Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apple carelessly designed the new iPhone 14 Pro cases so that they no longer fit on this charger's MagSafe connector properly and lift off by about 1mm because the camera frame on the case gets in the way. How did they not think to test the cases with their own charger? That's a BAD Apple. It's even more annoying that I own two of these things.
I read the article's title as "Apple Releases New MagSafe Duo", only to be disappointed with "... Firmware" postfix.

I love my MagSafe Duo but it is overdue for a refresh -- fast charging with Apple Watch, USB-C connector, and new design to accommodate larger camera bumps.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Apple carelessly designed the new iPhone 14 Pro cases so that they no longer fit on this charger's MagSafe connector properly and lift off by about 1mm because the camera frame on the case gets in the way. How did they not think to test the cases with their own charger? That's a BAD Apple. It's even more annoying that I own two of these things.

Still charges iPhone 14 Pro just fine though. All good. It's a lovely product, really great for the bedside table & for travel 😊

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Your iPhone will automatically install the update on the charging pad wirelessly at some point, or you can plug it to a Mac, which for other MagSafe devices has been previously reported to update it faster.
So does this mean that all MagSafe chargers have some sort of wireless communications chip inside to transfer data to and from the iPhone? Why did I not know this?

Reactions: RalfTheDog

nicolas17

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2020
So does this mean that all MagSafe chargers have some sort of wireless communications chip inside to transfer data to and from the iPhone? Why did I not know this?
That's how the phone tells the charger what charging power it supports, when it's done charging so the charger stops the induction coil, etc etc. Even standard Qi has a communication link like that.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
Either this means fast(er) charging for  Watch Series 7+ or it's a compatibility update/fix for yet-to-be-released devices.

Either way, I've had the Duo for about two years now and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Reactions: G5isAlive

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
this seems cool, didn't know it was a product. not worth the price though, time to find a knock off.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wish Apple would provide release notes for these firmware updates.

Agreed! I always ask developers to provide changelog notes. Some do a wonderful job, while others provide the same boilerplate text every time, which is annoying.

For this device, that's quite the jump in version numbers. That's a lot of changes between them, it would be nice to know what has changed.

Reactions: _Spinn_

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Can’t believe apple still sell this product, should have been updated ages ago with fast charging for apple watch
tbh my series 6 charges fast enough normally that I don't really feel the need for fast charging, it's not like the thing has a huge battery. Makes a difference on a phone or laptop, but on the watch it's not a huge difference.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I have Magsafe Duo and AW Ultra and I can confirm both works great!!

Sure it doesn’t have the fast charging feature, and it must be placed correctly while the Watch charger standing vertically.

The key is you must put the Ultra with digital crown facing upward otherwise the protruded case will get it misaligned, thus not charging.

MacHead84

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I am a guest in the land of smiles
I have no issue charging both my 14 Pro Max and AW Ultra even with a case on 🤷🏻‍♂️🙂

IMG_0015.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.