Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iPadOS 16.1 update to developers for testing purposes, with the software available alongside the standard iOS 16 seventh beta that was provided today.

ipados-16-stage-manager.jpg

Registered developers can download the iPadOS 16 profile from the Apple Developer Center, and once installed, the beta will be available over the air.

Apple has decided to delay the launch of iPadOS 16 in order to continue working out bugs and other issues with the Stage Manager feature that is coming to M1 iPad models.

In a statement to TechCrunch, Apple said that there will be no iPadOS 16.0 version at launch, with the company instead planning to ship iPadOS 16.1 following the launch of iOS 16.
This is an especially big year for iPadOS. As its own platform with features specifically designed for iPad, we have the flexibility to deliver iPadOS on its own schedule. This Fall, iPadOS will ship after iOS, as version 16.1 in a free software update.
iPadOS 16.1 introduces new Stage Manager features, according to TechCrunch.
The big update this time out is the ability to resurface the Stage Manager side rail with a gesture while the feature is full screen. The other updates with 16.1 are the standard spate of beta bug updates
Apple rarely splits iOS and iPadOS launches apart, but it has opted to do so in this case because the latest version of iPadOS is still riddled with bugs and seeing a number of complaints about the multitasking Stage Manager option.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of iPadOS 16.1, Confirms Delayed Launch

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Eh pretty indifferent about it for my iPad Air 4 anyway. You could have installed the beta on my device in secret and I wouldn’t even have noticed that I am not running iOS 15 until seeing the Weather App

The Files app improvements have been the biggest thing for me. The old version used to choke loading 10MB< images, now it can handle 50MB+ ones with ease.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I can't imagine Stage Manager is that big of an overhaul to command a month delayed release vs. iOS? Must be due to new hardware launching in October.

I guess September will be Phone, Watch, accessory (AirPods?) and Home (Apple TV, HomePod?) related, and we'll see iPads and Mac sin October.

Reactions: transpo1

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Interesting decision. But it sounds like from the beta testing reports, a good one.
It's because they will release new iPads this October, and what better way to introduce them than the full release of iPadOS 16.

Just like how they introduce the new iPhones and then the new iOS version. Same will happen with Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.