Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 5.3, the seventh update to the watchOS 5 operating system that runs on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 5.3 comes more than a month after the launch of watchOS 5.2.1, a minor update that expanded ECG availability.

watchOS 5.3 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

iphone-apple-watch-ecg.jpg

No new features were discovered in watchOS 5.3 during the beta testing process, but according to Apple's iOS 12.4 release notes, the new update, along with iOS 12.4, fixes a major bug in the Walkie-Talkie app that could allow it to be used to spy on people and it once again makes the Walkie-Talkie app accessible.

The watchOS 5.3 update also brings ECG support and irregular heart rhythm notifications to Apple Watch Series 4 owners in both Canada and Singapore. The ECG feature's launch in Canada comes a few months after Apple confirmed that it was working to bring ECG functionality to the Apple Watch in Canada "as quickly as possible."

Health Canada initially approved the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications on Apple Watch Series 4 in May. ECG capabilities are now available in more than 25 countries, following the feature's rollout to many European countries earlier this year. A list of countries where ECG functionality is available can be found on Apple's Apple Watch feature availability website.

Apple's full watchOS 5.3 release notes:
This update includes new features, improvements and bug fixes and is recommended for all users:
- Provides important security updates including a fix for the Walkie-Talkie app
- ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 now available in Canada and Singapore
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications now available in Canada and Singapore
watchOS 5.3 may be one of the final updates to the watchOS 5 operating system as Apple shifts its focus to watchOS 6, which is currently being beta tested ahead of a planned fall release.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 5.3 With Walkie-Talkie Bug Fix, ECG Support for Canada and Singapore

Reactions: ChunkAhoy

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
I love when I read this in aeticles about updates:

“May be one of the final updates...”

until, you know, the next upgrade.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I love when I read this in aeticles about updates:

“May be one of the final updates...”

until, you know, the next upgrade.

update is not upgrade. Update is for existing release, upgrade is for new release. simple stuff
[doublepost=1563815994][/doublepost]
Likewise until I just spam refreshed it like the maniac I am and it showed up, so keep trying.

they stagger releases, not sure how, but if everyone tried at once, crash!

Reactions: Braderunner

Cursayer

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
I just installed 5.3 on my AW in Canada but don't see the ECG app.

What did I do wrong? Does my phone need to be on 12.4 as well?

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
GovCanadaHealth on Twitter was on standby waiting for the documents. If you check the Twitter page, they constantly answered tweets about why Canada does not support ECG. As soon as we got the filing, they wasted no time. You can tell when you check the time line of answering the tweets until the news went out in May that the documentation is signed on our end. Trust me, Canada has been waiting for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: sterumbelow

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I’m still waiting to hear about the mass avalanche of false positives clogging up doctors and hospitals. I was promised this would create havoc in healthcare and I’m still waiting to see it.

Reactions: HansHeino

Yung_dai

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2019
Same here

/edit

now found it

You’re talking about Watch OS 6 Beta 4 in Canada? You got it working?? Mine’s not working. I’ve done all the resets. What did you specifically do? The health App Doesn’t show my watch as a source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.