Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170810-safari_icon.jpg

Apple today released Safari 4.0.5 for Mac and Windows, bringing a number of enhancements to Apple's Internet browser application.
This update is recommended for all Safari users and includes improvements to performance, stability, and security including:

- Performance improvements for Top Sites
- Stability improvements for 3rd-party plug-ins
- Stability improvements for websites with online forms and Scalable Vector Graphics
- Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers
Safari 4.0.5 is available via Software Update and Apple's Safari download page. The download weighs in at 30.52 MB (Snow Leopard), 38.59 MB (Leopard), 26.78 MB (Tiger), and 30.18 MB (Windows 7, Vista, and XP).

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 4.0.5

iTampon

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for notice. Upgrading now!

Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers
I had this problem. Nice to see it getting fixed so I don't have to fire up crappy Firefox.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Hopefully 5.0 public beta at WWDC 2010!?

Make no apologies for being a big fan of Safari. I have been really enjoying using the 64 bit version in Snow Leopard.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Where are the idiots who will complain about this software update, saying that Apple is neglecting MacBook Pros, Mac Pro, 30" Cinema Displays, et cetera ad nauseam?

:) :D ;)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but it does feel a lot faster. Good job, Apple.

:apple:

Oh, wait a minute...I haven't even installed it yet...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Hope this fixes those bizarre horizontal graphic distortions in Top Sites sometimes, when you see distorted images of your screen saver and other stuff overlaid on top of Top Sites... Makes no sense!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The new improvements combined with changing the DNS server with Namebench makes for a very nice experience.

Orre

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Any luck they re-enabled the TABS ON TOP feature? man i miss that from the beta

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
For years, I have been using Safari only. I tried Firefox on a Mac, Opera, SeaMonkey and Chrome, but I just loved that Safari supported multitouch gestures.

Then, a week ago I saw a thread about Safari. I joined and I saw some hardcore Mac fans slagging off Safari and wondering whether anybody used Safari at all.

I felt sad and for a whole day I used Firefox (now it supports three fingers) and Chrome. Actually, they were faster than Safari. But that's about it. Since I upgraded for 4GB RAM and I have a 7200rpm HDD, I hardly see any beach ball, which was a regular on my 13" MBP.

Things look just nicer on Safari. I'm not a web editor and I don't need Firefox's plug-ins anymore. So with this speed update, what's the point of using anything else than Safari (apart from annoying Jobs)?

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
It it update core web services it requires an update. There is more to safari than just the browser that gets updated.

Yes, I know. And if^H when Microsoft did that, there was howling and gnashing of teeth, wasn't there.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Kind of hoped that this would include the fullscreen API for HTML5 video, like Webkit does, but that's not the case. Oh well...

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Where are the idiots who will complain about this software update, saying that Apple is neglecting MacBook Pros, Mac Pro, 30" Cinema Displays, et cetera ad nauseam?

:) :D ;)

<---Idiot Right here.

Apple Consumer Electronics (ACE) should have fixed the issue with Top Sites months ago. The fact that fixes are still being pushed out by ACE, is a troubling fact indeed.

Oh, and don't get me started on the cluster XXXXX that is Aperture 3 from ACE, or the dated PowerMac era designs of the MacPro and 30 inch ACE-CD. Geeze, the design in 7 years old. To give perspective here, seven years ago, Kevin Costner was relevant to cinema - yep really makes you think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.