Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Safari 4.0.3

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released Safari 4.0.3 via Software Update, offering fixes for several stability and performance issues, as well as security updates. The new version is also available on Apple's Safari download page.
This update is recommended for all Safari users and includes improvements to stability, compatibility and security including:

- Stability improvements for webpages that use the HTML 5 video tag
- Fixes an issue that prevented some users from logging into iWork.com
- Fixes an issue that could cause web content to be displayed in greyscale instead of color

For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit this site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.
Full details of the security content of the update have not yet been posted.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 4.0.3

applealex

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
California
Does Safari 4 still store screenshots from your visited webpages?

I once read a story of a guy who have like 36MB on his hard drive taken up by those images which according to him can't be deleted

that's keeping me from updating

Comment

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006

I once read a story of a guy who have like 36MB on his hard drive taken up by those images which according to him can't be deleted

Yes, it does, but they can be easily deleted.

Comment

rich2k4

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2009
Yes, it does, but they can be easily deleted.

i heard they fixed it though? i remember in the beta people were getting like 10 GB taken up by those images, but then when the final release came out, people said it was fixed.

Comment

irule1114

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
36mb???

What is so concerning about 36MB of space... I thought 36MB was not very much nowadays where hard drive capacities are in the hundreds of GBs.

Comment

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA

How small, exactly, is your hard drive that 36 MB is keeping you from upgrading? (Not that you shouldn't be able to delete them more easily, but...)

Comment

bhobbs3

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Tabs back on top

Ahh. I half expected this update to enable optional tabs-back-on-top. I loved them! Can't we make everyone happy?

Comment

windon

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
Progress Bar Back?

Until the progress bar comes back I am not updating all the machines. I know they will bring it back - some one has to talk to all those Netscape coders and explain the joy of GUI.

Comment

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
Installed, rebooted. No news so far.

Safari still hates me for trying to open multiple tabs right after it's launched.

Comment

njl

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
SAT
1password is now not integrated.. i think.. i need to hit up their forum now.

Comment

physicsdude1

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
Ahh. I half expected this update to enable optional tabs-back-on-top. I loved them! Can't we make everyone happy?

So 4.0.3 does not include the tabs-on-top feature? So disappointing! I've not updated to any of the 4.0 releases because I was so happy with that option in the 4.0 beta and I don't want to give it up!

Amazing how I'm willing to forgo security updates just for that one feature!? Please, Apple, bring it back.

Comment

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Why is it always more stable ? Can't they just once and for all make it completely stable and not ever have to make it more stable anymore ? :D

Comment

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Could someone tell me if this fixes the problem of movies/audio playing in Safari without proper volume controls or 'Save As Source' option. Something that has appeared since Safari 4.0. It's not a Quicktime problem as Firefox is fine.

Comment

b0kaj

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
reboot for a web browser?

Why do I have to reboot my computer after installing a debug-release update of a web browser? It really beats me. Keep it separate from the OS... like a sane browser.

Comment

irule1114

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Why do I have to reboot my computer after installing a debug-release update of a web browser? It really beats me. Keep it separate from the OS... like a sane browser.

I believe it is because Safari is a core part of the operating system. For example, every time you go to help, you are really looking at Safari with a different UI.

You have to do the same thing with IE for Windows. Just get over it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.