Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced that iOS 17 will be released on Monday, September 18 for the iPhone XS and newer. The free software update includes a wide range of new features, but not all of them will be available right away, according to Apple.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Orange-Purple.jpg

Below, we have listed three features that Apple's website says are "coming later this year" as part of a future update, such as iOS 17.1 or iOS 17.2. In addition, Apple shared a PDF this week outlining even more iOS 17 features that are now labeled as "coming later this year," and we have listed those additions below.

Journal App

Journal-App-iOS-17.jpeg

An all-new Journal app will allow iPhone users to reflect on their day and memories, complete with text, photos, music, audio recordings, and more. The app will provide personalized suggestions based on recent on-device activity.

Collaborative Apple Music Playlists

apple-music-collaborative-playlist.jpg

A new Collaborative Playlists feature for Apple Music will allow multiple people to add, reorder, and remove songs in a shared playlist.

AirDrop Transfers via Internet

airdrop-ios-17.jpg

If you send content like an image or video to another user via AirDrop, the transfer will be able to continue over an internet connection if you leave AirDrop range, so long as both you and the recipient are signed in to an iCloud account.

More Features Coming Later This Year
  • React to a message with any sticker through the Tapback menu in the Messages app.
  • A catch-up arrow for group conversations in the Messages app.
  • Sync additional settings with Messages in iCloud, such as Text Message Forwarding, Send & Receive accounts, and SMS filters across devices.
  • Play or pause a podcast or Apple News+ audio story in the Apple News widget.
  • Favorite Songs playlist in Music app.
  • Intelligent form detection and enhanced AutoFill for PDFs.
  • Audio Focus feature for Apple Fitness+ that prioritizes the volume of either the music or the trainers' voices depending on your preference.
  • Apple ID proximity sign-in with an existing signed-in and trusted iPhone or iPad when setting up a new Apple device.
Apple is already testing both iOS 17.1 and iOS 17.2 internally, according to our website's analytic logs. iOS 17.1 is likely to be released in October, while iOS 17.2 should be available in December, based on Apple's previous software release cycles.

Article Link: Apple Reveals More iOS 17 Features Not Available Until Later This Year

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
I've been checking every beta for that "Add Sticker" option in the Messages tapback menu they announced during the keynote. Almost felt like they'd forgotten about it – glad it's confirmed to still be coming. The new Stickers features are very neat and I think I'll use them a lot more once I don't have to manually peel, carefully position, and stick them each time. Hopefully in 17.1!

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Audio Focus feature for Apple Fitness+ that prioritizes the volume of either the music or the trainers' voices depending on your preference.
This is nice, but I would also like the option to turn off the Fitness+ audio completely and stream something else (Music, Podcast, TV show, etc.). I currently can't watch a TV show on my iPad/iPhone with the fitness+ streaming in Picture-in-picture without one of them constantly pausing the other. But I can do it on my Apple TV. Weird limitation

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The main reason for me Ti upgrade to ios17 is that I ordered the Ultra2 which will have watchOS 10 which requires ios17…

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
I'd rather them release it and then just work on extra features over time. Too many chances for bugs if they release a lot at once. Also longer to fix everything.
Well this is not iOS 17 this is iOS 16 and a half.

I mean there is no point in releasing a new OS if the features are not in, just release the fixes as a minor update and when you are ready release the full os.

I think it’s time to move away from the yearly OS release.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Last edited by a moderator:

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Well this is not iOS 17 this is iOS 16 and a half.

I mean there is no point in releasing a new OS if the features are not in, just release the fixes as a minor update and when you are ready release the full os.

I think it’s time to move away from the yearly OS release.
You can always wait a few months if you want all the features at once. I won't, but this doesn't prevent you to wait until end of the year

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I wonder how many times they’ll release a new OS with features delayed before they realize they can’t keep up this ridiculous yearly cycle? Maybe never, at least while the marketing people are in charge. I would love it if they switch to a two year cycle (especially on the Mac), so they can take their time and start getting things right again. They could offset them—do iOS/iPadOS one year, macOS another year. That should allow them to keep up the marketing momentum. They can sprinkle in the other devices’ software in between these two, or line it up with one of the other.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
You can always wait a few months if you want all the features at once. I won't, but this doesn't prevent you to wait until end of the year
Me me me…it’s not about you, I mean fine I understand you are happy with being over promised and underdelivered, that does not make it right anyway.

People always take things personal, you don’t get what I am saying, and it’s fine, it was not ment for you I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.