Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmac30

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Downloaded full installer. Created another usb patcher. Re installed 10.13.2 and fixed the Safari/itunes store problems. Now I have no audio through internal or external speakers.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
One question. Should I update now from 10.12?

You should always be updated to very latest software your system will support. People come up with numerous reasons they can’t or won’t update but none of them hold water. If nothing else security and stability fixes make your system more reliable. But the biggest thing you need to do is start ignoring all the negativity and naysayers who scream and holler in forums like this one. Public forums on the Internet greatly magnify and falsely inflate problems. The old analogy applies. If you walk into a hospital and only see sick people would you assume the entire population is also sick? No you would not. So if you read posts in a public forum and see a number of users reporting similar issues can you jump to the conclusion that everybody has those issues? No, you cannot? Millions of users are running High Sierra without any major issues. Also realize that public forums like this one are anonymous and you don’t have any way of knowing the competence, the situation, and the motives for what someone has posted about software updates.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
You should always be updated to very latest software your system will support.
Certainly the Very Large Corp I work for does not follow this suggestion. They vet this stuff, making sure security, interoperability and productivity don't suffer, then give the all clear. And for my personal Mac, keeping up with "the latest" has an impact on both productivity and, as it happened, security.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Hopefully this lets me use an external display without having to restart my computer half the time. Hoping it also lets my TB2 external HD stay connected without randomly ejecting itself.

Jerry Fritschle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
I've always updated to the new OS on the first day. With HS I held back on a hunch. I'm glad I did. Hopefully now that we're on .2 it will be stable and issue free enough to take the plunge. However, my current OS runs fine and there's no feature I'm wanting for.
If you have a compatible SSD (and they promised forthcoming Fusion support), APFS is the biggie.

gazzzmoly

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
They haven't fixed any of the MAIL program bugs and I'm sure this update will scramble all my server settings once again like always.

MAIL notifications come sometimes 5 minutes after you've already read the email and deleted it! UGH!

Command-B in MAIL is BOLD if you type Command-B TWICE. Apparently, they can't figure out how to get the first keystroke to work properly.

I have reported these bugs and unlike in previous Mac OS testing, I've gotten no response from Apple or even acknowledgement. I used to previously testing Yosemite and El Capitan, but no more. It's like they just don't ***** care.
[doublepost=1512591093][/doublepost]

I think you're onto something. One of my drives kept getting ejected until it no longer works. I guess that's a feature? :D

I have a problem with mail, were it only collects from an exchange server once. Either a full shutdown of mail or a reboot fixes it. Other mail apps work fine.

Mal Blackadder

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2017
United Kingdom
On the first update try my MacBook screen turned teal green during restart. :eek: Then I got an error that the update failed. AppStore started downloading it for the 2nd time, it seemed the download was smaller this time. I don't remember the exact file size but it was definitely less than the first time. Did the firmware update failed? I'm worried...

How can I check if the firmware update passed? And why was the 2nd download smaller??? HELP!!! :confused:

EDIT: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518 this support site is obsolete.

I had a similar experience, first attempt was something like a 1.66gb download and second attempt was around 1.18gb.

Reactions: ParanoidDroid

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
I’ve got 2x 4K LG monitors connected via DP (dungles) to a TBMBP and everything crashes (wake problems, displays not responding, etc.) when I updated 10.13.1 is it worth trying 10.13.2 ?

I am having lots of crashes on 10.13.1 too with two 5k LGs someone said they think it is Touch ID related...

I am about to upgrade to find out...

Just need 10.4 FCP also to solve more of the crashing problems....

JPColorado

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Ran the update on my Patched 2008 Mac Pro and when it rebooted I had a notification that some of the updates had not installed. Although the version reflects 10.13.2. Went to check app store and it won't load. None of my Safari or Firefox will load either. Chrome works.

Thank you for the heads up on problems you had updating to 10.13.2 on unsupported hardware with patched OS.

In my case, the security patch 2017-001 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208331 released for 10.13.1 on my mid 2009 MacBook Pro applied OK until a reboot... Scanning HT208331 - it appears that all of the 10.13.2 security patches are "available" in this 10.13.1 security patch.

After I rebooted my unsupported MacBookPro5,5 High Sierra 10.13.1 with security patch 2017-001, I had to re-install the High Sierra Patcher post installation patches and then reboot with a cache rebuild. The security patch now seems to be installed and OK.

My pre-edited post was before I rebooted and went down the road of an El Capitan supported system patched to run +- under High Sierra. Running High Sierra on this hardware requires turning OFF SIP which allows several attacks.

Last edited:

imarkdesigns

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
hmmm... not sure what was happen. after successfully installed the 10.3.2 update, iMac does not respond to reboot, just turned out to black screen for 15 minutes or more... so i manually reboot the machine and installation initiated from there, got an hour of installation and after, boom. Mail, Safari and some portion at my System Preferences are not responding. Either error or it will quit immediately.

Anyone experienced this?
~ iMac 2011

mwined

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2017
They haven't fixed any of the MAIL program bugs and I'm sure this update will scramble all my server settings once again like always.

MAIL notifications come sometimes 5 minutes after you've already read the email and deleted it! UGH!

Command-B in MAIL is BOLD if you type Command-B TWICE. Apparently, they can't figure out how to get the first keystroke to work properly.

I have reported these bugs and unlike in previous Mac OS testing, I've gotten no response from Apple or even acknowledgement. I used to previously testing Yosemite and El Capitan, but no more. It's like they just don't ***** care.
[doublepost=1512591093][/doublepost]

I think you're onto something. One of my drives kept getting ejected until it no longer works. I guess that's a feature? :D

On a whim, I decided to test your assertion of a bug in Mail that requires you type command+B twice. It worked on the very first press.
10.13.2 installed a couple of hours ago. No scrambled mail settings at all, across my 4 email accounts.

bbbobbb

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Mine failed twice using the App Store updater. I downloaded the full 10.13.2 updater and that took around 1 hour 10 minutes to install. It hung on "calculating time remaining" for around 20 minutes. This is on a 27" late 2015 iMac. All seems OK now that it has finished, though.

This! 27" 2017 iMac, calculating time remaining now for about 25 minutes....fingers crossed it isn't FUBARED, MB Pro updated in about 5 minutes...

Last edited:

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
I hope the USB thing is fixed. Measured USB audio performance from various Macs differs greatly where it should not. I've noted this in various reviews over at Headfonia as well as my site. Specifically, ALO's CDM, Chord's MOJO, and even COS Engineering's USB performance between an iMac and a MacBook Pro differ by as much as 20dB in SNR, noise, or stereo separation. The iPhone's USB (if the output device requires little wattage to run) matches the MacBook Pro's in all cases.

After updating to High Sierra, my Lynx Studio Technologies HILO stopped working. It's back up and running fine, but recent updates have been a bugger.

Reactions: zapmymac

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
After updating today, a "MacBook Air 2" showed up under my devices and there's no way to eject it so far as I can tell. Any suggestions what I should do at this point? Thanks.

thedommer2000

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
I hoe this helps. My RME UFX has been flaky ever since I got my new Mac. It works but goes funky way to frequently, especially on intense sessions. Its like it loses sync.

mst129

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
Did they fix the "random shutdown during sleep" bug? My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) has been doing this ever since upgrading to High Sierra.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Now Finder unresponsive. Force quit it. Nothing. Launched activity monitor got the menu and selected restart. Now it’s just the pinwheel for the last 10 min. Ridiculous Apple. Can you focus on your OS instead of Emoji and trying to be a Hollywood kissarse.

Reactions: LinkinJunior
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.