Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I wonder, since iOS 10 seems to have been more of an exception compared to previous updates, is comparing against what is more of a one-off rather than what is typical a meaningful comparison?

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/10/ios-...faster-adoption-than-any-previous-ios-update/
Because like iOS 11, iOS 9 had destroyed the older devices so people upgraded out of sheer desperation and since it lacked features iOS 10 was able to fix iOS 9 somewhat. Next year iOS 12 adoption will be higher as Apple will try to fix the mess that iOS 11 is and the 59% that are trapped on iOS 11 will upgrade instantly to see if it's any better.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Because like iOS 11, iOS 9 had destroyed the older devices so people upgraded out of sheer desperation and since it lacked features iOS 10 was able to fix iOS I somewhat. Next year iOS 12 adoption will be higher as Apple will try to fix the mess that iOS 11 is and the 59% that are trapped on iOS 11 will upgrade instantly to see if it's any better.
There’s a fair amount of subjectivity being labeled as fact. Eg iOS 11 on my 5s is better than iOS 10.

Reactions: deanthedev

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
There’s a fair amount of subjectivity being labeled as fact.
I challenge Apple to enable downgrade support and see where that % heads. If Apple thinks no one has a problem with their software and everything is running smoothly,and there is no planned obsolescence , it's time to put their money where the mouth is. Prove your software quality is good. Or it's not enabled simply because they know all those forced update guys will downgrade instagntly.
[doublepost=1512558640][/doublepost]
There's going to be people next year which say iOS 12 is bad and how iOS 11 is great, this repeats every year.
Not really because if Apple enabled downgrade support even the iOS 8 chart would increase because people like me who want a usable device will downgrade the older devices to iOS 8.

Reactions: motulist

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I challenge Apple to enable downgrade support and see where that % heads. If Apple thinks no one has a problem with their software and everything is running smoothly,and there is no planned obsolescence , it's time to put their money where the mouth is. Prove your software quality is good. Or it's not enabled simply because they know all those forced update guys will downgrade instagntly.
Oh I’m sure some people would downgrade, but maybe not the masses that you believe. However today Apple doesn’t roll like that.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Oh I’m sure some people would downgrade, but maybe not the masses that you believe. However today Apple doesn’t roll like that.
I believe there would be a substantial decrease in the %. And that includes households with multiple Apple devices like mine. iPad Air 2 goes on iOS 8. iPhone 6 goes back to iOS 8. iPhone 7 goes back to iOS 10 and I will also downgrade the devices of my close relatives who don't know anything about iOS versions but are facing problems.

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there
Two months after Oreo was released and it was running on less than 1% of all Android devices. I'm not sure what the latest number is some several weeks later, but I doubt it is above 2%.

I think Apple can be sufficiently smug and satisfied at how successfully the iOS 11 roll out is going.
Source

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Two months after Oreo was released and it was running on less than 1% of all Android devices. I'm not sure what the latest number is some several weeks later, but I doubt it is above 2%.

I think Apple can be sufficiently smug and satisfied at how successfully the iOS 11 roll out is going.

It's too bad version numbers are immaterial on Android as are OS updates.
[doublepost=1512559195][/doublepost]
There’s a fair amount of subjectivity being labeled as fact. Eg iOS 11 on my 5s is better than iOS 10.
My iPhone 6 has Bieber ruined by iOS 11.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I believe there would be a substantial decrease in the %. And that includes households with multiple Apple devices like mine. iPad Air 2 goes on iOS 8. iPhone 6 goes back to iOS 8. iPhone 7 goes back to iOS 10 and I will also downgrade the devices of my close relatives who don't know anything about iOS versions but are facing problems.
Households like mine wouldn’t downgrade to an unsupported o/s. So I don’t believe the adoption rates would change dramatically.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's too bad version numbers are immaterial on Android as are OS updates.
[doublepost=1512559195][/doublepost]
My iPhone 6 has Bieber ruined by iOS 11.
Both my 5s are better overall on iOS 11. Two anecdotal experiences to your one.
[doublepost=1512559449][/doublepost]
Then why don't they prove it by enabling it or are they scared that here chart would get fragmented?
Regardless of the reason it’s not reality today.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
IDK why Apple insists on the mindset internally that they must release a new iOS version every year or die.
It would have been so much better for the Apple community to be on a snappy, optimized, stable, secure, long battery life, current emojis and compatible release like iOS 8.8.1 today for all devices with the handful of new features implemented since iOS 8 rolled into all older and new devices.

Reactions: Phonephreak

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there
IDK why Apple insists on the mindset internally that they must release a new iOS version every year or die.
It would have been so much better for the Apple community to be on a snappy, optimized, stable, secure, long battery life, current emojis and compatible release like iOS 8.8.1 today for all devices with the handful of new features implemented since iOS 8 rolled into all older and new devices.
It pretty clear that Apple can’t release a quality near bug free iOS anymore. They release a mess publicly then the bug testing starts with a paid consumers

Reactions: JosephAW

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I don’t have comparative figures but iOS 11 adoption rate seems much lower than for previous iOS releases during the same time period. Very possible I’m mistaken, just a layman’s observation. Carry on.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Competition in the smartphone market is extremely intense these days, and I don't think Apple can survive by continuing to roll out features at a snail's pace like they did up to iOS 6.

mdellepi

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
Germany
I'm of the opinion that bugs, slowdowns, battery drains have a very little impact on these data. They are there and they are often real issues, but I think the general market is not a tech forum and they don't affect that much the real adoption rate in the user base. The vast vast majority of common users just update, without much information, often just clicking when prompted by the device. The decreasing percentages are just due to a growing base of non supporting devices, I think.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Then why don't they prove it by enabling it or are they scared that here chart would get fragmented?

Because there are known security issues with ios10 and it would be irresponsible to let users downgrade unless they invested resources in patching them, but that might make ios10 buggy, for which people will complain, plus it pull resources from iOS 11, where the focus should be on making it also rock solid.

Reactions: urtules and I7guy

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I have to admit, iOS 11.2 isn't bad but it's utterly butchered my 6S's responsiveness. When I'm typing quickly I can sometimes have my phone lag 3 letters behind. Switching between apps, just general usage is far less responsive.

Not impressed with this update, it doesn't really do anything differently in reality from iOS 11, except run slower.

For me this started with iOS 11. It also takes quite some time till my keyboard shows up when I access messages.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Wow, that is one of the slowest adoptions ever, regardless of the alternative facts and Trumped up spin Apple will give with their next keynote speech. I am sure they will claim 11 was the fastest adopted iOS version, along with most stable, most secure and with the happiest customer base ever!!!!

Tim Cook is going to have to put on some very thick rose colored glasses for the next keynote as he has a LOT of problems he has to try to ignore and gloss over to say anything positive about the companies performance. Sales are great, but when the companies reputation seems to be slowly eroding and people are actually holding off upgrading to iOS 11 like this, it is obvious Apple has taken a hit in customer satisfaction this year. You can't maintain strong sales if your quality and reputation starts to degrade over time.

Most likely he will talk about Emoji for 45 minutes to hide behind the companies lack of capability in offering a successful product launch this year.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because there are known security issues with ios10 and it would be irresponsible to let users downgrade unless they invested resources in patching them, but that might make ios10 buggy, for which people will complain, plus it pull resources from iOS 11, where the focus should be on making it also rock solid.
If Google and Microsoft can provide security patches for multiple versions of Android and Windows and still not make them buggy, it should be child's play for a behemoth like Apple.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
i was feeling bad i didn't upgrade yet but after reading the comments here i feel i am lucky... won't upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.