Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Oh boy, this is getting to be like a he said she said...who do we believe? Let's keep this article handy when next yrs iPhone X comes out to see if they release Face ID 2.0 faster than last yrs.

Last edited:

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
The fact that they are refuting it makes me more confident they did change the specs. There is a play on words here. They could reduce the acceptable manufacturing spec without changing the design. Somehow they increased yields... either they just miraculously got better at making the parts, or they widened the range of acceptable parts. This has nothing to do with changing the design. Whether or not it has any real effect on the use of the parts, no one will probably ever know.
You guys realize the hardware and software have specifications that aren't 'fuzzy.' If the software and the neural processor are expecting 30k points returned from the dot projector, you can't just wing it and return, say, 20k points. Changing a requirement like this would be completely impractical and time and cost ineffective. Let alone doing this in the last months of production.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Oh really? You think they'd lie? Of course they wouldn't. If the story was true, someone, somewhere, would have proof. Copies of emails between suppliers and Apple. And they would make a lot of money by proving to a court that Apple lied on record and thus misled customers right before a new product came out.

This flat out denial shows the story was false, and it is not a given that Apple would deny it.
I never made the claim that Apple was lying. Only that I expected the denial whether the story is true or not, and I'm sure Apple has understated the accuracy of FaceID from the beginning just in case problems arise or to account for variance between units, so it'd be hard to prove that any false claims have been made.

SuperMarioKart

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Do we all remember this?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/28/iphone-8-oled-screen-usb-c/

Apple will replace the Lightning connector with a USB-C port. Indeed, all of the next iPhones are said to feature a "USB-C port for the power cord and other peripheral devices instead of the company's original Lightning connector".

This is just another case of "sources" and "journalists" having no ability to reason logically, and taking a tiny bit of information that they don't understand the context of and misinterpreting it, turning it into something with a completely different conclusion and whacking a clickbait title on it.

It's clear that if there was any bit of real information here, it was manufacturing-related and likely associated with component verification. Probably something like "instead of testing each dot projector for 1 minute in the test rig to verify it's working as expected, we'll let you test each for 30 seconds because we've found now that it's good enough to know it's fine".

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA

Bloomberg this morning alleged that Apple allowed its suppliers to make Face ID less accurate in order to speed up production on the device, a claim that Apple now says is "completely false" in a statement shared with TechCrunch.

faceidangle-800x644.jpg

According to Apple, the quality and the accuracy of Face ID have not changed, and Face ID will be the new "gold standard" for facial authentication.The report from Bloomberg, which went into detail about some of the components used in the TrueDepth camera, suggested Apple had "relaxed some of the specifications for Face ID" to boost the number of usable dot projectors, a component that Apple suppliers were said to be struggling with. From Bloomberg:In addition to Apple's statement suggesting no changes have been made to Face ID, Apple has shared specific accuracy numbers and details on the feature, so it would be difficult for the company to make changes in production that would alter the way that Face ID works.

Apple reportedly struggled with production for several of the components for the iPhone X, given that it's a new device using many new technologies. As a result of those issues, supply of the iPhone X is expected to be extremely limited at launch, with Apple likely unable to reach supply-demand balance until 2018.

Article Link: Apple Says Claims Face ID Was Downgraded to Speed Up Production Are 'Completely False'

Bloomberg this morning alleged that Apple allowed its suppliers to make Face ID less accurate in order to speed up production on the device, a claim that Apple now says is "completely false" in a statement shared with TechCrunch.

faceidangle-800x644.jpg

According to Apple, the quality and the accuracy of Face ID have not changed, and Face ID will be the new "gold standard" for facial authentication.The report from Bloomberg, which went into detail about some of the components used in the TrueDepth camera, suggested Apple had "relaxed some of the specifications for Face ID" to boost the number of usable dot projectors, a component that Apple suppliers were said to be struggling with. From Bloomberg:In addition to Apple's statement suggesting no changes have been made to Face ID, Apple has shared specific accuracy numbers and details on the feature, so it would be difficult for the company to make changes in production that would alter the way that Face ID works.

Apple reportedly struggled with production for several of the components for the iPhone X, given that it's a new device using many new technologies. As a result of those issues, supply of the iPhone X is expected to be extremely limited at launch, with Apple likely unable to reach supply-demand balance until 2018.

Article Link: Apple Says Claims Face ID Was Downgraded to Speed Up Production Are 'Completely False'
I am looking forward to the iPhone X (Space Gray-256 GB, fingers crossed).
When first announced, I was skeptical, but I work in a laboratory where gloves interfere with Touch ID and if my hands are sweaty or I just washed them, Touch ID is useless. The more I look at it, FaceID looks like a Godsend (to me). With a superior security threshold and a hands-off unlock, I am excited to see if this technology lives up to Apple's hype. :)
Under the screen fingerprint recognition looks interesting from a technology perspective, but for my above TouchID "struggles" I am happy to drink the KoolAid and gives this a spin.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Because Apple is so trustworthy... just be preapred for "you are holding it wrong", take 2, if you are going to blindly buy something that is completely unproven in the field based purely on gut faith in Apple.

Nothing is perfect but I’ve been satisfied with Apple products over the years. They pay close attention to detail.
[doublepost=1508951127][/doublepost]
If Apple had to respond to the rumor their might be truth to it because they were worried people may not buy the X
In the other thread, Apple’s then non-response was proof it was true. Now their response is “proof.”

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
No one knows that for sure though. This is why I said.. what else can Apple say right now? They have to say it's false.. even if it's true. No way on earth they'll admit an issue. There might not even be one. I've worked hand in hand with many companies who downgrade specifications to make the market. Happens more often than not.. doesn't mean there's a problem with the finished good. Should be interesting once these devices hit the market though.

No they don’t. Apple is a publicly traded company, lying is very difficult for them especially on a major feature of their major product. This is a “no BS” answer, not a “all of our high standars are met”.

Reactions: HenryDJP

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Whether or not it has any real effect on the use of the parts, no one will probably ever know.

Uh, Apple literally said FaceID hasn’t changed and remains at 1 in a million chance a random person could trick it. They also stated quality and accuracy are unchanged.

So what exactly do you think are the effects of these so-called changes if Apple states it works exactly as before?

Reactions: sidewinder3000

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
BGR crowd is having a field day, false or not

BGR is trash. They have been for a couple of years. They are nothing but clickbait artists with sensationalist headlines. They are probably running with something like “Guess which feature Apple lied about on their $1,000 phone!!!”

I used to visit them daily, numerous times. Now I never go because they are just there to stoke the flame wars in the comments for traffic.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
No they don’t. Apple is a publicly traded company, lying is very difficult for them especially on a major feature of their major product. This is a “no BS” answer, not a “all of our high standars are met”.
Sorry man believe it or not.. these things happen all the time. Can't sugarcoat it for you, it truly does. Don't have to believe me at all but that's how companies work. It's a game.

Reactions: IG88

codydale

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
Missouri
Oh really? You think they'd lie? Of course they wouldn't. If the story was true, someone, somewhere, would have proof. Copies of emails between suppliers and Apple. And they would make a lot of money by proving to a court that Apple lied on record and thus misled customers right before a new product came out.

This flat out denial shows the story was false, and it is not a given that Apple would deny it.

If Apple could be taken to court and sued for a vast amount of money, why is the same not true for what Bloomberg did by falsely accusing Apple? (I am truly asking, not being a smart aleck)

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Summary of comments:

People who thought the “less accurate FaceID” rumor was false, now say they were right all along.

People who think the rumor was true, claim Apple is lying/doing damage control.

In other words, Apple’s statement basically means nothing and the endless bickering here on MR continues. :p

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Sorry man believe it or not.. these things happen all the time. Can't sugarcoat it for you, it truly does. Don't have to believe me at all but that's how companies work. It's a game.

Nope. They sugarcoat it, but it’s very difficult for them to lie in a way that is so specific. They can say “you’re holding it wrong”, but I would say it’s difficult for them to say “The antenna is ok” when it isn’t.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
The fact that they are refuting it makes me more confident they did change the specs. There is a play on words here. They could reduce the acceptable manufacturing spec without changing the design. Somehow they increased yields... either they just miraculously got better at making the parts, or they widened the range of acceptable parts. This has nothing to do with changing the design. Whether or not it has any real effect on the use of the parts, no one will probably ever know.

Well obviously you know more then most...

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Desperate spin from Apple...this launch is going to be bungled worst than Apple Maps. Hopefully it leads to Timmy finally being removed. He should be removed just for how buggy IOS 11 is.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
No one knows that for sure though. This is why I said.. what else can Apple say right now? They have to say it's false.. even if it's true. No way on earth they'll admit an issue. There might not even be one. I've worked hand in hand with many companies who downgrade specifications to make the market. Happens more often than not.. doesn't mean there's a problem with the finished good. Should be interesting once these devices hit the market though.

The accusers should have to provide some unequivocal proof for us that this is actually true before anyone starts to point fingers.

I find it highly unlikely that Apple (because they aren't just some small unknown outfit of a company) would do this. They can't downgrade the main feature of the phone and then deny it. Not least of all because they have marketed it to the world already. If any changes made were to alter the products ability in any meaningful way it would be fraudulent.

Reactions: HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.