Apple Releases watchOS 5.3 With Walkie-Talkie Bug Fix, ECG Support for Canada and Singapore

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released watchOS 5.3, the seventh update to the watchOS 5 operating system that runs on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 5.3 comes more than a month after the launch of watchOS 5.2.1, a minor update that expanded ECG availability.

watchOS 5.3 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

[​IMG]

No new features were discovered in watchOS 5.3 during the beta testing process, but according to Apple's iOS 12.4 release notes, the new update, along with iOS 12.4, fixes a major bug in the Walkie-Talkie app that could allow it to be used to spy on people and it once again makes the Walkie-Talkie app accessible.

The watchOS 5.3 update also brings ECG support and irregular heart rhythm notifications to Apple Watch Series 4 owners in both Canada and Singapore. The ECG feature's launch in Canada comes a few months after Apple confirmed that it was working to bring ECG functionality to the Apple Watch in Canada "as quickly as possible."

Health Canada initially approved the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications on Apple Watch Series 4 in May. ECG capabilities are now available in more than 25 countries, following the feature's rollout to many European countries earlier this year. A list of countries where ECG functionality is available can be found on Apple's Apple Watch feature availability website.

Apple's full watchOS 5.3 release notes:
    watchOS 5.3 may be one of the final updates to the watchOS 5 operating system as Apple shifts its focus to watchOS 6, which is currently being beta tested ahead of a planned fall release.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 5.3 With Walkie-Talkie Bug Fix, ECG Support for Canada and Singapore

2. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

3. GtrDude macrumors 6502

GtrDude

Would like to see them work on the communications between the phone and watch instead of only adding new features.
    "Mirror Phone" is anything but...

4. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Yeah, took long enough. I'm excited to try it out later when I get home. I honestly thought they'd make us wait until WatchOS 6.

5. melgross macrumors 6502

I love when I read this in aeticles about updates:

“May be one of the final updates...”

until, you know, the next upgrade.

6. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Not showing up on iPhone running iOS 13 beta. Not sure if the beta is the reason, or it's just not showing up yet.

7. Eventer_ macrumors newbie

Same here

/edit

now found it

8. Fynd macrumors 6502

Likewise until I just spam refreshed it like the maniac I am and it showed up, so keep trying.

9. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Took my Watch off, and put it on the charger. Then, checked for update, and it showed up. Usually shows up whether or not Watch is on the charger.
    Maybe, it was just a coincidence. :confused:

10. MauiPa macrumors 6502

update is not upgrade. Update is for existing release, upgrade is for new release. simple stuff
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019 ---
    they stagger releases, not sure how, but if everyone tried at once, crash!

11. Cursayer macrumors member

I just installed 5.3 on my AW in Canada but don't see the ECG app.

What did I do wrong? Does my phone need to be on 12.4 as well?

12. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Maybe. Also have to set it up in the Health app on the phone.

13. GregJohn macrumors regular

GregJohn

Now just have to wait for them to add ecg in Watch OS 6 beta :p

14. Hi Tek, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019

Hi Tek macrumors regular

Hi Tek

GovCanadaHealth on Twitter was on standby waiting for the documents. If you check the Twitter page, they constantly answered tweets about why Canada does not support ECG. As soon as we got the filing, they wasted no time. You can tell when you check the time line of answering the tweets until the news went out in May that the documentation is signed on our end. Trust me, Canada has been waiting for this.

15. nezr macrumors regular

nezr

I can’t seem to get the ECG option to show up in the health app on beta iOS 13 beta.

16. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I’m still waiting to hear about the mass avalanche of false positives clogging up doctors and hospitals. I was promised this would create havoc in healthcare and I’m still waiting to see it.

17. Yung_dai macrumors newbie

Yung_dai

You’re talking about Watch OS 6 Beta 4 in Canada? You got it working?? Mine’s not working. I’ve done all the resets. What did you specifically do? The health App Doesn’t show my watch as a source.

18. mHurcomb macrumors newbie

19. kang8609 macrumors newbie

kang8609

do you have to be on ios 12.4 to be able to use watch os 5.3?

20. Hi Tek macrumors regular

Hi Tek

Correct.

21. deathnite macrumors member

deathnite

22. Fynd macrumors 6502

23. cdarlington1 macrumors regular

cdarlington1

I’m running latest iOS 13 pub beta and latest aw 5.3. ECG does not seem to work if running pub beta iOS 13. Boo.

24. luvadubdub macrumors newbie

Same here. After waiting as long as we have and we're hooped!

25. cicton macrumors newbie

cicton

won't work on beta versions of iOS. must downgrade to 12.4 to get it working.