Apple Said to Shift to Lower Power IGZO Displays for MacBook Pro Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2017.

1. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

That'd be a fail for this article/rumor...

2. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Yes.

Stacking 100, 36 MP images and editing huge Photoshop files with multiple layers can be very RAM intensive. Most people won't see much of a benefit from 32 GB RAM but I would love to see that in my laptop. My next desktop will have significantly more than 32.

3. and 1989 others macrumors regular

Does that mean that the current release is using a substandard display?

Probably something to do with rushing an unfinished product to market.

4. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

Steve always said that we don't know what we want until Apple shows us. That used to be true (for the most part), but is no longer true. Pros favor functionality over external looks and especially...thinness:mad:.

Keep the MBA and MB for experiments in thinness but please don't hamstring ports, magsafe, and other features Pros love in lieu of the maniacal pursuit of turning the MBP into a 2 dimensional product.

5. modeyabsolom macrumors member

My philosophy has always been...never purchase the first-gen version of a new product category or product redesign from Apple, always wait for the second-gen or newer. I did that recently with my Watch and got the proper water resistance, GPS and brighter display that I wanted, but was not realized when the first-gen version was released. Its also why I'm waiting for a fifth-gen (or second-gen of the redesign) TV with the 4K and HDR capabilities the current version should of had!

6. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

No. The display on the new MBP is simply one of the best computer displays I've seen period.

7. newnew777 macrumors newbie

Yes, PLEASE, 32 GB of RAM and I'll buy one. For that very reason I'll just kept my MB Pro (Late 2013) with 16GB RAM, 2.6 GHz i7 and 1 TB SSD internal....

Logic Pro & LOTS of soft synths, samples, plug-ins....need the GHz speed and the RAM.

8. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

Oh well, every tick counts. Especially when there haven't been ticks for years :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    If history repeats you can rest for at least 3 years, relax.

9. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Why does touch sensitivity matter for a MacBook Pro? Either the material switch is happening for the other benefits of IGZO or they have a touch screen laptop in the pipeline.

Personally, I don't give a rat's patootie about a touch screen MBP but there are those who do. I don't even care about higher resolution; the current Retina display is called that because we've reached resolution density of the human retina (imagine developing a speaker which is "better" because is produces frequencies above 20,000 Hz). I'll take longer battery life, though.

10. scott911 macrumors 6502a

"possibly leading to a thinner MacBook Pro"

NO
    No No
    No
    No
    NOOOOO

11. jerryk macrumors 601

I am starting to think waiting for the next MBP update was a good idea.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    No best they could do give at the time, but not as good as they can do in the future.

12. macmee Suspended

macmee

THANK GOD LG is NOT making these displays

Take their ****** image retention trash and never put it in a Mac again!

13. Thunderhawks Suspended

...and we know how dangerous ticks are!

14. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Not forgetting about MagSafe. I LOVE MagSafe. It's just not essential for me. The SD card reader, however, is essential.

15. SeaFox macrumors 68030

SeaFox

Yes, unfortunately Apple will have to price their laptops considerably higher than other companies to compensate.
    Wait, they already do that...

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You won't see a body redesign for another 4 years. This will all be internal. And I doubt they would make massive memory upgrades 4-6 months in.

17. fokmik macrumors 68040

kaby lake cpu are very important for codec support, so we will get battery life only from that, not to mention IGZO tehn+larger battery since we will have native TB3 support, so alpine bridge are removed=+extra 2h battery i suppose into the next update

18. now i see it macrumors 68040

19. stevet macrumors 6502

No it won't. THe battery life issues are drivers or firmware that has gone wonky. If it was predictable battery consumption then it would be easily repeatable, it's not though. So stating that the display and the battery configuration is going to solve the battery complaints is wrong. Flat out.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya I think the story is bull.

21. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

I don't find your point compelling as a critic of the new MBP. I have a 2010 and a 2012 version. I'm ready for a new one. I ordered three iMacs for my drones at work. I'm not happy with any general product Apple cares to trot out. Waiting as little longer for something with a better screen and battery life isn't a bad idea. I've also noticed that some of Apples models were arguably better purchases than others. iPad 2 and iPad Air 2 are a couple I think really lasted long in terms of value/function.

Anyway, yes people will always complain, but that doesn't mean their critiques aren't warranted.

22. SpamJunkie macrumors regular

That's a good laptop, and one of the few Windows machines that I find at all impressive. Definitely not the average! They claim 12 hours like the last model, which seemed to get 10 hours actual, which is way better than most (or all?) other Windows laptops. It also maxes out at 16gb ram just like the macs.

I'm not disagreeing with you, that's a great laptop, but most Windows laptops do have much worse battery life, especially the ones with a lot more ram or Nvidia GPUs, etc.

23. MplsP macrumors newbie

Umm - have you actually compared the 2015 and 2016 models? 2015 is a far better buy for the majority of users.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't have a 2016 MBP, but I regularly max out the 16gig of RAM on a 2015 and about 20gig of RAM on a MP. The 16gig limit on the 2016 MBP is one reason I'm avoiding it.

25. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

Umm - yes, I have, and I bought a 2016.