Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivhs72

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2019
I'm in the same boat. Updated my iMac but not my MacBook......on the plus side, it didn't mess up my iPhone....yet.....

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
Jeez is there a new “actively exploited vulnerability” every couple weeks? Seems like iOS is becoming a bit like Windows in this regard, needing constant security updates

Maybe that’s the price you pay for higher market share? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I used to feel invulnerable using mac/iOS, not so much these days

As the family IT human it also makes me worried about my parents, who I migrated to Apple products for the increased security (and ease of use). Thankfully I’ve managed to get them to keep auto updates on… but for every patched vulnerability how many are still waiting to be found?

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
Jeez is there a new “actively exploited vulnerability” every couple weeks? Seems like iOS is becoming a bit like Windows in this regard, needing constant security updates

Maybe that’s the price you pay for higher market share? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I used to feel invulnerable using mac/iOS, not so much these days

As the family IT human it also makes me worried about my parents, who I migrated to Apple products for the increased security (and ease of use). Thankfully I’ve managed to get them to keep auto updates on… but for every patched vulnerability how many are still waiting to be found?
with the new rapid response we are basically having to update our phones every 2 weeks. A little ridiculous

Tnpapa

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
Very simple fix for the Facebook problem. Go into the developer menu on Safari, choose user agent and then Other, it will come up with 16.5.2(a). Remove the (a) Everything will begin to work properly again.

UPDATE: never mind, the change does not survive a restart of Safari.

Last edited:

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Very simple fix for the Facebook problem. Go into the developer menu on Safari, choose user agent and then Other, it will come up with 16.5.2(a). Remove the (a) Everything will begin to work properly again.

That fixes Messenger for me, but Facebook is just broken in a different way.

And it looks like Chrome is broken too, so it seems to be a system-wide problem. I would try Firefox, but Facebook is so annoying and broken when it comes to validating an unknown browser I give up.

Last edited:

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Apple today released Rapid Security Response (RSR) updates that are available for iPhone and iPad users running the iOS and iPadOS 16.5.1 updates and the macOS Ventura 13.4.1 update.

Rapid-Security-Response-Feature-1.1.jpg

Rapid Security Response updates are designed to provide iOS and macOS users with security fixes without the need to install a full software update. Today's updates address an actively exploited WebKit vulnerability, so it is a good idea to update as soon as possible.

iOS Security Response 16.5.1 is available through the standard Software Update mechanism in the iPhone or iPad Settings app, but is a quick update, requiring just a couple of minutes to download the update and then a quick restart for the install process. The macOS update can be installed through System Settings.

Once the Rapid Security Response update is installed, iOS 16.5.1 users and macOS Ventura 13.4.1 users will see an updated version of the software, and tapping on the version in the About section of Settings will display information about the installed OS version and the Rapid Security Response update. Those who want to disable Rapid Security Response updates on iPhone can do so by following our how to. The updates can also be disabled on the Mac.

Apple has been testing the Rapid Security Response feature since last year, with RSRs first introduced with the launch of iOS 16 and macOS Ventura.

Article Link: Apple Releases Rapid Security Response Updates for iOS 16.5.1 and macOS 13.4.1 to Fix Actively Exploited Vulnerability
speedy update - no problem FB on iPhone or iPad - FB a LITTLE slow filling in.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Apple today released Rapid Security Response (RSR) updates that are available for iPhone and iPad users running the iOS and iPadOS 16.5.1 updates and the macOS Ventura 13.4.1 update.

Rapid Security Response updates are designed to provide iOS and macOS users with security fixes without the need to install a full software update. Today's updates address an actively exploited WebKit vulnerability, so it is a good idea to update as soon as possible.

iOS Security Response 16.5.1 is available through the standard Software Update mechanism in the iPhone or iPad Settings app, but is a quick update, requiring just a couple of minutes to download the update and then a quick restart for the install process. The macOS update can be installed through System Settings.

Once the Rapid Security Response update is installed, iOS 16.5.1 users and macOS Ventura 13.4.1 users will see an updated version of the software, and tapping on the version in the About section of Settings will display information about the installed OS version and the Rapid Security Response update. Those who want to disable Rapid Security Response updates on iPhone can do so by following our how to. The updates can also be disabled on the Mac.

Apple has been testing the Rapid Security Response feature since last year, with RSRs first introduced with the launch of iOS 16 and macOS Ventura.

Article Link: Apple Releases Rapid Security Response Updates for iOS 16.5.1 and macOS 13.4.1 to Fix Actively Exploited Vulnerability
OK but not OK. On M1MBA, FB told me browser not compatible and going to a “simpler browser version”???? I’ll wait as it’s not a cramp on my day. Hope it just gets fixed so Safari will do FB ok. FB fine on phone/pad.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque

For me, the change doesn't even survive closing and re-opening tabs of Facebook.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Glad I wasn't paying attention earlier today. They definitely pulled the update. I didn't update anything and it doesn't show as available on any device.

Definitely going to start giving Apple's updates a wait to see from now on. Looks like they're taking a page from Facebook by moving fast and breaking things.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Then there’s this, approx 11PM ET. Maybe it’s FB problem, not your security update?

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    526.4 KB · Views: 49
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.