Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
Try using Windows

I work actively with the big 3 (macOS, Linux, Windows) every day. The weak point for Microsoft is forcing upgrades on you. I've had involuntary Windows updates prevent booting. Windows is a dangerous choice for things you must depend on. Yes, very large corporations get access to the "stable" Windows edition. Most people and companies do not.

Reactions: MartyvH and DOD250

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
What I still find to be very odd is that iPhones & iPads should update based on the Build number, not the Version number. Whether it's iOS 17.4.1 or 17.4.1, the Build number is still one increment higher, which should technically be triggering an update on all Devices. What's more, the updated build being available via Finder but not on the Dev Portal is even stranger.

(Yes, I know it's not available OTA and that's why devices aren't seeing it. That to me is the strangest part of it all)

Last edited:

nicolas17

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2020
Any chance this update allows a phone running 17.4.X to connect to a watch running watchOS 9.X.X? I am not brave enough to try since I can no longer downgrade back to 17.3.1. So...anyone still running watchOS 9.6.3 brave enough to try?
Why would an unannounced update that doesn't even change the version number make a major change to watchOS compatibility? :oops:

Last edited:

nicolas17

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2020
What I still find to be very odd is that iPhones & iPads should update based on the Build number, not the Version number. Whether it's iOS 17.4.1 or 17.4.1, the Build number is still one increment higher, which should technically be triggering an update on all Devices. What's more, the updated build being available via Finder but not on the Dev Portal is even stranger.

(Yes, I know it's not available OTA and that's why devices aren't seeing it. That to me is the strangest part of it all)
This new 17.4.1 doesn't exist as an OTA at all. Even if you are on an older version like 17.4 and try to update, it will give you the "old" 17.4.1.

I think they fixed a bug specific to ipsw updates; DhinakG compared the two 17.4.1 builds and the only differences are in softwareupdated and MobileSoftwareUpdate.CleanupPreparePathService. If you already updated to the "old" 17.4.1, you're not really missing anything.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
You know Apple has more than one Dev team. The team working on bug fixes for 17 is not the same team working on 18.

And by the looks of it they also have a special, iOS 17.4.X dedicated team, completely independent of Team iOS 17 and Team iOS 18! 😋

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Thats more trustworthy then this odd not mentioned by Apple update. As a rule no OTA, no updating for my devices. This caused an early user that applied it to his iPhone to be non-bootable take it to the store, and after a reasonable warning about it, it’s an article early this morning.
But TBF, Apple is still offering this thru Finder. That’s what’s baffling to me.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I tried updating my 15PM from 21E236 to 21E237 with Finder. It downloaded and verified then got:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 16.19.23.png

It left the phone in Recovery Mode:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 16.56.49.png

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 16.58.10.png

First attempt in Recovery Mode failed again. Second attempt was successful, after rebooting the phone and connecting it direct to the Mac not through a hub. I have seen another report which left the phone in DFU mode.

notgonna

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2018
!!

See:

FIXED w build 237! 17.4 OTA update bricks iPhone a 12 mini, a 12. Apple Store Genius DFU Restores fail. Apple Configurator 2 fail. 17.4.1 fail​

• Wow
Reactions: katbel and brucemr

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
FYI Apple has now released iOS/IPadOS 17.4.1 (21E237) as showing on Apple developers pages, but not that it presents itself as a OTA at this point in time. It's not available to download, only for restore.

Last edited:
Reactions: eboychik and gank41

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm guessing mine is an isolated case, but in the event it isn't, be aware that when I attempted the Finder update of my iPhone, it bricked the iPhone.

Update: After 4 failed attempts to restore and 3 Mac reboots, I was finally able to restore my iPhone. I’ll wait for OTA updates in the future.

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Doesn’t this seem sketchy to anyone??

First a build that doesn’t have release notes for days. Then we get this new weird build?

What kind of back door did Apple implement temporarily for the feds this time?

Not sketchy, but I would like to know.

Could this be related to the restructuring of the Updates notes?

I installed macOS 14.4.1, and it, too, was missing the notes, which gave me pause.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
FYI Apple has now released iOS/IPadOS 17.4.1 (21E27) as showing on Apple developers pages, but not that it presents itself as a OTA at this point in time. It's not available to download, only for restore.

Yes, not needed by anyone except those that had a bad install the first one. That's why it's the same version number. Nothing new except a minor install fix.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Doesn’t this seem sketchy to anyone??

First a build that doesn’t have release notes for days. Then we get this new weird build?

What kind of back door did Apple implement temporarily for the feds this time?

It only feels sketchy to people who don't know software development and deployment.

It's sad when people must come up with some kind of conspiracy theory when they encounter something in the world, they don't understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.