Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick100

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2019
If it ever arrives it is too late for me new Mac Studio and Studio display arrived last week.

Apple continues to ignore it Mac users; its users of video; and users who want to have bootable backups of their Silicon hardware.

Reactions: Tdude96

Gradenko_2000

Suspended
Jun 26, 2023
The last iMac 27" 5K Intel base model sold for $1799 in 2020.

The 32" 6K display sells for $4999 from Apple and $3199 from Dell..

Mac mini M2 sells for $599.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a iMac 27" 5K M3 under $2500.

The last Intel iMac design spanned from 2012-2020.

• Love
Reactions: BusanAA

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I want to make the jump to AS but my 2019 iMac has been solid for me (512SSD, 40GB RAM).

The 24-inch iMac was appealing but the screen size difference was really noticeable. This 30-inch iMac could do the trick if I hold out for a couple of years — depends on the price.

I'm surprised they would make a bigger iMac for fear of cutting into the Studio Display sales.

J.J. Sefton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
Yes, the 30" ACD has spoiled me. Unfortunately, it is not Retina, it has issues with Apple Silicon Macs, and my particular one now has significant mage retention.

However, I would love an exact pixel doubled/quadrupled version of that: 30" 5120x3200 at 201 ppi would be totally amazing.
I like the way you think! 🤩

I didn't think it would bother me so much, but it's very jarring switching back and forth between the 5K iMac and the 30" ACD. These days I just use it as a secondary display when I GM on Roll20. Character sheets, campaign notes, etc.

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
This could literally be a comment from 2005, or 2015, or 1992.
I've been buying iMacs for longer than I wanna remember. It seems to me that they pretty much always always costing ~$4K when all is said and done. That includes the effects of inflation.

Just this past week I priced out a Studio/Studio system that would do what I want. Guess what! ~$4K.

At least the performance is getting better all the time.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
This is just stupid at this point. Most of us will have had to transition to a Mac Studio and display before that happens. I was holding out for an imac but like holding out til this fall…
Maybe, and I’m just spitballing here, a $3 trillion global tech company doesn’t plan their long-term product pipelines on whatever gear you happen to own right now.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've been buying iMacs for longer than I wanna remember. It seems to me that they pretty much always always costing ~$4K when all is said and done. That includes the effects of inflation.

Just this past week I priced out a Studio/Studio system that would do what I want. Guess what! ~$4K.

At least the performance is getting better all the time.
You mean the equivalent of $4K in 2023 dollars? You must be spec'ing nicer iMacs than me :)

My own benchmark is the cost of an entry-level Mac laptop. The iBook G4 I bought in like 2005 cost around $1,000. Today's M1 MacBook Air... about $1,000. This despite some very significant inflation since 2005. As they always have, people love to whinge about Mac prices, but the inconvenient truth is, they're actually falling.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Two more years?! Really, Tim? Was it too difficult to just slap some Macbook Pro M-chips into the existing 27" iMac? Jeez, talk about disenfranchising your iMac base.
If they'd done that, people here would be howling about the "outdated" design and clawing their eyes out over the bezels.

But yeah, agreed. They took that route with the M1 Mini and the M1 Air, so it wouldn't have been a crime against humanity to add Apple Silicon to an iMac 5K as a stopgap last year or the year before. I almost wonder if some enterprising hacker has managed to do this, actually.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
If they'd done that, people here would be howling about the "outdated" design and clawing their eyes out over the bezels.

But yeah, agreed. They took that route with the M1 Mini and the M1 Air, so it wouldn't have been a crime against humanity to add Apple Silicon to an iMac 5K as a stopgap last year or the year before. I almost wonder if some enterprising hacker has managed to do this, actually.
They already redesigned the imac for the 24”. Just scale it up to 27 and add faster chips and more ram. This isn’t rocket science That should take years to “develop” the hard work has already been done

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
How often has Gurman said a bigger iMac is coming now? I’m not convinced personally as Apple are clearly aiming the Mac Studio at the high end/pro market given how little effort they expended on the new Mac Pro. I’d also expect a fair amount of engineering effort will be expended on the Vision line including a non-pro version.

Tom W in AZ

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2022
The reason I bought a Mac Mini was because I wanted a 34" Ultra Wide monitor. There are a lot of us out here that like that format. Apple would be smart to compete in that market.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Is it me or is apple just so out of touch with its buyers they choose to make things so expensive no one even bats an eye when they move on after they see the price.
"People keep buying it, cause it's Apple". They ousted Scott Forstall for this, but at the same time it is the new strategy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.