Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
From what little I know of OLED, it sounds like the wrong decision. Burn-in, color shifting ... no thanks. I'd rather use conventional LCD panels.
Try to learn more about OLED and more up to date, what you're describing is stuff from 2010..

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
microLED is the best of both worlds, not prone to burn-in and barely any blooming. It’ll take a long while for microLED to be widely available for consumer products so for now OLED would do.
I honestly still prefer OLED.

For what it’s worth I have a C8 TV always sued for gaming. Netflix. It’s always left on title screens, and log in screens by my kids for hours. Had the TV since launch. No burn in yet. Would easily by another.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Awesome!!!

Going to completely eliminate me from their product line. 😡

Says the person holding on to their IP11 and 2018 IPP due to PWM sensitivity.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Awesome!!!

Going to completely eliminate me from their product line. 😡

Says the person holding on to their IP11 and 2018 IPP due to PWM sensitivity.

Samsung recently developed a flicker-free OLED display for laptops. Hopefully that’s what we’ll see once Apple inevitably shifts their entire product lineup to OLED.

alexplank

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
The Dock and menu bar is static for a long while.

Edit: OLED also has this issue with PWM which causes eye strain for some people.
PWM is not required for OLED panels and it is used with a lot of LEDs (including car headlights and even the backlights for pretty much every other display technology that uses LEDs)

But it could be eliminated completely if manufacturers chose to do so. PWM just means the LEDs are being turned on and off rapidly to reduce the perceived brightness. But instead of using PWM, manufacturers could apply variable current to the LEDs to reduce or increase brightness-- the one complication is they'd need to use good LEDs and compensate for the shift in hue that occurs as the voltage levels change. It costs more but it's certainly possible not to use PWM.

And even with existing OLED displays, I believe the ones that use PWM only use it when the brightness is set to lower levels (or if they do use it at higher brightness levels, it's imperceptible due to the PWM frequency being much higher).

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
PWM is not required for OLED panels and it is used with a lot of LEDs (including car headlights and even the backlights for pretty much every other display technology that uses LEDs)

But it could be eliminated completely if manufacturers chose to do so. PWM just means the LEDs are being turned on and off rapidly to reduce the perceived brightness. But instead of using PWM, manufacturers could apply variable current to the LEDs to reduce or increase brightness-- the one complication is they'd need to use good LEDs and compensate for the shift in hue that occurs as the voltage levels change. It costs more but it's certainly possible not to use PWM.

And even with existing OLED displays, I believe the ones that use PWM only use it when the brightness is set to lower levels (or if they do use it at higher brightness levels, it's imperceptible due to the PWM frequency being much higher).

I get incredibly perceptible headaches at all brightness levels with the current OLED iPhone generations.

It is puzzling to me how there isn’t an Accessibility option after nearly five years.

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
As a repairman, I can assure you that oled means a more fragile and expensive display that will never be worth replacing on a low-end model.
Always-on on a laptop sounds useless to me, I rarely leave a laptop open when I’m not using it.
And higher contrast is mainly good for movies. If you’re watching movies on a laptop, contrast is not your first issue.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I had HP Spectre x360 with 13.3 in OLED for almost 3 years and recently purchased the latest version, just to have faster processor and graphics. No burn in or other screen issues with extensive daily use and several drops. 4K OLED panel in it is simply breathtaking and I use it to do work on the go. Laptop is beautiful too but can't wait for an MBA with advanced OLED. Still own 2017 MB 12, an engineering marvel for it's time. I think Apple was waiting to do MB 12 replacement the right way and that time is coming.

Last edited:

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
By stacking two OLED display layers, the technology prolongs the lifespan of the panel significantly and increases its peak brightness, but also brings a drastic 30% decrease in its power draw, compared to the 10-15% decrease of LTPO panels. Given that the display is the main energy consumer in portable electronic devices, the dual-stack OLEDs could significantly increase the battery life of the gear equipped with them, too. With LG, Samsung, and BOE - the three main OLED screen suppliers - all working on dual-stack designs, and the new blue diode materials to be commercialized in due course, 2024 may bring a display technology revolution on par with the switch from LCD to OLED screens.

From notebookcheck website

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.