Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released an updated version of the 15.5 firmware for the Studio Display, with the update coming more than two months after the Studio Display firmware was last updated. The prior version of the 15.5 firmware had a build number of 19F77, while the new version is 19F80.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg

Apple's release notes for the update confirm that it addresses an issue with the Studio Display speakers. Since the launch of the Studio Display, there have been complaints about the speaker quality. Apple last week sent out a memo to authorized service providers, acknowledging that some customers have had issues with the Studio Display speakers cutting out or offering distorted playback.

Apple said in the memo that a future update would fix the issue, hence today's firmware update.

The Studio Display firmware can be updated by connecting it to a Mac. Studio Display owners can go to System Preferences > Software Update to install the firmware.

Article Link: Apple Releases Studio Display Firmware Update to Fix Speaker Issue

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I am starting a club.

It's called the "we just want "dumb" apple displays, no camera, no iPhone guts".

$1199 = 27"
$899 = 24"

Who is in?

Ehh $900 for a 24 inch 4K monitor is still pretty overpriced especially when you can get a Sony Inzone M9 for $900, and that monitor is 27 inch, 4K, 120hz, 800 nits HDR, and has more ports.

At max that 24 inch should be $700

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
So much blind hate for this product. I’ve had mine since day 1 and it’s been exactly what I’ve wanted for years.

It looks amazing, I’ve had no audio issues (though glad there’s new firmware), and the webcam now looks as good as any other built in webcam Apple ships in Macs, only with Center Stage (usefulness of that feature is debatable).

The only other 5K display on the market is ugly to look at, is 6 years old, and still costs $1,299. 4K is not the same as 5K. Hi-PPI/Retina is glorious. $1,599 is expensive but any $1,000+ display is a luxury item and I’m happy to have it.

Last edited:
So much blind hate for this product. I’ve had mine since day 1 and it’s been exactly what I’ve wanted for years.

It looks amazing, I’ve had no audio issues (though glad there’s new firmware), and the webcam now looks as good as any other built in webcam Apple ships.

The only other 5K display on the market is ugly to look at, is 6 years old, and still costs $1,299. 4K is not the same as 5K. PPI is glorious. $1,599 is expensive but the display is a luxury item and I’m happy to have it.
It's more so we want the iMac back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.