Apple Said to Shift to Lower Power IGZO Displays for MacBook Pro Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2017.

1. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I agree, they should have made an announcement they were waiting on Intels punk ass to release KL and expect to release in 2017. Instead they gave us a half baked battery implementation. Overall I get between 8-9 hours so I really can't complain. But thats after I stripped out a lot of lights and functions and made tweaks.

Otherwise this release is actually pretty damn good IMO.

2. Zskyline macrumors member

Zskyline

And no doubt will fix the batteries etc etc too bad for all the suckers who bought this ver 1 lemon.. They should be ashamed at how they handled this rollout

3. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

you calling me a sucker?

4. dgdosen macrumors 68000

dgdosen

Well, if the jumps between offerings were bigger, I'd be with you. IMO, however, they're not. I'll gladly wait. I'm sure articles like this will entice others to do the same. That and maybe an unwanted touchbar or not-great battery performance

5. happosai macrumors member

happosai

6. Zskyline macrumors member

Zskyline

Don't call me Shirley ! Ha. I'm in the same "sucker" boat.. So welcome to it..

7. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

It's tempting, but these aren't really unbelievable updates. The 2016 vs 2015 is an exponentially bigger update than just adding Kaby Lake and this screen tech imo, and there are people buying 2015 over 2016... Unless you value battery life as much as anything else, why wait a year to get an incremental upgrade? I bought the 2016 right when it came out, because if it's like anything else, there won't be a major change for a few years.

8. 2457282 Suspended

If they do this and implement the tiered battery design this could add hours to usage, which is good. The only thinness this would give apple is in the cover where the screen is. The rest of the computer just needs more batteries.

9. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Its a good machine regaaaaaaadless ( I live in Beantown too). Honestly, I think it really depends on where you are with your current machine, my last one was old so this upgrade was great. I figure at worst you could resell it if you really wanted to and recoup some mojo from it. I'd have to take a wait and see, if the upgrade was monumental then maybe, otherwise this is a nice laptop. Best on the market really.

10. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Something is telling me I should have waited for the second iteration :mad:

11. SpamJunkie macrumors regular

Most windows laptops already have terrible battery life. The newer-style terraced battery and IGZO display would go a long way to improving battery life.

12. thasan macrumors 65816

Why everyone forgets about magsafe? :(

13. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

A thinner MacBook Pro....

One of many reasons why Cook just got $1.5 mil pay cut. He just doesn't get it. The pro community doesn't want a device that is paper thin. They don't want a gimmicky touch bar. They don't want to wait around for 4 years for some supposedly "Pro" desktop that doesn't even remotely come close to being a pro machine.

They want power, they want all the ports they need, they want expandability & they want the pro software to go with them, nothing of which Apple's current Mac lineup provides and are some of the factors why Apple's pro customers are giving Apple the finger and saying "Adios".

14. iMerik macrumors 6502a

I was so ready to pull the trigger on a new MBP until it was actually announced and I got cold feat. I think some slight improvements, like this screen, better power efficient Kaby Lake, and maybe the battery they originally intended to use, and I will see myself finally buy one in 2017.

15. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

A lemon implies that there's something wrong that software can't fix. Seems like the graphics issues are software related, even if 10.12.2 didn't fix them all. The battery issues are just because the battery is smaller. Physics is physics. You can optimize, but if the capacity isn't there it just will only go so far.

I'm contemplating returning mine just because the Touch ID button is like 1% loose. Still works fine, but isn't rock solid like the ones in the store. It is really annoying knowing it's not perfect, but I don't know if it's worth going through the hassle of returning and buying a new one, especially since a friend of mine who works for Apple technically bought it for me and would have to re-buy if I want the friends and family discount again. I also have the LG 5k so I rarely use the laptop's keyboard. 1st world problems lol.

16. SpamJunkie macrumors regular

Turns out not many folks needed it?

17. junkstory macrumors member

Nice! Now I can use my Macbook Pro to slice Apples, and then put it inside a paper envelop when I'm done with it.

18. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Oh MR... You are soooo wrong on this one...

19. mbrannon47 macrumors regular

From Wikipedia:
    "A dongle is a small piece of hardware that connects to another device to provide it with additional functionality."

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
    "Definition of dongle: a small device that plugs into a computer and serves as an adapter or as a security measure to enable the use of certain software"

20. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

and they will remove the touch bar nonsense... AWEsome ! :D

21. fokmik macrumors 68040

Apple will never do a double redesign in the same year, so no thinners macbook pro later this year

22. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

The meaning of "dongle" has expanded beyond the above limited scope:
    Definition of dongle
    Definition of dongle
    : a small device that plugs into a computer and serves as an adapter or as a security measure to enable the use of certain software

TechTerms: Dongle
    A dongle is a small device, typically about the size of a flash drive, that plugs in to a computer. Some dongles act as security keys while others serve as adapters. While early dongles connected to parallel ports on PCs and ADB ports on Macs, modern versions typically connect to a USB port.
    Wiki
    Too long to list

23. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

And use what until October this year?
    Come on now, don't be bashful...

24. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

A refurbished 2015? A new 2015? A used machine? All are possible . . .

25. Deflorator macrumors member

Deflorator

Do you guys realize, that the lower energy consuption means smaller battery can be used? Not that the battery stays the same and notebook runs longer?