Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Actually, you can auto hide both the dock and menu bar so burn in issues wouldn't be an issue if you did that. And you can rotate the desktop picture every minute or five minutes.

Personally I do this and I find the screen real estate gain to be quite significant.

Is that even enough though? What happens when you are in a particular application basically 100% of the time in full screen? Do I have to move around app menus and task bars? And for what benefit exactly? I mean if you want an OLED maybe get one that isn’t built into the computer, that way if you wear it out, you can just replace it...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Actually, you can auto hide both the dock and menu bar so burn in issues wouldn't be an issue if you did that. And you can rotate the desktop picture every minute or five minutes.

Personally I do this and I find the screen real estate gain to be quite significant.
Sure you can do that, but it's not the OS's default behaviour. I really prefer to shrink the dock down a bit and have rollover magnification, and the menu bar also visible. If I want full screen I can click the green circle easily enough and it gives the same behaviour you describe.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
So Apple may not pay for these displays, but the consumers will (potential for PWM and $$$ hike)? :(

Sheesh. Guess I'll stick to my plan of buying new Macs on sale (be they newer models or older, IF, there's no issues with older models).

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Have all the issues with OLED been worked out? I haven’t jumped on the OLED train yet, but I remember hearing that it has issues with screen burn in. Wouldn’t the risk be worse with larger screens? I’d rather Apple or Samsung finish their development of micro-LED.

Seems to be work fine on Samsung phones and computers. I have an S10 plus and the screen is gorgeous, even in direct sunlight. And the seem to have really tamed the color over-saturation

tegranjeet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
Boulder, CO
Is that even enough though? What happens when you are in a particular application basically 100% of the time in full screen? Do I have to move around app menus and task bars? And for what benefit exactly? I mean if you want an OLED maybe get one that isn’t built into the computer, that way if you wear it out, you can just replace it...

This is true. Burn in would probably happen. I'm not saying I want an OLED laptop. If it helps battery life then thats great, otherwise, I don't care much actually.

Sure you can do that, but it's not the OS's default behaviour. I really prefer to shrink the dock down a bit and have rollover magnification, and the menu bar also visible. If I want full screen I can click the green circle easily enough and it gives the same behaviour you describe.

I like to CMD+Tab around apps, and the green full screen button causes this extra animation when switching apps that I dislike. I also like to swipe up with three fingers, and all the apps are in one window, instead of multiple panes up next to the desktop. I like that macOS allows these customizable UI features.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
That Macbook render looks sick. What I think is, they won't add the name "MacBook" there, so to make it equally bezeled, like the iPad Pro.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Why would Samsung agree to this? Why not take the penalty as Apple has nowhere else to get their screens from anyway?
Because a couple hundred million dollars is nothing for either company and they'd rather have the future business on the screens they spent billions to develop the tech. iPad screens could come from other sources, like they do today.

From Apple's perspective, they are just using this as an opportunity to use better screens while not having to write a check.

Kind of a win win.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Have all the issues with OLED been worked out? I haven’t jumped on the OLED train yet, but I remember hearing that it has issues with screen burn in. Wouldn’t the risk be worse with larger screens? I’d rather Apple or Samsung finish their development of micro-LED.
This year a lot of companies released OLED laptops. I believe the burn-in has been reduced to a minimum, but we shall see results at the end of the year.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Man, been waiting for an OLED iPad for ages! After reading about the potentially retina damaging affects of the blue light most LEDs emit (especially from cellphones and monitors) I’ve purchased low blue light monitors (still not perfect) and purchased a used iPhone X to use as a serious computing device as OLED is supposed to be significantly better for the health of our eyes.

Bring on the OLED!

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Also this is the first I heard that OLED are more energy efficient than LEDs. Thought it was the other way around...
In an OLED screen, each pixel is individually lit. When displaying contents that are not fully lit white, like when watching a dark movie, OLED will be far more efficient than an LCD with an LED backlight which is fully lit even in a completely black scene. This is also why OLED has perfect blacks, because when a pixel is not lit it's naturally black.

YES, an OLED iPad please. That will be the one thing to get me to upgrade from my iPP 10.5.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
So we end up with inferior OLED (compared to Micro LED) because Tim over did the orders?

This company has changed beyond all recognition.

Good point, after all the “leaks” of micro-LED display wonders purportedly just around the corner, we find it was just more posturing and manipulation that Cook uses to keep the investment community interested.

No! I don't want OLED for a MacBook Pro or MacBook! Those devices are way more prone to burn in due to the menu bar, and static windows. Apple is better off going to microLED.

1. Micro-LED is not around the corner, not even coming in 3 - 5 years.

2. Burn In is not *solved* but it is certainly manageable. At least within the 4 years time frame of Computer usage. I am still a little skeptics since even the better WOLED used by LG isn't without burn in issues, and it was suppose to be better than Samsung's AMOLED.

Also this is the first I heard that OLED are more energy efficient than LEDs. Thought it was the other way around...

3. I am surprised, since the number one marketing point of OLED is actually energy efficiency. But in practice, because Apple wants to be as little latency, motion blurring as possible, OLED is still not as energy efficient in normal usage, as Apple don't actually switch the pixel off for "black".

And Finally

Due to fewer iPhone sales than anticipated in recent quarters, however, Apple has reportedly ordered fewer OLED displays from Samsung than both companies initially expected.

What does that suppose to mean?

Last edited:

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
That's pretty bad. Really shows how fast iPhone sales have been declining in just the past year alone. Compare Q1 2018 to 2019 and it's like a 50% decline in volume.

It's what happens when you release a total non-update and charge over $1000 for it.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
That's pretty bad. Really shows how fast iPhone sales have been declining in just the past year alone. Compare Q1 2018 to 2019 and it's like a 50% decline in volume.

You are not comparing, because you don't have numbers. Probably you are using an IDC projection (that said 30% not 50%) that was wrong because the iPhone revenue was down 15% from the prior year (see how your 50% has already became a "maybe" 15%? (I mean I understand Russian paid trolls spreading misinformation in case of things like USA elections, understand as in there are great interests behind and they get paid, but doing it free for phones? Why??). When one considers all the promotions that Apple made during that quarter though, the discounts in many under developed countries and China, the exchange programs in USA and Canada etc. then I think anyone would agree tat 15% less revenue really doesn't equate to 15% less unit sales, right? So maybe 8%? 10%? And so we go from 50% to 30% to 15% to 10%.

Edit to add a source that shows IDC numbers (that said 30% and not 50%) were wrong they say lead giving example so...

Edit again to add that last year there was no XR, so the ASP was higher, so that 10-5% less revenue doesn't mean 10-15% less sales, because the XR cost a whole 1/3 less than the X and it was the best seller accounting for another portion of lost revenue.

Last edited:

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
This deal will give them access to Samsung's Micro LED technology for large screen devices like Mac Book Pro, Mac Pro iMac Pro and iMac. While Apple can do their own micro led for phones, ipods and tablets.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Considering how Tim Cook price his products this would be a scary thought. I'm sure he's going to double the price no doubt and Apple is not shy about it.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012

It supposedly is if your running the same pixel numbers - but most of the time LCD displays have lower pixel densities and the power savings for OLED doesn't pan out (particularly Xr vs Xs etc.).

Looking at OLED on a computer though - really does make one wonder whether the longer term downsides (burn in particularly) of OLED would show up (since we tend to keep them longer and have them running for hours on end).

I would not want an OLED on my computer display, but I'm pretty cautious. iPad though, I'd be good with that. JMHO...

Last edited:
Reactions: HVDynamo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.