Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I updated my 6 to 8.0.1 and lost my cell coverage and Touch ID. I reverted back to iOS 8.0 and got it back. Why are people acting like their phone is doomed? Just downgrade.

That's not supposed to happen though. And remeber, at least half of iPhone users are not ''techies''. So their going to have to go to the genius bar just to make calls...assuming they have an Apple Store close to them.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I wonder how many people updated? I only manually checked for an update after reading that 8.0.1 was out. Not one of my devices notified me of a new update. Anyway, I guess I'm lucky that 8.0.1 worked fine on my Plus OTA, I wonder if it was a certain setup/configuration that caused the issue. I guess we will never know.

Apple, Samsung and Microsoft have all done this before. Apple with iOS 7.0.6, Samsung with the Note ICS update and Microsoft with the WP7 Omnia update. I don't expect this to be the last case of borked firmware.

Last edited:

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Apple need new directors.

- iOS 8.0.1 issue - huge issue.
- Chinese voiceover issue during the media event.
- Streaming issue during the media event.
- Ugly antenna band - needs new designers.
- Bendgate - should have analyzed the structure.
- Ad - did you see the "bigger" ad?

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
I updated my 6 to 8.0.1 and lost my cell coverage and Touch ID. I reverted back to iOS 8.0 and got it back. Why are people acting like their phone is doomed? Just downgrade.

It's the fact that it's inconvenient for some people. What if you're at work and this starts to happen at 8AM? What if you have children in daycare and have your phone on standby in case an emergency happens? Then what? Go home and revert back to iOS 8.0?

Makes me wonder if iOS 8.0.1 made it to testing/Quality Control before releasing to the consumers. I know Apple makes awesome devices and operating systems, but this hasn't been the best week for Apple. Nor has it been the best week for Apple consumers.

mattnotis

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
All I want is for them to fix the excessive battery drain issue and the wi-fi issue. Do that, and I'm golden.

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
I will say this for the restoration procedure: It was relatively painless. Although I backed up my device to iTunes as instructed before initiating the downgrade, it appears only the operating system was swapped out. When the phone rebooted, all my stuff was still on it without having to copy it over again from the backup stored on my desktop (which I've done in the past because it's a prerequisite for AT&T's unlocking procedure). The entire thing barely took ten minutes. (I have a 128 GB iPhone 6 with about 88 GB free.)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So Apple released a faulty update, pulled it and told affected users how to roll it back. It happens.

Believe it or not sometimes a defect in a release can slip through any QC process - the notion of 100% perfect quality control is an illusion. For example, Android users (I know from experience at the time and it is documented online) had OTA updates for Froyo, Gingerbread and even Jelly Bean that literally bricked phones and tablets. It doesn't excuse Apple and I hope they are also investigating how this bug got through testing but it does show that these things happen no matter how well you plan and no matter your intentions.

Somebody with common sense and also has knowledge of basic software 101 !

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Maybe this is the preview of what will happen with the Apple Watch releases? You can't make calls until you buy one...or two!:D

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
Incidentally, the Healthkit app is launching just fine after the downgrade. I heard it was crashing for some people.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
Apple need new directors.

- iOS 8.0.1 issue - huge issue.
- Chinese voiceover issue during the media event.
- Streaming issue during the media event.
- Ugly antenna band - needs new designers.
- Bendgate - should have analyzed the structure.
- Ad - did you see the "bigger" ad?

We need Steve Jobs back...

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

I updated about half an hour before I had to go to work (because I was looking forward to the bug fixes and Healthkit stuff). I was very lucky that I had my old iPhone 5S and was able to toss my sim card in it to take with me.

On top of that, you just shouldn't have to downgrade through iTunes. It took me half an hour to download the update and apply it. Very inconvenient and not acceptable.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
Funny everyone screams about Cook, but it seems to me Ive is the one who has become the zeitgeist there. This tells me that form factor is trumping code. This is a massive fail because I use Apple since 94' because of its OS especially past Classic and when X showed up. Truthfully Id rather used buildable hardware of my choice. Form factor mattters as I do appreciate design. I love the intuitiveness of Apple stuff but the task is not getting any easier as the software is now a convergence medium and that is kind of hectic. Is Apple or any other co up to the task. Im enjoying iOS 8 but its buggy few apps have been rather frustrating. As I try to do in my life 'underpromise and overdeliver'. Im not perfect nor are they but Im not a company that will likely the first trillion $$ company or have the largest market cap in the world. Dont get me started on the phones bending or lack of sapphire or liquid metal. But thats how they keep us back over and over....

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
Good thing I'm on iOS 7! =)
My iPhone 4 is happy on iOS 6 too!
Man I love iOS 6! I wish I could "downgrade" my 5S to iOS 6.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
That's not supposed to happen though. And remeber, at least half of iPhone users are not ''techies''. So their going to have to go to the genius bar just to make calls...assuming they have an Apple Store close to them.

Yeah but on the qty of these non "techies" users :
- own a 6-6plus?
- are techies enought to run update within 5 hours it has been online?

Answer : 1% max?

My dad is still running ios 4 just for your info and he let me do the techies stuff for him... That's how you avoid issues...

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
It's the fact that it's inconvenient for some people. What if you're at work and this starts to happen at 8AM? What if you have children in daycare and have your phone on standby in case an emergency happens? Then what? Go home and revert back to iOS 8.0?

I am in no way excusing this cluster**** of a release, but...

An update is a software fix, it's not a Christmas present. Why would someone randomly apply the patch if they needed their smartphone for something important that morning? If there is something good that can come from this mess, it would be to get people to think about what they're doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.