Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 6.1.1, the third update to the watchOS 6 operating system that's designed to run on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 6.1.1 comes over a month after the launch of watchOS 6.1.

??watchOS 6??.1.1 can be downloaded for free through the dedicated ??Apple Watch?? app on the iPhone by going to General > Software Update.

watchos6ewatchfaces-800x442.jpg

To install the new software, the ??Apple Watch?? needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the ?iPhone?. Apple has also released a watchOS 5.3.4 update for those who have Apple Watch models not able to be upgraded to watchOS 6.

We didn't find any significant changes during the watchOS 6.1.1 beta testing period, and Apple doesn't have specific release notes available. The update "provides important security updates and is recommended for all users."

For more detail on the features included in the overall watchOS 6 software release, make sure to check out our watchOS 6 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 6.1.1 With Bug Fixes

Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.
Please stop including this bit of (what is now) misinformation in articles about watchOS updates, it's no longer universally true. It's entirely possible to download watchOS updates directly to the Apple Watch.

Reactions: ZebraDude
Comment

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Forgot you could do that. Leaving my phone hidden in the break room (where the wifi is) was the best option for me today, but I will have to remember this in the future.

Comment

Braderunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
The part I bolded in the original quote: "it [the watch] needs to be in range of the iPhone". If you use software update directly on the watch, your iPhone doesn't enter into the picture.
You must be really upset with Apple. They say not to restart your iPhone while your Watch is updating.
When I think of all the people who've went out of their way to make sure their iPhone was within range, when they didn't have to. :mad:

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
You must be really upset with Apple. They say not to restart your iPhone while your Watch is updating.
When I think of all the people who've went out of their way to make sure their iPhone was within range, when they didn't have to. :mad:
I'm not upset, I'm just informing MR that some of their info is out of date, so next time the story can be more accurate. Or should I keep my mouth shut unless something really momentous happens?

Reactions: konqerror
Comment

ruslansv

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2019
Update appears stuck in Preparing about half way through for about 2 hours now (was progressing very slowly but now seemingly stopped progressing)

Reactions: ferretex
Comment

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Update appears stuck in Preparing about half way through for about 2 hours now (was progressing very slowly but now seemingly stopped progressing)

Same here. After hard resetting iPhone Xr and Apple Watch S5 it worked no problem.

Comment

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I'm not upset, I'm just informing MR that some of their info is out of date, so next time the story can be more accurate. Or should I keep my mouth shut unless something really momentous happens?

Drop a line about this to Apple as well...

IMG_0560.PNG

Edit: I did start this update from my S5 watch, but as soon as I opened the watch app and followed the route in to this screen, I guess I'm stuck with needing my iPhone to update. (I was looking for the support link there)

Last edited:
Comment

ruslansv

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2019
Indeed hard resetting the phone and the watch seem to have fixed the problem. I sent them OTAupdate and ota_patch files from the logs after it completed - brief look - a ton of error messages there. I wonder if some of their bugs and battery issues (that some people see and some don't) are the result of incomplete / corrupted updates actually - due to bugs in the update process.

Reactions: ferretex
Comment

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
When I look for the update, I get a message that says “Unable to Check for Update” with a Try Again button that doesn’t help. And yes, my iPhone is updated to 12.3. Anyone else get this and able to move past it?

Comment

deathnite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Europe
Last edited:
Comment

xyz01

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
So, when Apple Watch 5 was released, people were complaining about low battery. Will this latest update fix the horrendous battery life issues with Apple Watch 5 and the always-on display?

I'm still having horrendous battery life with both Watch S3 and Watch S5, even after turning off the always on display. Phone has been reinstalled (and the 7 Plus replaced with an 8 Plus, installed from scratch), andwatch reinstalled many times as well. The problem seems to be WatchOS 6 related (no problem with S3 and WOS 5, even with the IOS 13 beta).

Hoping WOS 6.1.1 fixes the problem, but I run out of power - with pretty much no active use - in the late afternoon. Every day.

Comment

ruslansv

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2019
I'm still having horrendous battery life with both Watch S3 and Watch S5, even after turning off the always on display. Phone has been reinstalled (and the 7 Plus replaced with an 8 Plus, installed from scratch), andwatch reinstalled many times as well. The problem seems to be WatchOS 6 related (no problem with S3 and WOS 5, even with the IOS 13 beta).

Hoping WOS 6.1.1 fixes the problem, but I run out of power - with pretty much no active use - in the late afternoon. Every day.

the problem is not always on. The problem is (or likely are) bugs in health database sync and / or location manager. If you run sysdiagnose and see what's eating up the battery like it's candy (being stuck in sqlite somewhere) - its healthd and it's only manifests itself after a while - like several weeks (that is why resetting the watch fixes it). Additionally there're weird race conditions (such as when you setup a new watch you sometimes end up with 2 in health app - and the status is inverted) and other things that are likely contributing. There're just too many bugs that are not being fixed overtime and in aggregate are contributing and considering concurrency / timing issues they only manifest for some unlucky users and not others and are not being caught by their regression testing for that reason (I hope they do have automated regression testing - although makes you wonder).

Reactions: CarlJ
Comment

ruslansv

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2019
So far the battery drain seems to be not better with all the accompanying symptoms - pretty sure it's not fixed (they've known about for months and I expect it's so major of a change that they're unable to fix it)

Comment

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Does it fix the bug where leaving the watch on its charger, the battery level does not pass 99% until a few hours passed? The back of my S4 warms up too much when trying to charge to 100% because of this.

Reactions: Breezygirl
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.