Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released updated firmware for the MagSafe Duo charger that is designed to work with the Apple Watch and MagSafe-compatible iPhone models. The new firmware is version 10M3063, but in the settings app, you'll see a 256.1067.0 version number, up from 186.0.0.0.

magsafe-duo-perspective-feature.jpg

The MagSafe Duo was first released in 2020 alongside the iPhone 12 models, and it has not had a firmware update before. This is the first time Apple has tweaked the MagSafe Duo firmware, and with no notes available, it's not clear what's different.

Apple's MagSafe Duo is meant to charge an iPhone and an Apple Watch, but it does not work well with the oversized Apple Watch Ultra. In fact, Apple published a support document instructing people on how to best adjust the Apple Watch Ultra to charge with the device. In some cases, the band needs to be removed before the Ultra and the Duo can work together, and the Apple Watch Ultra is not listed as a supported device on the MagSafe Duo page on Apple's website.

There is no clear method for updating the ‌‌MagSafe‌‌ Duo's firmware, but it needs to be plugged in and connected to an Apple device for a firmware update to initiate. You can check your ‌‌MagSafe‌‌ Duo firmware by following the instructions in our MagSafe how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases New MagSafe Duo Firmware

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
A few things:
- This charging mat/pad/thing has a firmware?
- How the hell do you update the firmware of a charging pad?
- Why does it need a firmware update anyway?
No idea to 1 and 3, but hopefully you can plug a cable into a USBC device and get the update and not just have to wait and hope it updates sometime. I was restoring/updating my HP Mini, and it was flashing red. I thought the evil cyborgs would arrive soon. But at least I got to use my C port on my laptop for something. And used iTunes for the first time in years.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
A few things:
- This charging mat/pad/thing has a firmware?
- How the hell do you update the firmware of a charging pad?
- Why does it need a firmware update anyway?
I think everything in technology, generally, has firmware. And, these days, maybe an OS of some kind. The difference comes in whether or not they’re updatable.

andboom

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
London
Apple carelessly designed the new iPhone 14 Pro cases so that they no longer fit on this charger's MagSafe connector properly and lift off by about 1mm because the camera frame on the case gets in the way. How did they not think to test the cases with their own charger? That's a BAD Apple. It's even more annoying that I own two of these things.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Apple carelessly designed the new iPhone 14 Pro cases so that they no longer fit on this charger's MagSafe connector properly and lift off by about 1mm because the camera frame on the case gets in the way. How did they not think to test the cases with their own charger? That's a BAD Apple. It's even more annoying that I own two of these things.
This bothers me as well. It works with my iPhone 14 Pro, but it feels so clunky to not have the phone fit properly. And that’s a real shame, because the MagSafe Duo itself is beautifully simple and effective.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The pricing of this thing remains absurd. It’s more than a HomePod mini and the kicker is this “charger” doesn’t even include a charger in the box!
I’m just fine with the pricing, as I can’t think of anything comparable (without compromises) and I wouldn’t have wanted an included charger as I’d rather use one of the many I already have. I’d rather pay less of course, but it was worth it for me.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I think everything in technology, generally, has firmware. And, these days, maybe an OS of some kind. The difference comes in whether or not they’re updatable.
Just a small pedantic point, I doubt that anything that has a firmware would not have an OS. You need a low level OS to update a firmware or do anything that a firmware would do. (I understand that firmware is generally very low level below the main OS. That is not to say, it' does not have it's own OS at a lower level.)

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I don’t believe the portion about there being no prior firmware updates is accurate. The version number on mine has changed several times - usually in sync with the standard MagSafe charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.