Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Download was faster than it took me making a tortilla. Install was faster than it took me to eat it.

While eating, I watched the install process, and noticed it did its usual bleeps, resolution changes and restarts, using the left monitor, then the right, then the left. Why the actual eff does it do that? Why not just put the files where they belong, run the install scripts and be done with it?? It's not like it's commendable emulating the WIN-DOS experience…

After restart, only one of my monitors were on, and with a 2K resolution suitable for old guys like Tim Apple. Why can't they just accept and respect my 4K native preference at all times without EVER meddling with it?? I REALLY can't understand that.

Now waiting for the obligatory "Supplemental Update", that I will never install anyway.

Reactions: madmin

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
10. I now have two folders in my Trash (sorry Bin) that I can not delete, even using Terminal.

Oh! Oh! I can help on this one!

Have a look at ⁤aaplCore’s suggestion (Post: "Mar 7, 2019 1:46 AM in response to sticky moments")

Start at this point:

DataVaults are folders to which neither the user nor third-party software has any access at all. The only software which can see and work with their contents are certain Apple-signed products which have a specific entitlement to do so.

At this time, the only other method to acquire access to the directory is to turn off SIP (About System Integrity Protection on your Mac - Apple Support)

Reboot your computer into Recovery Mode by holding down Command + R on startup

Open Terminal from the Utilities menu

Run command:

csrutil disable

Reboot your computer

Login

Run command:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Reboot your computer into Recovery Mode by holding down Command + R on startup

Run command:

csrutil enable

Using ⁤aaplCore’s suggestion was the ONLY way I could get rid of those items in my trash. I hope this works for you.

araadt

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
That's not the point. Of course I too am grateful they're fixing it. But them being "on it"? Clearly, they're not. QC is out the window. Been with the Mac since System 7. There's a distinguished drop in quality. Catalina has been an absolute mess compared to other macOS releases.

You're right—Catalina has not been without it's issues. We've both been along for the ride for some time (I've been around since System 3.0, in some form or another) so we both know that this is a much more complex ecosystem now than it ever was with, say, Mojave, Sierra or Yosemite, etc. More features, more legacy support, more bugs. I'd rather be here than on a Windows system though.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Somehow Ubuntu doesn't have that problem.

Bloat kills any system, not just WIN-DOS.

You're right—Catalina has not been without it's issues. We've both been along for the ride for some time (I've been around since System 3.0, in some form or another) so we both know that this is a much more complex ecosystem now than it ever was with, say, Mojave, Sierra or Yosemite, etc. More features, more legacy support, more bugs. I'd rather be here than on a Windows system though.

Reactions: araadt

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Wish they would fix the the eGPU issue on startup - want to install an update? I have to play cable swap games and power down my eGPU to even restart my computer.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Except for V10.15.5, I have had no issues with Catalina at all. Of course, I did not start until V10.15.3 was released, as that is when Tech Tool Pro had a compatible version available. I also did a clean, fresh installation. V10.15.4 and V10.15.6 have also been fine for me.

So, as long as I see no issues (that would affect me) with V10.15.7, I will upgrade to it. But thinking of doing a clean, fresh installation of it on both of my Macs.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Indeed, there has not been a 10.x.7 release since Snow Leopard in 2011.

I realize things are odd this year due to Covid, but I'm glad Apple is staggering releases a bit more this season. I hope they consider returning to longer development cycles and spacing out releases during the year as they used to, thus (hopefully) shipping better software and allowing products to reach further maturity through updates before the next version ships. They are trying to throw too much stuff out the door at the same time every year and it is impossible for any organization to do that well. One or two things at a time, please!

After the disastrous MobileMe launch, Steve Jobs sent a mea culpa email, including the following:

Apple has more than enough to do with each major OS release. Slow it down, stagger the releases, and get stuff right.
Very well said and wholeheartedly agreed.
Wow, that’s quite the interesting and honest email. Especially with just potentially releasing at a later date without consequences.

I understand that Apple is a massive company that can do a lot of separate stuff at the same time by millions of each thing to boot... however there’s always a bottleneck that happens to be a human, there’s only a handful of tech leads lead by the chief for their domain be it for software, another one for research, another one for production and manufacturing, so on and so forth, not to mention that ultimately there’s only one person at the head of it all, the CEO.

Honestly, I would rather wait with a perfectly working device for the hopefully perfectly working replacement. I had a hiccup with an iMac and while I was waiting for the 2020 one I was using a 2013 (SSD and extra Ram)... and damn, at some point I was wondering if I really needed the latest one because it still works as when new. Of course, when the new one arrived, heck yes, the difference is jaw dropping in performance, however is good to know that there will be that sort of backup plan in case. Not to mention that “transplanting” the user from one machine to the next, it just works.

Same with smartphones and tablets, I really don’t care if Samsung releases a 2x more pixels packed screen, with triple the ram, double the cpu cores and whatnot and risk exploding batteries for example. I would rather be at the bleeding edge but reliable hardware, software and services. Apple itself and the customers pay the price of rushing things often.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Wish they would fix the the eGPU issue on startup - want to install an update? I have to play cable swap games and power down my eGPU to even restart my computer.
If you got some time, what’s the startup issue? I got a Razr non chroma box waiting to put it to use, but haven’t done the proper diligence :/

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Why would one use this instead of the updater?

I’m here for the 5700 XT fix. I’ll be installing it tonight and keeping an eye out for issues.

Maybe try downloading the 10.15.7 combo update instead of doing it from System Preference->Software Update. The combo update has every update in it from 10.15.1 to 10.15.7. It can fix some issues that people have. I always try to use the combo update whenever possible. It might be worth a try for you. The other possibility is to do clean install of 10.15.7.

Reactions: MCKLMT

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That's not the point. Of course I too am grateful they're fixing it. But them being "on it"? Clearly, they're not. QC is out the window. Been with the Mac since System 7. There's a distinguished drop in quality. Catalina has been an absolute mess compared to other macOS releases.

Quality Assurance has been gone since Avie Tevanian left the company, as has documentation.

Could you reply here if you hear anything on your comment either positive or negative ?
Yes, I will. Just hope I can find on something definitive by Saturday, as that is when I could "upgrade" (ie, a clean installation of OS 10.15.7) after I complete my SuperDuper! backups of my current (and stable) OS 10.15.6 system on both of my Macs.

Jacky Tank

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020

Apple today released macOS Catalina 10.15.7, the latest update to the macOS Catalina software. macOS Catalina 10.15.7 fixes several major bugs that Mac users have been experiencing, and it comes a month after the latest macOS Catalina release.

Catalina10.15.7GFXFixArticle.jpg

The ‌‌‌macOS Catalina‌‌‌ 10.15.6 Supplemental Update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store using the Update feature in the System Preferences app.

According to Apple's release notes, macOS Catalina 10.15.7 addresses an issue where macOS would not automatically connect to WiFi, it fixes a bug that could prevent files from syncing through iCloud Drive, and most notably for new iMac owners, it fixes an issue that was causing a small white flashing line to appear on machines equipped with the Radeon Pro 5700 XT.Since the launch of the 27-inch iMac in August, there have been complaints about a graphical glitch with the model that includes the higher-end a 5700 XT GPU. Many users have reported seeing flashes of a horizontal white line, and while it was unclear if it was a software or hardware issue, today's fix indicates that it was indeed a software-related bug.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Catalina 10.15.7 With Fixes for WiFi Bug, 27-Inch iMac Graphics Issues
the accountsd process is using all cpu resources(400%+),again,the cpu fan is crazy

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Oh really? Any concrete proof of this?
Do you know Steve's life? He was involved in everything, down to the font type. Yes, Steve without question was involved in graphical decisions for the Mac and iPhone. On a micro level, and painfully so for the designers.

To your original point, it seems that you're suggesting that Tim Cook shouldn't be responsible for the iOSification of macOS. To that end I agree, Tim is more removed than Steve ever was when it comes to this sort of thing. Eyes on Craig Federighi on the iOSification of macOS.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The ‌‌‌macOS Catalina‌‌‌ 10.15.6 Supplemental Update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store using the Update feature in the System Preferences app.

You are referring to 10.15.6 Supplemental update in the article for the 10.15.7 update.

• Wow
Reactions: dickie001x

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Do you know Steve's life? He was involved in everything, down to the font type. Yes, Steve without question was involved in graphical decisions for the Mac and iPhone. On a micro level, and painfully so for the designers.

To your original point, it seems that you're suggesting that Tim Cook shouldn't be responsible for the iOSification of macOS. To that end I agree, Tim is more removed than Steve ever was when it comes to this sort of thing. Eyes on Craig Federighi on the iOSification of macOS.
Glad to know you know everything that goes on inside of Apple on a daily basis...

• Disagree
Reactions: FocusAndEarnIt

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Now that I won't have a choice I'm debating whether to archive a bunch of old mail before migrating or use something else on my desktop to back up mail.

When I move to a new major OS I just have all my e-mail re-download from the mail server. I have multiple e-mail accounts, no issues so far with re-downloading directly from the e-mail servers on more then one Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.