Apple Says Minor Screen Burn-In and Shifts in Color When Looking at iPhone X Off-Angle Are Normal

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Pascal325, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Pascal325 Suspended

Which becomes burn in after a short time. It also did not go away after many tries when it showed it. If it was image retention, it would have gone away by running some solid colors on the screen for hours, but it did not.

And last I checked, it is still called BURN-IN from many experts like CNET.

https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-vs-poled-screen-phones-burn-in/

Please educate yourself from the article above.

"
    What exactly is burn-in?
    Problems of a lingering afterimage have been around since the first days of plasma TV. Traditionally "burn-in" means that the afterimage (a ghostly "impression" of the image that was on the screen previously) never goes away; it's permanently burned into the screen. Image retention, on the other hand, implies something temporary, where the afterimage disappears eventually.

Whatever you call it, burn-in is generally caused by leaving a static section of screen on for a long time. Examples on TVs include logos and tickers at the bottom of news channels like CNN, a score bug from a baseball game, or the status display from a video game. You see more static images on phones, particularly the notification and navigation bars.

[​IMG]
    Watch this: What is Pixel Burn?
    1:20
    In most cases, those static sections of screens don't linger as faint afterimages. But on the Pixel 2 XL, the faint lines of the notification bar and hotkey buttons still stuck around after the display was turned off overnight and after running a screen burn-in fix video. These factors suggest that this issue is more persistent than standard image retention, which usually disappears after some time."

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I think with Apple saying burn in is normal, we've delved into "can't trust Apple to do OLED" territory. Remember: this is a Samsung manufactured but Apple designed OLED. This isn't an off the shelf screen or anything.

3. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors regular

Samsung will have learned a vast amount of proprietary knowledge about the design and application of their OLED screens. If a customer wants to purchase OLED panels to their own specification to use in their own way , on their head be it.

4. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

You can adjust saturation with the Screen Mode setting.

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

White. Perhaps it's just showing up more in photos rather than to the naked eye? Either way, it doesn't look that bad I just haven't seen it before. It's usually blueish.

6. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Agreed. Samsung knows how to make OLED real well. Apple wants to be able to go elsewhere, though, so they kind of had to design it. The problem becomes them not being good at it right now.

7. athletejmv macrumors member

Definitely agree that Samsung knows how to do OLEDs well, which is why they didn't jump on the OLED television bandwagon and stuck to backlit LCD's like Apple kept to for the longest time. Would have been better if Apple adopted Samsung's QLED tech in their iPhone displays... OLED will work for now... only another year until I "upgrade" to the next latest and greatest iPhone.

8. agsystems macrumors 6502a

--- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    how timely...my brother its a full time Uber driver and that Apple support KB got him spooked and he is taking it back to Apple and replacing it with the 8 plus - he added the time and looks like he keeps the phone on the map for 10-14 hours a day.

9. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Yeh... Probably a good move.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Got any references to the idea that Apple designed an OLED screen?

Or did you mean they specified its resolution and type of Pentile format.

11. ex0dus1985 macrumors newbie

ex0dus1985

I use smart invert every now and then, the white text on black is better for battery life and most importantly flips the colour of the clock, status icons and home button indicator - those will be the most likely to cause burn-in.

I’m trying to not be too OCD about it and just enjoy the phone. Having owned Plasma and OLED TV’s I’m used to being careful about static images.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Weirdly, I kept hearing it on podcasts but can't find where the source is.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, it sounds like a typical internet whisper story where various facts got conflated. E.g. someone reports that Apple invested in a micoLED research lab, then someone else magically warps that into designing OLEDs, and someone else thinks a worse color shift or burn-in must be due to an Apple specific design, and then the story takes on a life of its own.

It seems more likely that at this point Apple would simply tell Samsung or LG what resolution, shape, subpixel arrangement, brightness, and lifetime they want, along with a max price.

But who knows. We know from the GTAT sapphire factory events that Apple also likes to throw in their own production ideas!

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Probably it all went wrong when apple quoted the price they wanted to pay :)

15. John_JD_Doe macrumors newbie

John_JD_Doe

With a grey screen I can see a rectangle in the lower right corner. I don’t remember using an app with that disposition. Is it burn in, image retention? Should I get a replacement while I am in the first 14 days?

16. Chevelle macrumors regular

Ugh I’m frustrated. I’ve had the X a couple days now and have been holding off shipping back my 7+. I’m getting accustomed to the yellow hue. I think that that the overall PQ is much crisper. When I look at my wifes 7+ after looking at the X it’s noticable.

But, this hue shifting is annoying. At work I put my phone on my desk and browse things throughout the day. The top of the screen has a bluer hue compared to the bottom of the screen when doing this because I’m not looking directly above my phone. It’s very annoying.

Plus this makes unlocking the phone a pain because I need to get directly over the phone to unlock it.

17. Kid Red macrumors 65816

It's same with the $4k+ OLED tvs that have been on the market for the past few years? It's an OLED side effect.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think the color shift is due to using a circular polarizer designed so that the display won't go black when you're wearing cool surfer polarized sunglasses.

It's like with using capacitive touch and WiFi in place of 3G in the first place. The iPhone is designed in California for Californians :D

Buy a phone stand?

19. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

So why do you think Apple is trying to push Burn in as normal?

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

A question is: are all iPhone X displays affected this quickly?

21. dch_neo17 macrumors member

Load up this grey image and view in full screen, it should show you burn-in if any. Beware though, it will show image retention as well. [​IMG]

22. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I don't know. I'm just worried about the hand waving. They're literally one of two companies right now saying burn in is normal. The other is Google.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Even weirder, Google's display problems have been blamed on them using lesser quality LG displays.

Yet, Apple is using Samsung and should be in better shape.

There's just not enough info yet to make a decent guess. That's why it'd be valuable to know if this super fast burn-in affects all X displays, or a portion.

In other words, is it inherent to the design? Or a result of having to let through a lot of lesser displays because of the already lessened panel yield due to the notch? (From 80% down to 60%)

24. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Can't wait until a year passes as we start getting data points.

25. dch_neo17 macrumors member

I'm using a Note 8 and it's display is phenomenal. I have seen other Note 8s and they all have equally good display. Maybe Samsung reserved the best displays for their phones?