Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The version of Windows wasn’t qualified. Point is updated can and do break software. All of a sudden fragmentation is a good thing, except on iOS.

I specifically said multiple versions of Windows and Android. The post I was replying to was saying if an older iOS version is given patches it may break the OS. It can break all versions. No bias to just older ones. Yes fragmentation is a good thing. I am happily staying part of that 30% on iOS 10 with my iPad and even if that gets down to single digits it's staying that way.

#10.3.3 for life. You ain't killing my iPad Pro Apple.

viTpd6V.png

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
There are a number of posters complaining about battery drain on iPhone 7 on iOS 11. I certainly experienced it on my iPhone 7. However, taking it to Apple now they run diagnostics and tell you that the battery is healthy. I was advised to erase all content and settings, set it up as a new phone and come back if i still had issues as it was likely some sort of software bug. It was a very different experience to my last issue (with an iPhone 5) where Apple swapped the phone on the spot.
Beyond battery drain, iPhone 7 was my least favourite iPhone and I have had every generation since 3GS except the 5S. I found that bluetooth connections often dropped out, bluetooth audio (despite this being the wireless audio phone with no headphone jack) was much lower fidelity than other devices I owned. The LTE modem did not keep a data connection as strongly as my previous 6S+ did and the camera was barely better than the 6S+. I often felt like downgrading to 6S+ again with that phone.
I could've pressed much harder for a replacement phone but I was coming up to a point in my contract where I could upgrade to iPhone X and I did. Pretty near every issue is resolved - I still believe the 6S+ LTE modem is better in real world use. If I wasn't so heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, based on my iPhone 7 and experience at the Apple Store genius bar, I could easily have decided to make a switch.

I totally understand.

I am still using IOS 10.3.3 with an iPhone 6S. For eight years I was a loyal and early adopter of IOS. Literally the same day a new version of IOS became available, I would rush to install, but I paid a terrible price when IOS 10 was initially released.

When IOS 10 was released, it contained a massive battery drain problem affecting tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of users. We may never know the real number of effected users because of Apple's secret society practices of hiding the truth. The initial IOS 10 battery drain problem was hideous. When your phone reached roughly 20-30% of remaining battery power, the battery would fully "drain" in about 5 minutes, you could actually watch the battery meter ticking down.

During that time, the morons at the so-called Apple Genius Bar had the same stupid replies ... your battery checks out just fine ... erase your phone and reinstall everything ... I don't know what else to tell you. These moronic, loser, worthless pieces of garbage at the Apple store were TWOT (total waste of time).

Apple finally fixed their screwed up mess with IOS 10, but thousands of users lived through hell during that time. I vowed the next time Apple released a new version of IOS, I would never again rush out an upgrade. For once, and even though the temptation was hard to resist, I am glad I held off upgrading to IOS 11.

Apple's policy to rush out new version of IOS each year is pathetic. Their quality control is complete garbage and before someone says, well IOS is a complex operating system having to support current and so many legacy devices ... I don't give a damn.

Apple used to stand for quality but IOS has become a bloated operating where the hype is always about new emojis. Apple needs to get off the annual release of major versions of IOS and fix the damn bugs first!!!!

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I specifically said multiple versions of Windows and Android. The post I was replying to was saying if an older iOS version is given patches it may break the OS. It can break all versions. No bias to just older ones. Yes fragmentation is a good thing. I am happily staying part of that 30% on iOS 10 with my iPad and even if that gets down to single digits it's staying that way.

#10.3.3 for life. You ain't killing my iPad Pro Apple.
It happened once it happened multiple times. Won’t chance unpatched vulnerabilities, but to each their own. Glad you're embracing fragmentation.
[doublepost=1512588003][/doublepost]
I totally understand.

I am still using IOS 10.3.3 with an iPhone 6S. For eight years I was a loyal and early adopter of IOS. Literally the same day a new version of IOS became available, I would rush to install, but I paid a terrible price when IOS 10 was initially released.

When IOS 10 was released, it contained a massive battery drain problem affecting tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of users. We may never know the real number of effected users because of Apple's secret society practices of hiding the truth. The initial IOS 10 battery drain problem was hideous. When your phone reached roughly 20-30% of remaining battery power, the battery would fully "drain" in about 5 minutes, you could actually watch the battery meter ticking down.

During that time, the morons at the so-called Apple Genius Bar had the same stupid replies ... your battery checks out just fine ... erase your phone and reinstall everything ... I don't know what else to tell you. These moronic, loser, worthless pieces of garbage at the Apple store were TWOT (total waste of time).

Apple finally fixed their screwed up mess with IOS 10, but thousands of users lived through hell during that time. I vowed the next time Apple released a new version of IOS, I would never again rush out an upgrade. For once, and even though the temptation was hard to resist, I am glad I held off upgrading to IOS 11.

Apple's policy to rush out new version of IOS each year is pathetic. Their quality control is complete garbage and before someone says, well IOS is a complex operating system having to support current and so many legacy devices ... I don't give a damn.

Apple used to stand for quality but IOS has become a bloated operating where the hype is always about new emojis. Apple needs to get off the annual release of major versions of IOS and fix the damn bugs first!!!!
If you think the hype is about emjois than you’re not really listening to what the updates are about. They aren’t getting off of yearly release cycles.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I totally understand.

We seriously need an iOS release focused just on performance and battery life and optimisations just like Snow Leopard was back in 2008. No Apple I don't want anything new. Please fix the fundamental problems in your OS and call it iOS 12. My 7 Plus is barely lasting a day on 11.2. This isn't $1000 software. I would expect this on a $400 Amdroid phone. Get your **** together.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I have an iPhone 6 and installed iOS 11. It has noticeably slowed down many functions of the device but it has not ruined it. Everything that i previously did with the device, i can still do. There are even some new features, some i like and use, while some i don't. I have decided that i would rather deal with the slow interactions and have up to date security.
What is your definition of "ruined."
So slow that I can't pull up the driving directions I need when I'm at a red light. That and Apple Maps for some reason keeps thinking I'm facing the opposite direction now. I don't have time to deal with this crap, just gonna downgrade and be done.

Another way to define "ruined" is that it's a worse experience than a device that's 2 years older than it, running an older OS. New stuff is supposed to be better, not worse.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
I’m on a 7 Plus and an X not on the latest update yet. I’m doing fine. I guess the problems are for phones before the 7 ????

Just wait a few years and update your device to iOS 14. Your "iPhone X experience" will have you nostalgic for iOS 12.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you haven't already DO NOT upgrade to this. Even 11.2 breaks things like autofocus on your camera.
To be accurate, only some models appear to be susceptible to that, and only some people with those models are experiencing that.

I’m on a 7 Plus and an X not on the latest update yet. I’m doing fine. I guess the problems are for phones before the 7 ????
There are people with 7 and 7 Plus and 8 and newer phones that have issues that are significant to them, just as there are those with 6s phones and 6 and 5s that aren't really having significant issues.
[doublepost=1512593899][/doublepost]
Because like iOS 11, iOS 9 had destroyed the older devices so people upgraded out of sheer desperation and since it lacked features iOS 10 was able to fix iOS 9 somewhat. Next year iOS 12 adoption will be higher as Apple will try to fix the mess that iOS 11 is and the 59% that are trapped on iOS 11 will upgrade instantly to see if it's any better.
There are still all kinds of people on the latest version of iOS 9 that are quite happy with it. So by your terms that might be it, but it doesn't really seem like it applies to the majority overall.
[doublepost=1512594116][/doublepost]
IDK why Apple insists on the mindset internally that they must release a new iOS version every year or die.
It would have been so much better for the Apple community to be on a snappy, optimized, stable, secure, long battery life, current emojis and compatible release like iOS 8.8.1 today for all devices with the handful of new features implemented since iOS 8 rolled into all older and new devices.
While I would be fine with that kind of an approach, there would be just as many threads as there are complaining about iOS 11 and how Apple lost its way only talking about how Apple is too slow and doesn't innovate and doesn't care about its users to give them something new and is stuck in the past and on and on.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
I’m finding that the Overcast app for podcasts is much, much better than any iOS podcast app to date. Less fluff, a little more intuitive, a few additional features, easier to tag episodes for deletion or saving, etc. While Apple’s keeping busy focusing on making things look a certain way, third-party developers are learning how to work within Apple’s awful iOS 7-11 UI and out-designing Apple.

Thanks for the referral - I'll check it out. All I really need out of a podcast player is one that plays all downloads in reverse chronological order. It seems like a pretty basic functionality, but apparently not.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just wait a few years and update your device to iOS 14. Your "iPhone X experience" will have you nostalgic for iOS 12.
I hope that won’t be the case. Initially, my 7 Plus had severe battery draining problems on iOS 11. There were a lot of crashing apps initially but now it’s more stable and back to the smoothness I’m used to but I have not put the very last update on it or my X, yet.

The 7 Plus battery drain got better with one of the incremental updates. My iPhone X is too new to judge but I’ve had only one crash on a game and everything else has run as it is supposed to. So far, anyway.

What I was seeing on an iPhone 6 today was pretty appalling. It’s like the update broke the touch responsiveness of the screen. My friend said her phone worked just fine prior to updating. She didn’t say whether it was the latest update that messed up her iPhone or iOS 11 in general. We were working with other people so it wasn’t a conversation that flowed as well as I’d like. The subject simply came up when she was trying to do something on her phone and had trouble and then there was a chorus of “me, too” and some people looking pretty miffed about their iPhones.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I keep saying the exact same thing that I will not update until Christmas but guess what? I update it as soon as it is released lol

LOL, I know what you mean. I caved in this year and updated right away because I had purchased a new 12.9" iPad Pro and wanted to use all of the new features. Boy was that a mistake!

On a more serious note, Apple has been slowly losing my trust over the last 4 years or so...and things have really gone downhill in their software department over the last year. I'm not a hater...I'm actually an Apple fan boy...but I can no longer put up with all of the constant software problems. I will not update next year until 6-9 months after initial release.

Suspended
Sep 3, 2016
Yeah, just "like"...

Because, you know, Apple releases new phone models with older versions of the operating system on them, with no path/plan/ability/care to see that those phones get timely updates, of any kind, for three+ years!

So, just like Android, iOS is becoming more fragmented the more devices Apple sells!

Not.

And on Android, it's all about new functionality delivered through the store or services, apparently: that's a feature now, and Android fans love to say how its not about new APIs and new OS features, like that is so antiquated; they love to say how they are getting exactly the same functionality and performance from any given app they run, no matter what version of Android they are running on a device!

I don't think there is an iOS eqivalent for that desperate measure that Google had to take in order to mitigate the situation of OEMs and carriers just doing their own thing. But, you know, that's a feature, not really "fragmentation", which is a "non-issue" invented by Apple fans!

I see what you’re trying to say and agree to a point, but let’s face it since 2017, there is not much of a difference between the two in terms of smartphones. However, Apple are doing a great job with the tablet shares, and don’t see anyone that can match them. Also, with Face ID, the possibilities are endless (adding that feature on Mac would be amazing).

Apple had a great opportunity to stand out but blew it with Touch bar and iPhone X with gimmicks, price, and design. I believe they rushed it with the iPhone X by a year. Furthermore, their diabolical OS updates causing security issues and lastly, which I mentioned previously, slowing down the device. The figures regarding the adaptation rates speaks volumes, don’t you agree?

In a way, Apple did stand but all for the wrong reasons. I truly believe 2018 will be Apples year and I am quite confident within two years the notch will go. As for the price for future iPhones, I really do hope Apple will charge reasonably.

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
Isn't this mainly because most of that 59% are people who have newer phones that has iOS 11 already installed on it? If you have a legacy device, please don't be stupid and upgrade your iOS to the latest version. You're only going to regret it. Remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

EVGabe

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2017
QC, Canada
I have iOS 11 on 7 devices since day one.

I’ve noticed a few glitches. After rotating the screen I’ve seen alignment issues with content. A few Apps would occasionally display something wrong. Sometimes there’s a short pause when I tap the screen. All very minor stuff.

On the flip side, all the Apps I rely on for work still functioned properly (as did all my personal Apps). My iPhone still worked fine and none of the issues I saw had any impact on my usage or caused me any difficulties. I’m assuming the same goes for my wife and kids, as they all come running to me whenever they have any sort of problem.

So basically the same things I’ve experienced with previous iOS updates, Android updates, Mac OS updates and Windows updates. Nothing new here, yet people want to proclaim iOS 11 as the “worst ever”.

Pretty much!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Isn't this mainly because most of that 59% are people who have newer phones that has iOS 11 already installed on it? If you have a legacy device, please don't be stupid and upgrade your iOS to the latest version. You're only going to regret it. Remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Plenty of people have upgraded and add part of that 59% (with many not really experiencing major issues).

drcre8tive

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2014
New Orleans
I installed it on my iPhone 6. I'm switching back to an old iPhone 5 now because my phone is now officially ruined, and I want the 4" screen again anyway. Found out the hard way that the lag complaints are real.
11 was a real dog for my iPhone6. Update to iOs 11.2 helped a bit for me. Also, turn on "Reduce Motion" in Settings>General>Accessibility... makes things snappier. Now if the seamingly random app crashes could be fixed, that would be great.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Still at 7.1.2 on one of my devices!

I LOVE THAT VERSION.

11 is HELL ON EARTH. Rushed. Thoughtless. And buggy. It's the Windows Vista of the mobile world currently. Apple must provide a roll back feature to 10 or expect consumer action.
[doublepost=1512669831][/doublepost]
Represent.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The vast majority of that 59% are users of older devices. Estimated 60 million iPhone 8/8 Plus/X with upwards of 500 million users overall on iOS 11.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
We seriously need an iOS release focused just on performance and battery life and optimisations just like Snow Leopard was back in 2008. No Apple I don't want anything new. Please fix the fundamental problems in your OS and call it iOS 12. My 7 Plus is barely lasting a day on 11.2. This isn't $1000 software. I would expect this on a $400 Amdroid phone. Get your **** together.

Why not iOS 11.3? iOS hasn't been indubitably the best software in sometime. Android used to be completely jank software before Lollipop. Now, you can actually argue it can be better than iOS. Apple does need to go back to making great software.

bobone

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
That is not the experience I have with my iPhone 6, iOS 11 made it run smoother than before. The app opening might be a bit slower than on iOS 10 is my feeling, but once in an app, like safari or instagram (or general navigation) its more fluid than on iOS 10.

Well, I made the mistake of upgrading to iOS 11 on my iPhone 6 because I needed to test something. iOS 11 was and still is attempting to get back to where iOS 10 was regarding usability. The lag is real and terrible, and not able to be turned off. I don't give a damn about an animated button highlight - mark the button as pressed and be done with it in less than 0.1s, as a major example of what's wrong with iOS11. Now, that said, iOS 11 shares a lot of suckage and regressions back to 10 through 10.3 bugs, like the Messages screen display problems during rotations, layering of GUI elements being all screwed up in rotations and a new one where Messages won't show the bottom message(s) on screen and you can't view them until you either pop out and back into the chat, or send a few messages as of 11.1.2+. Then it added a few more awesome "features" like application startup lag between Safari and Messages - type a few messages to friends, hit a link, browse a couple of webpages, come back to messages and start typing as soon as the app comes up. You'll get to wait a good 3s before anything shows up on screen.

FWIW, iOS 9 wasn't great either. The last stable iOS version was 8 as far as upgrades etc went.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
The lag in uptake is because beloved older apps require 32bit workability and IOS 11 doesn't do that. That's the reason.

In our house, we have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones, among other devices. Only my iPhone has iOS11, and I'm not upgrading the iPads anytime soon, as my kids would lose some old games that they love, but which are so old they are no longer on the app store.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Still at 7.1.2 on one of my devices!

I LOVE THAT VERSION.

11 is HELL ON EARTH. Rushed. Thoughtless. And buggy. It's the Windows Vista of the mobile world currently. Apple must provide a roll back feature to 10 or expect consumer action.
[doublepost=1512669831][/doublepost]
Represent.
Is that kind of like what iOS 7.0 was, for example?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Honestly, and I doubt anyone would believe me but... 11.2 installed on its own for me. I didn't click accept. It woke me up at 2 AM and I thought the device was rebooting. I never clicked I accept, no pop up came up allowing me to say install later then cancel auto install. I have no idea what happened here.

Thankfully it didn't break my Bluetooth with my car like I was worried about (Which was why I'd stayed on 11.1.1).

There was no red badge icon either.

I might not have noticed at all had it not lit up my room with the Apple logo...

Edit: It obviously showed up but don't you have to press accept for it to download and install? Why wasn't there a red badge?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.