Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why not be like Google and put "In-app purchases" beneath the word "Free"
Already been there for a while.
This is news?
Let's see, this is something new, and it's related to Apple...what do you know, it's news for an Apple news/rumors/discussion web site.
Yes, exactly.

$.99 = Paid App
Get = Free App (In-App Purchases)
Free = Free App (No In-App Purchases)
Now something like that would actually be useful. Simply changing all "FREE" to "GET" seems a bit useless.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
It should be FREE and FREE* for in-app purchases

I was going to post something similar, but as "GET" has probably been used for shortness, I think "FREE" and "FREE with IAP" or "FREE+IAP" would suit. GET isn't a clear enough term, it could be taken as we are not telling you the price yet, and discourage downloading.

----------

One thing that annoys me now is when I look at the Top GET Chart, some say "GET" and others say "OPEN", but the buttons are different sizes. At least before it was more uniform.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea.

I think it is better. The "OPEN" and "FREE" descriptions were too similar. It was hard to distinguish them when quickly scanning through the charts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Did they just do a find and replace on "Free" with "GET"?
That would be poor design and form if they had to do that. More than likely it was a constant that was defined somewhere (especially for localization purposes) where they just had to change it from "FREE" to "GET" in a single location and have that essentially automatically picked up and used where appropriate.

Having said that, perhaps this is all some sort of an experiment that wasn't supposed to go out to the public or at least not to everyone, or maybe even some sort of a mistake/mixup that might be reverted soon.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Really? Couldn't find a better word than "get" ??

I know! Like why "GET"?
It's almost like they're saying that we MUST GET the App.

Personally I don't GET it. :p

Why not use INSTALL, or DOWNLOAD as someone else mentioned.

GET??? GET smart? GET stuffed? Estelle GETty?
A really odd choice of word.

GET it, got it, good! Meh! Apple are just starting to get really weird now.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I wonder if this is because of the recent South Park episode "Freemium is not free". They touched on that point pretty strongly (I know it's satire but still true).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Probably not a smart move Apple.

I've had a number of new users come to me and ask how to download an app; tapping on "free" is not intuitive. It's something that most of us are used to after going from iTunes to iOS, but new users do get confused by it. Now that it's a verb, it should be more obvious.

Edit: Although showing it on the homepage is silly and looks like it may be a bug.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I know! Like why "GET"?
It's almost like they're saying that we MUST GET the App.

Personally I don't GET it. :p

Why not use INSTALL, or DOWNLOAD as someone else mentioned.

GET??? GET smart? GET stuffed? Estelle GETty?
A really odd choice of word.

GET it, got it, good! Meh! Apple are just starting to get really weird now.

Get goes back to the very early days of computing, check out some of the commands and command flags in FTP.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
OBTAIN!!! I so much want for it to say OBTAIN!!!!!

Somebody please make a tweak and I may just consider jailbreaking.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Looks odd to me, but I guess we'll all get used to it. On that first image it definitely should say 'Free' as the price, though.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
It was a bit confusing when it said "FREE". Imagine that you have never used iOS before. How would you know to click on the "FREE" button to get something?

----------

Haha good.

Just another thing for Android users to laugh at us about.

The Android fans will complain so much about the pain that the App Store having a "GET" button brings them. Like, more than anyone who actually uses iOS will.

Sjonnie

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
In the Netherlands it is download..

'Download' would look less ridiculous to me.

Edit. And for the first image, it should say "Free" as the price...

Here in the Netherlands is it not get but download.. see the images.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2965.PNG
    IMG_2965.PNG
    199.6 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2966.PNG
    IMG_2966.PNG
    183.1 KB · Views: 389

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Without in-app purchase it should still be labeled 'Free' i think.
That gives it extra clarity to 'buyers'.

Seriously. The word used is not the point. Customers need to be able to easily differentiate truly free apps from freemium apps. "Free" should still be used for $0 app with no in-app purchase option. And "Get" for $0 apps with in-app purchases available.

It's like Apple forgot to employ a user experience team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.