Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced new 5B59 firmware for the AirPods 2, the AirPods 3, the original AirPods Pro, and the AirPods Max, up from the 5B58 firmware that was released in November.

AirPods-3-New-Firmware-Feature.jpg

Apple does not offer immediately available release notes on what's included in refreshed firmware updates for the AirPods‌, but the company does maintain a support document with release information.

There is no standard way to upgrade the ‌AirPods‌‌ software, but firmware is installed over-the-air while the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to an iPhone or an iPad should force the update after a short period of time.

You can check your ‌‌‌AirPods‌‌ or ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌ firmware by following these steps:
  • Connect your ‌‌AirPods‌‌ or ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌ to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
If we find notable changes after the firmware updates are installed, we'll update this article, but the software likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max

Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Let’s hope this fixes the insane battery drain. I’ll fully charge my AirPods Pro 2 and with light usage the case will be down to 30-50% in 24 hours.

EDIT: either I read the article wrong or they edited the OP, but the APP2 will not receive this firmware update. Here's hoping a later update fixes the excessive battery drain.

Last edited:

johnmarki

macrumors regular
May 13, 2020
This update fixed my Airpods 3! I was literally minutes away from scheduling a genius visit. I had extremely low volume in my left earpiece no matter if spatial audio was on or off. It also seems to fix my syncing issue I was having between MBP / iMac Pro / iPad Pro / iPhone PM where it would sync to ALL of the devices and would send a jumble of audio from all of the devices. Honestly, it was kind of neat to hear certain sounds from other devices for about 20 minutes, but it was highly confusing and became an issue when actually trying to focus on one device. I hope this can solve some other bugs that some of you have been mentioning. Still a joke that we cant manually update these simply.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
If it works…. Make the ANC slightly worse over a 2 years period to sell the same earphones with a different name later. How can I NOT “update”?. It should be MY right to decide if I don’t want to “update”.

Reactions: t0rqx and johnmarki

Eldaerenth Faexidor

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2022
If it works…. Make the ANC slightly worse over a 2 years period to sell the same earphones with a different name later. How can I NOT “update”?. It should be MY right to decide if I don’t want to “update”.
I have a sense that this AirPods firmware upgrade thingy has the iPad weather app curse. A toggle for auto update will come, but it will take another 15 years to arrive. So until that time.. hang in there, buddy.

totom_

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
Let’s hope this fixes the insane battery drain. I’ll fully charge my AirPods Pro 2 and with light usage the case will be down to 30-50% in 24 hours.
Unlikely as the update is not for the APP2. However, I have the same issue.

acblue94

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

Apple today introduced new 5B59 firmware for the AirPods 2, the AirPods 3, the original AirPods Pro, and the AirPods Max, up from the 5B58 firmware that was released in November.

AirPods-3-New-Firmware-Feature.jpg

Apple does not offer immediately available release notes on what's included in refreshed firmware updates for the AirPods‌, but the company does maintain a support document with release information.

There is no standard way to upgrade the ‌AirPods‌‌ software, but firmware is installed over-the-air while the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are connected to an iOS device. Putting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to a power source, and then pairing the ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌ to an iPhone or an iPad should force the update after a short period of time.

You can check your ‌‌‌AirPods‌‌ or ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌‌ firmware by following these steps:
  • Connect your ‌‌AirPods‌‌ or ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods Pro‌‌‌‌‌ to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
If we find notable changes after the firmware updates are installed, we'll update this article, but the software likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max
My AirPods Pro hasn’t updated firmware in years. No way to force it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.