Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 10 to Developers [Update: Also Available for Public Beta Testers]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Jesse1414 macrumors newbie

By "Few people use" did you mean the few 10's of millions of people that use it?

Side note: I don't live in the US.

2. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

The vast majority of iPhone users have no idea what WhatsApp is.

3. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

So what's with the 'either/or' approach to iMessage? I use it with a host of families/friends in the states, but also use whatsapp in Central America where I travel frequently. Both have their places, and both are useful.

4. Tomapple macrumors member

Anyone??

5. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

1. Speed
    2. Group chat
    3. Typing indication

6. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

I like iMessages, the only problem I have here is that 9 out of 10 people are on Android. Even friends who have an iPhone use whatsapp. Only becease they can speak to the rest of the country.

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Based on what?

8. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

As I said before... When you don't live in the US 9 out of 10 users are on android. Propably even more. So as much as I like messages it's useless unless you'll use it as sms.

9. OKBatman macrumors newbie

OKBatman

You can add song to Play Next, but I still don't see star rating accessibility.

10. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

Well you have to adept to what the majority is using if you want to communicate. If that was messages, I would use it as my primary message platform. Unfortunately 9 out of 10 are on android over here and that makes messages quite useless unless you'll use it as a sms service.

11. lucasrant macrumors regular

Exactly. WhatApp is the most popular app for messaging. As of february 2016 it has 1 billion users. One of the main reasons is that SMS remains too expensive. I´d love to use iMessage, but everyone I know (including people who own iPhones, which represent the majority of my friends and acquaintances) use WhatsApp.

12. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

Where do you live? In Sweden at least 50% use iPhone. I would say 90% of my friends use iPhone and 75% of my colleagues use iPhone.

13. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Is everyones (who has a 6s) messages features working? When you force touch that blue arrow to send a message, you get the options to send it with effects, etc.

No matter how hard I force touched, the sub menu does not pop up for me. I thought it was just beta 4 that somehow disabled it but it still doesn't work in beta 5.

14. darrenoia macrumors newbie

darrenoia

Apple doesn’t get nearly enough credit for the way iMessage basically forced carriers in the U.S. to drop the cost of SMS to almost nothing, or nothing. And the way FaceTime made it possible to communicate with people in other countries without paying crazy high fees. (Yes, I know Skype and others did it too, but it wasn’t built in and didn’t have much mobile traction. There is a huge advantage when things are built into the OS). Before iMessage came along, SMS plans were way too expensive here as well.

And you can add Canada to the list of countries in which plenty of people use iMessage. All of my family does. Bottom line: lots of the world prefers cheaper Android devices and uses WhatsApp. Millions of iPhone users prefer the built-in Messages app. We can all get along. I’m sure of it.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    I really hope Apple restores this. Surely I’m not the only one who uses star ratings extensively to create playlists. A binary like/don’t like doesn’t really help in that regard. I get that they’re trying to emulate the simplicity of social media apps like Facebook and whatever, but this is not that kind of app. Trying to emulate social media functionality is a category error.

15. cutemoto macrumors member

They moved the app icons about on the home screen. [​IMG]

16. DaveOP macrumors 65816

This is not even remotely true. In the US, yes, but abroad, WhatsApp is everything.

17. ke-iron macrumors 65816

The GM I think is the same day as the keynote.

18. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

I'm from the Netherlands, nice to meet :)

19. Tomapple macrumors member

yeah... but in the iOS9 version, after adding a song to "play next", you could put another song after that one (at the end of the "play next" queue) with an option that said "add to play next", which was removed. Now you only have the option to press the "play next" option again, which adds the song to the before to the previous one (at the top of the list), which is annoying.

20. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

In what way?

22. cutemoto macrumors member

Mail was in the dock. Messages was where mail is

23. 6836838 Suspended

Yep, that's a relative Apple 'few' my friend. Good Math.

24. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

Updating now. 298.5 MB moving from Beta 4 on a 6S.
    After finally eliminating the horrible battery draw issues I was having by performing a fresh install instead of OTA update from 9.3.3, the only thing I'm really not loving is the loss of "Swipe to Unlock" from the lock screen. Because of the way I use my phone, I can't always unlock with Touch ID, so swiping left and then tapping in my passcode has become second nature. Now when I swipe left, however, it opens up the camera instead and I have to stop and think about how to unlock now. This is needlessly frustrating and I wish Apple would just go back to swiping up from the left corner to open the Camera app, and swiping left to unlock with passcode. Why they felt this needed to be changed is beyond me, but there it is.

25. blogbytes macrumors member

Is the frame skipping/lag fixed on the 6s plus?