT-> APPLICATIONS-> click and look very carefully through that list. Those are all the ones that you will not be using (or seeing) once you install iOS 11.

It’s been a horrible mess trying to convert back. This has not been like any previous beta testing I’ve ever been through before where it deletes things on purpose and they’re just GONE! With no warning

Please please be careful!!

Last edited:

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I can see that I'm SKIPPING this update too. Another "Bag O' Hurt" ?

Where do my IOS backups go? To Timmy Land?

Better backup your iPhone and SYNC it, then save the IOS file. Although, god knows what use you'll have for it.

This just seems so poorly announced secretly to fool people into unwittingly doing the update. And then it's, "OH CRAP!" for them. :(

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Anything that requires me to download the same app five times is ill considered.

Is Apple maybe planning on bringing fiberoptic cable to the boondocks now? Sounds great, somehow I must have missed the memo. /S

I will not live to see that even if it happens, so I'm not acquiring any more apps and will be ruthless in paring down not only what apps I bother with any more, but what devices I bother retaining and buying in future. I have uses for all five of the ones I do maintain now, but I can get over that too. I could get over my craving for an iPad upgrade.

Wow, I can't believe Apple did this. This is worse than how they handle iCloud music library and Apple music. regarding upload/redownload of your own music for instance. That at least I understood the reasons for, more or less, although it's certainly an awkward solution to a problem that should be resolved between Apple and the music owners, and transparent to the end users.

But this... this is multiple downloads of a given app, one per iOS device, every single time a vendor releases an app update. Apps get updated frequently, I see dozens every week. Now x5 to apply each update. Give me a break. They busted something wasn't broken. Finally I really loathe Apple over something "new" they've put out there and it's this iTunes version.

Dear Apple: put up an app manager app. Make it optional. It's not that complicated. You just ripped the code out of iTunes 12.6.2.20, remember?
I bet they have a solution so you won't get screwed over.

I'm totally spoiled with Google Fiber but I can totally understand your feelings. That would piss me off if they didn't move the App Store to the Mac App Store or a desktop manager.

Reactions: vlad_djkax

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Apple need a dedicated
I am that 1%, and I'm actually happy if it's going to make iTunes user friendly again. As long as it restores my apps when I restore via iTunes like before, then I definitely don't mind this at all. The first good change to come to iTunes since iTunes 12 was released if it causes performance to be so much better.

How does it make iTunes easier to use to remove that functionality? It's not like anyone had to look at it if they didn't use it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Yes as a beta tester with NO WARNING beta 5 of IOS 11 removed 949 APPs without warning. It backed up to my computer then the message popped up “removed 949 apps not compatible”. Holy crap! These were maticulously places in hundreds of catogory folders. Now just “gone?”

This was a month ago. Why not wait till September 19 to let the developers finish updating their apps?

Thank god I had NOT plugged in my iPhone yet! So I took my new 512GB iPad, reloaded iOS 10.3.3 then one app at a time re-added all my apps back into all their folders. It took 3 days but it was back the way I had it.

This iPad will not be updated ever because there’s over 1,000 of my 3,000 apps not even in the store anymore. Including over 300 that were for kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade school apps.

Make sure before you upgrade to iOS 11 go to SETTINGS-> GENERAL -> ABOUT-> APPLICATIONS-> click a d look through that list. Those are all the ones that you will not be using or seeing once you install iOS 11.

It’s been a horrible mess trying to convert back. This has not been like any previous beta testing I’ve ever been through before where it deletes things on purpose and they’re just GONE! With no warning

Wow that's crazy.

So much for Star Command.

Reactions: old-wiz

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Skype for example has updated its software which is garbage it has 2 stars and many people are dissatisfied I use iTunes to sync an older version that is better than the current one so that functionality is gone and what about ringtones I do create my own and don’t like either default ones nor the ones on iTunes Store.... hoping that someone would come up with a solution. I beginning to dislike Apple altogether

Reactions: Kevenly and tICM

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I guess Apple would rather 100% of people get better performance at the expense of 1% of total users who used that outdated functionality.

Spoken like a true fanboy. 1% you say? You clearly did studies on this right? I don't see outdated functionality here. I see something I want to do RIGHT NOW before ITS GONE!

How will I be able to copy everything from my old iPhone to my new one. Last time I did that, I just synced iTunes to the new phone and DONE! Will I now have to RE-BUY every APP?

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??? EVIL TIMMAY!

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Yes as a beta tester with NO WARNING beta 5 of IOS 11 removed 949 APPs without warning. It backed up to my computer then the message popped up “removed 949 apps not compatible”. Holy crap! These were maticulously places in hundreds of catogory folders. Now just “gone?”

This was a month ago. Why not wait till September 19 to let the developers finish updating their apps?

Make sure before you upgrade to iOS 11 go to SETTINGS-> GENERAL -> ABOUT-> APPLICATIONS-> click a d look through that list. Those are all the ones that you will not be using or seeing once you install iOS 11.

You had 959 apps on your iPad?
Bruhh..-Meme-Picture.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.