Apple Says Minor Screen Burn-In and Shifts in Color When Looking at iPhone X Off-Angle Are Normal

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Alith macrumors 6502

Why would i send it back? The iPhone X is amazing. It has terrible ghosting on high contrast, moving images but that is just one small fault in an otherwise brilliant product imo.

2. ilovemykid3302012 macrumors member

You apparently have a very serious reading comprehension issue. My very last post said they are Samsung screens so how you get I said differently is beyond me. As for wasting YOUR time? Lol I'm going to allow myself to stop the wasting of my time by not responding to you any further.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    It's not bad, my S3 never have had these issues and others here have said the same. The majority of people NEVER have these issues.

3. MNJohn macrumors regular

The app icons are also static and, with time, will display burn in in these areas as well.

4. Pascal325 Suspended

No apparently, you are the one with the reading comprehension issue. I was responding to this guy first, and you started responding to me like I was replying to you. Seems to me you already have a history here in your short time causing grief and arguments with other members. My S7 Edge didn't but a friends S7 Edge had massive burn in. It happens.

5. Baymowe335 macrumors regular

This is the key. Samsung screens have it too; Apple just choices to make it publicly known. Timing is questionable, but they didn't have to say anything.

You don't think it happens to Samsung phones? Look at this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-coming-samsung-amoled-burn-in-on-iphone-x-screen.2071691/

6. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

I had an S6 edge and didn’t get any burn in either. The last phone that I had that got burn in was my S3....which came out 4 years ago, which is about 12 in technology years. And don’t even get me started on the hell that the Galaxy Nexus brought me

7. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors regular

That sounds like serious fault to me. I have seen slight ghosting effects on TVs that were tollerable, but "terrible" ghosting sounds like a complete no-no.

8. Sill macrumors 6502a

I don't have time to wade through 16 pages of posts, so I have to ask:

Would running a couple days worth of colored "slides" of various intensities through the display, like the burn-in process for HD plasma screens, help prevent this, or perhaps help heal screens that are exhibiting this "normal OLED behavior"?

If so, I see the potential for a very simple, yet helpful new app.

9. code-m macrumors 6502

Hey mate, there is no harm is saying that you failed to read the tech specs on Apples website relating to it’s products. Initially you provided erroneous information, which I corrected by directing you to the correct location. I was not expecting an apology, just had to acknowledge that formal information.

I never claimed anything inferior, this was your comment. It seems that you are behaviours in an immature manner as to not reckon your misjudgement and lack of seeking the correct information. Stop trying to spin this around that you did nothing and someone else is to blame. You are the one claiming to have this “superiority complex” not I. Seems you may want to take a second to reflect on your life instead of judging others on a forum and then claiming that others are behaving immature with your high school comment which is uncalled for. You are being judgemental and stereotypical by even claiming that social groups or immature behaviour exists amount all highschool attending students. Not sure if you are having a rough day or just misinformed, however by the tone of your comment it seems you feel like I have either insulted or injured your intellect. Take a break from technology with a deep breath.

I believer you are well aware that Apple does not divulged tech spec information on future unreleased products, hence you are visiting and posting on a site called, “MacRumors.” Stop playing coy, the screen brightness has been consistent since the iPhone 7, 8 and X. When and if the brightness is doubled or increased next year then what will your stance be. I presume more immature rant without reason, as you were unable to reference Apple’s website for the correct information and rather blame others for your lack of information gathering.

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

THIS! Quote of the year!

I can actually see a very savvy person, you, doing this right in the store in front of customers and Apple reps after being denied and told OLED screen burn-in not being covered. Would love to see this in person happen.
    Psst we live in a world of colour. ;)

Since you're focusing on contrast shades ... has anyone tried reading 10 pages from iBooks (iBooks sourced books)? I'm curious about any eye strain from the high contrast?

11. code-m, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

code-m macrumors 6502

Uncertain if you are being sarcastic with your comment, however during the keynote Apple specifically outlined that their only adopted OLED as it met its high standards. To me “high standards” means that if does not have the drawbacks of its competitors. If a competitor is producing and using these AMOLED displays in its own devices and supplying Apple, then why claim Apples OLED is of a higher standard.

No technical paper has been released relating to Apple’s OLED display that is of a “higher standard” compared to its competitors, until that time I am sceptical regarding this claim.

Of course it would be a deal breaker if Apple said, that’s correct loyal iPhone fans, we adopted our competitors AMOLED technology years later, with all the drawbacks that we claimed previously were not good enough for our products and customers, only not we lowered our definition of “high standards” and its good enough, now have the courage and enjoy something our competitors had years ago and you get it knowing that we approve, even if it had all the inherent drawbacks.
    Apple is a marketing genius, I will give it them that. Even if it did have IR retina burn, it will be advertised as a feature you simply cannot live without. ;):p:D
    Image retention and burn-in can be mitigated via “pixel shifting” this was effective with plasma displays, it works. The colour shifting is another issue.

I hope Apple has incorporated “pixel shifting” in iOS 11.1 or even 11.2 for the iPhone X, if not it tells me that their claim of “high standards” and “attention to little details” has been slipping over the years. This is troubling if true, I like the attention to little details, its what makes Apple interesting, with disregard to this, their become no better than any other hardware tech producing company.

12. VictorTango777 macrumors newbie

Hey, it works both ways:

13. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Burn In is a permanent condition. The only way to make it not visible is to burn the other part of the display to match. It's slowly destroying the display. Not sure you'd want an app like that.

14. John_JD_Doe macrumors newbie

John_JD_Doe

How much time has to past until burn in shows up with a static image?

I left the iPhone in my desk charging while Tweetbot was open. When charging Tweetbot doesn't lock the phone. I went to take a shower and my iPhone remains unlocked with a static image and medium brightness. Now I'm worried, I don't see anything odd but, will it be a problem in the near future?

15. blackbirdz macrumors member

Bought 2 X Silver 256GB, received it on 11/3.I can confirm BOTH have burn-in issue.

First, the true-tone color makes it warm (too warm in my opinion) and make a white becomes yellowish/brownish. Ok, I think I could live with this.

But then, I used the phones as a GPS in my car, put in the middle and the burn-in drives me crazy. I literally have to move my head to the middle to see the GPS clearly, this is inconvenient and dangerous.

Will send both back to Apple tomorrow for a full refund and will buy it again when they resolve with this issue.

16. roeiz macrumors 6502a

roeiz

whaaa?? already??

17. I7guy macrumors G5

Not possible in 24 hours.

18. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

Burn in doesn't happen that quick. Wonder if the poster is confusing the tint when viewed off axis with burn in. His comment about having to "move my head to the middle to see the GPS clearly" supports the off axis tint issue and that is different than burn in.

19. Pascal325 Suspended

Yes it's possible. The PIXEL XL 2 did it as well.

20. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

It would take a long time measured in weeks and months, not minutes and hours. If something is happening in a few days then that is a serious problem. I had never heard about rapid burn in until the Pixel2 problems. There is also something called image retention or ghosting that appears and then goes away on its on. That is not burn in, but still a problem.

21. Sill macrumors 6502a

You're right about that. I had confused a couple of things there. Slides apparently help the plasma "normalize" or whatever, when its new, sort of a break-in or seasoning period. The same slides can help rectify temporary retention, but not burn-in. Its the job of the pixel orbiter to prevent burn-in.

22. user1234 macrumors regular

user1234

I looked at the iPhone X today IRL and yes, the screen is good, but so is their LCDs. Can't say I noticed a huge difference to the LCD iPhones next to it. I did notice some softness from the pentile arrangement but I had to look really close to see it. Not a problem from a normal viewing distance.

I also looked at the Galaxy S8 that was near and it's really oversaturated. I haven't looked at any LG OLED panels.

It's going to be interesting to see how big of an issue burn-in is going to be after 2-3 year of use, but my opinion still stands. I'd much rather see an LCD on the iPhone X. And no frickin notch please. It's problematic in landscape mode.

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

They did diagnostics. They offered a replacement but before I erased my old one, I did a test call with the white box refurb and imagine the luck... The call dropped right away. I'd replaced my SIM card twice.

I just kept my 7 Plus as it seems the replacement wasn't any better and it wasn't worth going through the hassle to change it.

I still like my 7 Plus on Wi-Fi and use it regularly. No biggie.

On another note, Why do so many of these X devices have a pink hue around the notch with TT off?

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I am not seeing a pink hue. Does the background have to be a specific color for it to be noticeable? Or maybe it is an angle?

25. Radon87000 macrumors 603

That was image retention,not burn in.