Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 10 to Developers [Update: Also Available for Public Beta Testers]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ryuworks macrumors member

Maybe it's a European/Netherlands problem? iPhone ownership is bigger in Asia than even the US.

2. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Oh man, the lock sound sounds pretty terrible. Whoever made the Forstall comment, it does not feel far from the truth.

3. ryuworks macrumors member

Over here SMS cost roughly 1.5 USD for every thousand messages sent.

4. mikesch macrumors member

I'm not 100% sure about that, but the Dock's translucency effect seems to have been tweaked.

5. bryan1andersons macrumors member

6. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Is predictive emoji back? There was a time during the first few betas where if you typed something like "basketball", it would show a basketball where it normally predicts what you are typing. It has since disappeared but I thought it was a nice feature at the time.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

How do you unlock now? I use swipe to unlock quite often. I know I can use my fingerprints but I do a lot of working with my hands and get a lot of scrapes and often have bandages.

8. 576316 macrumors 601

Yay! One of my favourite parts of the week. Things were very stable in beta 4 so I can imagine it's only getting better, hopefully more battery life improvements!

9. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I scratch my head about that. I use Messages to talk to people who have Android via SMS.

10. ryuworks macrumors member

It's kind of funny for some of you to argue that Apple doesn't need to make iMessage good just because everyone else use whatsapp/fb messenger.

There is absolutely no reason why multiple messaging platforms cannot co-exist. The majority of the iPhone and even Android users around here use at least 3 messaging apps on a daily basis - FB messenger, Whatsapp, Line and of course iMessage among iPhone-using friends who look down on Android users.

11. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Interesting. So do they still charge for SMS in Europe? I haven't seen a metered SMS plan in the US in years.

12. wayoutwest5505 macrumors member

wayoutwest5505

Is 3.0 USB audio supported ? Read in SOS article that current OS X does not. Want to purchase audio interface with 3.0 USB to DAW.

13. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

It's only a matter of months and whatsapp will do the same as the to be introduced iMessage. Facebook owns whatsapp. Don't get me wrong. I do like iMessage. But if iMessage can't cummunicate with my friends I've to use alternatives. Whatsapp does a lot more then iMessage. You can make group chats and is faster with sending files then iMessage too.

14. Xytal macrumors regular

I'm hoping the lock screen messages bug is fixed (the window would open but wouldn't load message).

Also, I opened a message on the lock screen to reply... and my Gboard showed up. 0_o

15. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

Come on, one of the biggest features of iOS 10 is to "work properly" with their battery case? Come on, Apple isn't even trying to innovate anymore, just fixing **** up. You can't tell me that one of the last 4 patches of iOS 9 couldn't make it work with their own battery case?

Also I am tired of "app changes" being lumped into an OS update. Apps are apps, OS'es are OS'es. ALL Apple's apps should be stand alone and updated through the app store and not shoehorned into the OS kernel. I mean Microsoft was given **** over the years for making their IE and Office and other "built-in" products work tightly with Windows OS kernel, achieving performance levels and stability that 3rd parties couldn't achieve using standard API's and SDK's, why should developers tolerate that you need a whole new iOS version to get improve Photo app or emoji support, neither should you have to wait 5 iOS versions to get the same features and performance Apple's own apps take advantage of today.

Patching/fixing/improving apps is not a reason to release a new OS.

16. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

WhatsApp is crap.
    "Let me reply on my iPad..."wait...let me reply on the web..."i have to do what?!"
    WhatsApp users are not the target audience for iMessage...

I encourage everyone to use telegram, if they insist on something besides iMessage.

17. Banan911 macrumors regular

Certainly not in Denmark. Most people I know have iPhones and I use iMessage with those. If they don't have iPhones iMessage will send them a text which is included for free in all subscriptions here.

I only use WhatsApp for people from other countries where it apparently is popular? I don't really see why - the app is not very aesthetically appeling. In fact its damn ugly.

Stop assuming that because something is like this and this where you live that it is universal.

18. JLL macrumors regular

And why can't Apple update iMessage while you still use WhatsApp?
    No they're not. There are many countries where Apple has a lot more than a 10% market share.

But I don't see why you have a problem with Apple updating iMessages just because you don't use it.

19. mattymatt843 macrumors newbie

Get new friends!

20. dyt1983, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Edit: Removed possibly personally identifying information no longer relevant to the thread.

21. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

Why don't you just turn off Keyboard sounds in settings? I have since my first iPhone 3G because that click click click click sound while typing drove me nuts.

22. dyt1983, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Edit: Removed possibly personally identifying information no longer relevant to the thread.

23. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

I can only hope.

24. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

People will find a way to complain I tell you, it's like they didn't put in an ounce of thought before typing. I visit these threads to be entertained once in a while.

25. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

Sigh, I don't have any problems Apple updating iMessages, I even like iMessage. For me it just isn't that usefull see other postings why. But I'm happy it is for you and all others using it ;)