Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I guess I got a counterfeit? I have 3 MagSafe chargers, one doesn't show up under General->About. Weird. I can't remember where I got this one in particular, but I'm sure it was in genuine packaging. But now I see on reddit where the counterfeit packaging is getting super sophisticated now.

My fake even has a serial number on the cable near the USB-C end! These fakes are getting really good, I can't tell any physical differences from a real one.

EDIT: pretty sure this one came from Woot. Even though I bought it a year ago, I sent them a note indicating I believe they sent me a fake. Dumb on me for trusting Woot, but I'll know better next time.

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Reactions: robotica

AppleEnthusiast1995

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2022
I plugged my MagSafe charger into my iPad Air 4 but it did not do anything and I looked in the Settings> General> About and it didn’t show up under any listed devices like my Apple Pencil or Magic Keyboard. Any tips?

Reactions: zapmymac

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I plugged my MagSafe charger into my iPad Air 4 but it did not do anything and I looked in the Settings> General> About and it didn’t show up under any listed devices like my Apple Pencil or Magic Keyboard. Any tips?
Sounds like you may have a counterfeit one unless you bought it from Apple directly and in that case, good question.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Sounds like my situation, i.e. fake :(

Try putting the serial number in here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/us/en/

The serial number is printed on the cable itself, near the USB-C end.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Just like the MagSafe battery pack. The best way to update these is to plug it into a Mac. It will update within the minute. You can see the version in the System Information app too. The MagSafe wireless data transfer speed is way too slow, it will take hours to update from an iPhone.
But if you don’t have a newer Mac or iPad you have no choice

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Maybe the update fixes the very low volume when placing the iPhone on the charger. Since ios16 mine has experienced this.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I really wish they'd make a 2m version of this. The cable is just too short for use while charging.
Belkin has a 2M version.
Belkin BOOST↑CHARGE™ PRO Portable Wireless Charger Pad with MagSafe Special Edition

1664921329426.png

• Disagree
Reactions: JapanApple

jpmohr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
I purchased my MagSafe Charger in Nov. 2021, but it still shows 174.0.0.0. It hasn't even updated to 247.0.0.0 and certainly not to 255.0.0.0.
If it's supposed to update, I can't figure out why it hasn't.
I only use it with the USB-C wall adapter and my iPhone 13 Pro.

Today, I tried plugging it into my Mac mini, but it didn't do any updates.

My MagSafe shows Model A2140, Firmware Version 174.0.0.0 (under iPhone's Settings > General > About: Apple MagSafe Charger).
On my Mac mini, which shows Version as 1.74 (System Information > USB: Apple MagSafe Charger).

Am I missing something? It works as-is, so maybe it doesn't matter....

Reactions: zapmymac

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
To get the info, you need to put iPhone on the MagSafe charger then use iPhone to check the version.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011

I plugged mine into iPad Air 4 with iPadOS 16.1 and it did nothing. Plugged into iMac M1 with MacOS Ventura and nothing happened. It did not show up in System Report under USB. Plugged into iPad Air 5 with iPadOS 15.7 and it updated.

Daikin

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2019
Now, if you come to stick your first-gen AirPods Pro to the firmware-updated MagSafe at full moon, you will still get Adaptive Transparency on your first-gen pods for a 25-minute trial period. You only need to stroke the charging case during this trial period.

According to Tim, that stroking may be longer, if desired...

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Had no idea this thing got updates, too. How dumb, especially since we don't even know what's changed. Mine's on 174.0.0.0, apparently, but it's taped down and the only computer with a type C plug is in another room, so I guess it's never getting updated. Would've preferred it with a type A plug anyway.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Further thoughts on my counterfeit MagSafe: The printing on the USB-C end with the p/n and serial number looks identical to a genuine version. The counterfeit charger (occasionally) even displays the "ring" animation when you first connect the iPhone. I might have a way to measure power draw of the counterfeit, but that's probably more effort than I want to extend at his point.

Plug the MagSafe into a USB-C Mac and use System Report to look under the USB device tree for a genuine MagSafe charger. My fake one just doesn't appear at all within the tree.

If you want to force-update your MagSafe firmware, I had good luck connecting to a MacBook, ensure it can reach the internet, and let it sit for 5+ minutes.

Last edited:

Popcorn69

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Had no idea this thing got updates, too. How dumb, especially since we don't even know what's changed. Mine's on 174.0.0.0, apparently, but it's taped down and the only computer with a type C plug is in another room, so I guess it's never getting updated. Would've preferred it with a type A plug anyway.
My magsafe was 174.0.0.0, i plugged it in directly to my M1 macbook air and it upgraded it to 255.0.0.0 within a minute.

Popcorn69

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I purchased my MagSafe Charger in Nov. 2021, but it still shows 174.0.0.0. It hasn't even updated to 247.0.0.0 and certainly not to 255.0.0.0.
If it's supposed to update, I can't figure out why it hasn't.
I only use it with the USB-C wall adapter and my iPhone 13 Pro.

Today, I tried plugging it into my Mac mini, but it didn't do any updates.

My MagSafe shows Model A2140, Firmware Version 174.0.0.0 (under iPhone's Settings > General > About: Apple MagSafe Charger).
On my Mac mini, which shows Version as 1.74 (System Information > USB: Apple MagSafe Charger).

Am I missing something? It works as-is, so maybe it doesn't matter....
If you plug it directly to a mac via usb c it will upgrade to 255.0.0.0. I used my M1 macbook air. I did have version 174.0.0.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.