Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears "increasingly likely" that Apple will launch a new 13-inch MacBook with an OLED display in 2024, according to display industry analyst Ross Young. In a tweet shared with his Super Followers today, Young said the notebook is expected to be a new MacBook Air, but he said there is a possibility it will have other branding.

Oled-iPads-and-MackBook-Pro-Notch.jpg

Young, who has accurately revealed a range of display-related information for the iPhone 13 Pro, iPad mini, MacBook Pro, and other devices, also expects Apple to release new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models with OLED displays in 2024.

In another tweet shared with his Super Followers, Young said the OLED displays in all three new devices will adopt a two-stack tandem structure, in which there are two red, green, and blue emission layers, allowing for increased brightness and lower power consumption. OLED displays also do not require backlighting for further power efficiency.

Young said all of the devices will adopt LTPO display technology for a variable refresh rate between 1Hz and 120Hz, a feature that Apple calls ProMotion. All iPad Pro models released since 2017 already feature ProMotion, but the refresh rate can only drop as low as 24Hz, while ProMotion would be all new to the MacBook Air.

Apple is currently focused on transitioning its Mac and iPad lines to LCD displays with mini-LED backlighting, and OLED displays would be the next step. Unlike mini-LED displays, OLED panels use self-emitting pixels and do not require backlighting, which could improve contrast ratio and further contribute to longer battery life.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning 13-Inch MacBook Air and iPad Pros With OLED Displays

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I mean how many years does Apple need to release OLED notebooks? Samsung and LG has been doing this for years...

and then I think MiniLED notebooks are fine enough. It's not like any professional will be doing heavy lifting of perfecting colors on notebook screen anyway...

Making notebook lighter would be my preference. I know it's difficult to make notebooks as rock solid as MacBooks without compromising some on weights, but there must be ways nonetheless...

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
I mean how many years does Apple need to release OLED notebooks? Samsung and LG has been doing this for years...

and then I think MiniLED notebooks are fine enough. It's not like any professional will be doing heavy lifting of perfecting colors on notebook screen anyway...

Making notebook lighter would be my preference. I know it's difficult to make notebooks as rock solid as MacBooks without compromising some on weights, but there must be ways nonetheless...
well that's doublestack oled which is something that doesnt exist for purchase as of now,i believe

miniled are fine,but oled with dark mode with help saving a ton of battery.+ltpo with 1hz too

also ,you know,blooming.and even better contrast.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Interestingly, QD-OLED will be on other brands of laptops and tablets in 2024 and even maybe microled by then. Apple needs to step up.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
i know that each gen brings improvements and waiting for a rumored mba is silly,but the changes we are getting recently are unprecedented...

first with apple rumored ARM chip ,which turned out to be the incredible m1 we know

then finally a mba design refresh (and mbp refresh too,with crazy processor,displays,battery,new form factor )

now a potential mba 15"

and n3 nodes with very big improvements ,bigger than the typical intel n+1 gen type we were used to get

and now OLED...duh

honestly i would use my mba m1 till it's unusable and then get the latest mac available and that i can afford...but it's not so smart given that a non usable mba barely has any resale value

Qtrfoil

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2022

It appears "increasingly likely" that Apple will launch a new 13-inch MacBook with an OLED display in 2024, according to display industry analyst Ross Young. In a tweet shared with his Super Followers today, Young said the notebook is expected to be a new MacBook Air, but he said there is a possibility it will have other branding.

Oled-iPads-and-MackBook-Pro-Notch.jpg

Young, who has accurately revealed a range of display-related information for the iPhone 13 Pro, iPad mini, MacBook Pro, and other devices, also expects Apple to release new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models with OLED displays in 2024.

In another tweet shared with his Super Followers, Young said the OLED displays in all three new devices will adopt a two-stack tandem structure, in which there are two red, green, and blue emission layers, allowing for increased brightness and lower power consumption. OLED displays also do not require backlighting for further power efficiency.

Young said all of the devices will adopt LTPO display technology for a variable refresh rate between 1Hz and 120Hz, a feature that Apple calls ProMotion. All iPad Pro models released since 2017 already feature ProMotion, but the refresh rate can only drop as low as 24Hz, while ProMotion would be all new to the MacBook Air.

Apple is currently focused on transitioning its Mac and iPad lines to LCD displays with mini-LED backlighting, and OLED displays would be the next step. Unlike mini-LED displays, OLED panels use self-emitting pixels and do not require backlighting, which could improve contrast ratio and further contribute to longer battery life.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning 13-Inch MacBook Air and iPad Pros With OLED Displays
It seems more than a little...unseemly...to report information on a free website that the original author is reporting to his Super Followers on his Twitter feed. It feels uncomfortably like scraping a photo off a website and using it despite copyright issues. There would be challenges to Fair Use, I think. It's a news item, but there are commercial ads on this page. It would be hard not to use the great majority of a tweet, rather than an insubstantial portion. And using the report here damages the Tweeter's ability to charge for subscriptions. I'm not a lawyer, but a professional photographer, and most of us have had experience with copyright infringers. This feels like it.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Yeah, makes total sense that Apple would debut new (and very expensive) screen technology in their cheapest laptop 🙄
oled displays now-days are cheap as hell. They dont even need to go with the best oled
I bet mini-led was more expensive and micro-led will be the hot take in terms of performance and price

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm in for an OLED iPad 11-12" in 2024.

I know rumors will be rumors but but but….the 2022 model isn’t even released yet.
Technically true but geez, that 2022 MacBook Pro is pre-orderable as of tomorrow.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Still way too long hope this is shortened

Already so many nice OLED laptops out

Samsung just put out a 15” inch 240hz OLED laptop display

What happened to Apple being one of the firsts for breakthrough, fresh technology now they are one of the last to catch up

• Haha
Reactions: alpi123

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
oled displays now-days are cheap as hell. They dont even need to go with the best oled
I bet mini-led was more expensive and micro-led will be the hot take in terms of performance and price
cheap as hell is an overstatement,are you sure of that ?

also these are double stack oled ,which might be even more than twice the price of an oled panel

Reactions: Tagbert

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
cheap as hell is an overstatement,are you sure of that ?

also these are double stack oled ,which might be even more than twice the price of an oled panel
the old lcd is the cheapest, after that is coming the standard oled (500nits, 60hz,p3) after comes mini-led/high end oled and after the micro-led
micro-led 60hz is far more expensive , not even talking about 120hz panels
Ofc here we talk about the same resolution and display size

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

What happened to Apple being one of the firsts for breakthrough, fresh technology now they are one of the last to catch up
if they are the first, then people cry about the prices...if they are the last they cry about not being the first

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021

yeah if u don't hate windows,you have a lot more options at a far cheaper price

Reactions: CarAnalogy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.