Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
How do they keep Fighter Jets clean? 🤔
Comparatively few parts of fighter jets are made of titanium. It's used only where (a.) shape and/or strength must be maintained under extreme heat soak, and (b.) where extreme tensile strength is critical. Aerodynamic leading edges, turbine & afterburner mounts and exhaust, certain weapon mounts, etc. Planes are mostly made of more conventional metals, mostly aluminum.

Titanium alloys are highly adaptable to surface treatments that remain "clean" appearance, under ordinary observation, e.g., the standards by which we judge our cars. I've seen quite a few titanium in-the-raw aircraft parts and panels; all were mottled with natural patina. As I understood ground crews, these parts were generally not "Cleaned" per se, as their natural patina added surface hardness and chemical resistance.

Reactions: AdamInKent

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I smell and sense an incoming gate. Wouldn’t mind at all if I’m wrong.
OHHHHH BY THE WAY.

In a support document updated today, Apple indicates that fingerprints might "temporarily alter the color" of the titanium frame on the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max. Fortunately, Apple says this is not a permanent condition, as the fingerprints can be wiped off just like on any other iPhone to restore a clean finish.

iPhone-15-Pro-Fingerprints.jpg

"For iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, the oil from your skin might temporarily alter the color of the outside band," says Apple. "Wiping your iPhone with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth will restore the original look."

Photos of iPhone 15 Pro models with visible fingerprints on the titanium frame have been circulating on social media since the devices were announced last week, but customers should not be concerned about permanent damage. None of this information should be a surprise, but now it is on the record from Apple.

All of the iPhone 15 models launch this Friday, with orders already beginning to arrive to customers in Australia and New Zealand.

Article Link: Apple Says Fingerprints Can 'Temporarily Alter the Color' of iPhone 15 Pro's Titanium Frame
” YOU’RE HOLDING YOUR PHONES WRONG 2: APPLEGATE “
THE MOVIE.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
So fingerprints show up on stuff now? When did this absolutely terrible nightmare start?

Hey I just looked at the side of my phone and it’s covered in fingerprints. How long has this been going on?

Midnight blue M2 MacBook Air.

All the other M2 MacBook Air didn't get covered by finger prints, nor did they scuff like the midnight blue M2 MacBook Air.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I have a feeling that FineWoven case will be quietly discontinued by Apple next year. They’re probably already working on a way to minimize this issue on the titanium iPhones for next year’s 16 Pro/Pro Max. I don’t see them going back to stainless steel, but another option could be aluminum to maintain the lighter weight if the stains are irritating enough.
They were working on the titanium finger print issue before the phones were released and they knew it.

Reactions: airbatross

Vehuel120

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2023

In a support document updated today, Apple indicates that fingerprints might "temporarily alter the color" of the titanium frame on the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max. Fortunately, Apple says this is not a permanent condition, as the fingerprints can be wiped off just like on any other iPhone to restore a clean finish.

iPhone-15-Pro-Fingerprints.jpg

"For iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, the oil from your skin might temporarily alter the color of the outside band," says Apple. "Wiping your iPhone with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth will restore the original look."

Photos of iPhone 15 Pro models with visible fingerprints on the titanium frame have been circulating on social media since the devices were announced last week, but customers should not be concerned about permanent damage. None of this information should be a surprise, but now it is on the record from Apple.

All of the iPhone 15 models launch this Friday, with orders already beginning to arrive to customers in Australia and New Zealand.

Article Link: Apple Says Fingerprints Can 'Temporarily Alter the Color' of iPhone 15 Pro's Titanium Frame
So does this also include the natural titanium as well? If so that’s crazy

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I have a feeling that FineWoven case will be quietly discontinued by Apple next year. They’re probably already working on a way to minimize this issue on the titanium iPhones for next year’s 16 Pro/Pro Max. I don’t see them going back to stainless steel, but another option could be aluminum to maintain the lighter weight if the stains are irritating enough.

How dare you ... for suggesting FineWoven to be discontinued?

FineWoven is carbon neutral.

If we go back to leather cases, the planet will be gone in 2024.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
They should just ask if you’re using a case, which 95+% do, and not care going for the lightest. Give me a plastic iPhone designed for use with a case in mind, with the pro features and we good.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Who isn't using a case though. Not excusing the design choice by Apple, but I've dropped enough iPhones over the years to know better than to go in the nude.
Yeah it's funny how they pushed the titanium frame during the keynote, when my instant reaction was "who cares most people just use a case?" They also discontinued the leather cases which is closer to something I actually care about as I've always liked them since the 5s. Apple being Apple. Go figure.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Shouldn’t that phone in the pic have more fingerprint oil marks on it? Were people holding it by the screen and back and pushing the buttons repeatedly? Seems kinda unnatural.

120FPS

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2022
This has been the case with the titanium versions of the Fujifilm X3 Pro cameras, it is what it is, next time get the natural colour way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.