Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on late Tuesday released revised versions of iOS 17.4.1 and iPadOS 17.4.1 with an updated build number of 21E237, according to MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris. The updates previously had a build number of 21E236.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Orange-Purple.jpg

The revised updates are available for all iPhone and iPad models that are compatible with iOS 17 and iPadOS 17, but they can only be installed via the Finder app on macOS and the Apple Devices or iTunes apps on Windows at this time. Apple has not made the new builds available over the air in the Settings app on the iPhone and iPad.

It is unclear what changed between the builds, if anything, but any potential differences are likely very minor. For those curious, we have confirmed that the new builds do not contain any references to unreleased iPad models.

There have been sporadic reports on social media about iOS 17.4 and iOS 17.4.1 causing some iPhones to get stuck in a boot loop, so perhaps the new build will allow those devices to be properly restored, but this is merely speculation.

iOS 17.4.1 and iPadOS 17.4.1 were first released last week with bug fixes and security patches.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised Versions of iOS 17.4.1 and iPadOS 17.4.1 With Updated Build Number

VPsmith

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2023
Doesn’t this seem sketchy to anyone??

First a build that doesn’t have release notes for days. Then we get this new weird build?

What kind of back door did Apple implement temporarily for the feds this time?

Aiii83

macrumors member
May 13, 2021
I mean hasn’t Gurman been saying for ages that the new iPad Pro release was delayed because Apple needed to finish a special version of 17.4? Might just be that, given that’s it not OTA or a 17.4.2 release.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

First a build that doesn’t have release notes for days. Then we get this new weird build?

I think it’s more so the software development team is dealing with a catastrophic nightmare: playing catch-up with iOS 18 development!

Apple’s software quality is manageable at best.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I did try updating thru Finder although it's forcing a local backup and of course I don't have enough space. No choice but to wait I guess.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008

No release notes is a feature at this point. It happens all the time and there is no clear indication of why they decide to be secretive about it.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Did anyone not running any version of 17.4.1 confirm whether this update shows up OTA?

Apple sometimes does these tiny rereleases when their previous build caused issues during install (e.g. bootloops or failed updates in general, they push out a hotfix that you wont get if you managed to update to that version already without issues).

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Why not just call it 17.4.2??

I also noticed that last night iTunes no longer allows installation of any version of 17.4… it worked totally fine just a few weeks ago. Why is Apple retroactively blocking an older firmware that is still currently signed? What is with all the strange software behavior lately??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.