Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS High Sierra 10.13.1, the first major update for the new macOS High Sierra operating system that was first released to the public on September 25.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store on all compatible Macs that are already running macOS High Sierra.

macos-10.13.1-800x500.jpg

Today's update includes a fix for a serious vulnerability in the WPA2 Wi-Fi standard that protects many modern Wi-Fi networks. Using a key reinstallation attack or "KRACK," attackers could use a now-fixed exploit in the WPA2 protocol to decrypt network traffic to sniff out sensitive information like passwords.

The macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 update also brings new Unicode 10 emoji like crazy face, pie, pretzel, t-rex, vampire, exploding head, face vomiting, shushing face, love you gesture, brain, scarf, zebra, giraffe, fortune cookie, pie, hedgehog, and more. With skin tone and gender variations, there are hundreds of new emoji in the update, which are also available in iOS 11.1 and watchOS 4.1.

macOS High Sierra introduces APFS, a new more modern file system, HEIF and HEVC photo and video encoding improvements for smaller file sizes without compromising quality, Metal 2, and several new features for Safari, like autoplay blocking for videos and Intelligent Tracking Prevention to better protect user privacy.

For more on what's included in macOS High Sierra and the new 10.13.1 update, make sure to check out our macOS High Sierra roundup.

Update: For older Macs, Apple has also released security updates that address the KRACK WPA2 vulnerability.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 With New Emoji, WPA2 Security Fix

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Weird, I only see the iTunes update, the macOS update does not show up in the App store on my MBA with the most recent beta of 10.13.1 installed.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
It's already 10.13.1, but that's a full installer, not a combo update, because by definition, there cannot be a combo update for a .1 update.

Does anyone know if this will install for those of us that have OWC SSD Drives? Also, will it convert to the new APFS file system? Has anyone tried it yet?

Reactions: dabotsonline

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
All seems fine with macOS 10.12.6 (16G1036) as well.

Still no iOS 10.3.4, AirPort 7.7.9 or AirPort 7.6.9 though.

The lack of software updates to the Airport range ( especially the current models) is outrageous. Come on Apple get your finger out!

As you say iOS should get a 10.3.4 for this, as the problem was made known to them when iOS 10 was the latest OS. I would go further and say that an update for 9 and 8 would be nice. I believe Apple should provide software security patches for 5 years after selling a product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.