Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Very few journalists & websites hold Apple accountable when it underdelivers.
How do you figure? Especially since “holding Apple accountable” gets FAR more views than almost anything else a journalist or website can ever post. :) I mean, the fact that you know that Apple’s underdelivering is because these journalists, websites, leakers have provided an idea of what should be delivered followed up with what hasn’t been delivered. That’s holding them accountable.

UNLESS your idea is that “holding them accountable” is only when accompanied with profanity and yelling on a YouTube video (complete with shocked/surprised/angry thumbnail).

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Now, they just have to delay/cancel Ventura from 13 to 13.1 to fix the System Settings UI and we will be all good! LOL!

Yeah it's interesting how the exact same logic they used giving them the "freedom" to release "iPadOS" on a different schedule has always applied to macOS, but it and iOS seem more in lockstep than ever and for no good reason.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple designers: "We know what users want but that's not innovative! Let's design something completely different instead!"

Which is fair when they genuinely do have a better idea. But they can also give people what they want because those truly better ideas are clearly fewer and farther between than they think.

Reactions: antiprotest

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Only for M1 models.

Because Apple cares so much about user experience and Apple knows better because we are not engineers, so if Apple says something we must all accept it and shut up, according to macrumors users on here.

It seems pretty clear that there's someone high up that loves stage manager to the detriment of all else. I have a feeling it's the same person who's in love with jiggle mode and whose name might rhyme with spaghetterigi.

dalestrauss

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Midland, TX
Until they let users place a window where (and what size) they want when using an external monitor, Stage Manager will be near worthless. I see that Apple wants to maintain “iPaddiness” on the internal screen, but once you move an app to an external monitor, it should pretty much track macOS behavior. Of course, we don’t want to do that and cannibalize the MacBook Air, now do we...

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Of course, we don’t want to do that and cannibalize the MacBook Air, now do we...
Apple’s never had a fear of cannibalization of a product. In fact, the iPad is ALREADY cannibalizing the MacBook Air because a lot of folks with simple use cases are buying iPads (2 to 1 over Macs).

Reactions: I7guy

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Very few journalists & websites hold Apple accountable when it underdelivers.

iPad OS & even MacOS in my opinion have been lagging in development lately with few features that are mostly focused on security-related matters and nothing meeting. I’ve been trying to hold back my desires to upgrade to an M1 just to test Stage Manager. Side-by-side does the job for me, but I can’t help but be interested in SM. I have to say though, from the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, SM’s overlapping windows kinda looks messy which might drive me nuts.
It definitely feels a bit, awkward? It doesn’t have the finesse of macOS windowing, and I’m not sure Apple was going for that. I use side by side or a single app with other apps in Slide Over which for my workflow works well. I still really enjoy using my iPad and every time I come back to it after I’ve been on my MBA I always enjoy using it. I think the dual interface of touch plus Magic Keyboard is a really cool experience. I’ve just come to the conclusion it won’t be the all in one for my needs, and that’s ok.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
It definitely feels a bit, awkward? It doesn’t have the finesse of macOS windowing, and I’m not sure Apple was going for that. I use side by side or a single app with other apps in Slide Over which for my workflow works well. I still really enjoy using my iPad and every time I come back to it after I’ve been on my MBA I always enjoy using it. I think the dual interface of touch plus Magic Keyboard is a really cool experience. I’ve just come to the conclusion it won’t be the all in one for my needs, and that’s ok.
I’ve tried multiple times to get down to a single device (or an iPhone + Mac or iPad) and can’t do it. Some things are just easier on the mac, and some things are more enjoyable on the iPad. I’ll probably hold off upgrading my 2018 iPad Pro till the next ones are introduced, but from the rumors I'm not sure the new iPads offer anything extra that I want. Still itching to play with stage manager though.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming iPadOS 16.1 update to developers for testing purposes, with the software available alongside the standard iOS 16 seventh beta that was provided today.

ipados-16-stage-manager.jpg

Registered developers can download the iPadOS 16 profile from the Apple Developer Center, and once installed, the beta will be available over the air.

Apple has decided to delay the launch of iPadOS 16 in order to continue working out bugs and other issues with the Stage Manager feature that is coming to M1 iPad models.

In a statement to TechCrunch, Apple said that there will be no iPadOS 16.0 version at launch, with the company instead planning to ship iPadOS 16.1 following the launch of iOS 16.iPadOS 16.1 introduces new Stage Manager features, according to TechCrunch.Apple rarely splits iOS and iPadOS launches apart, but it has opted to do so in this case because the latest version of iPadOS is still riddled with bugs and seeing a number of complaints about the multitasking Stage Manager option.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of iPadOS 16.1, Confirms Delayed Launch
My guess is that Files on iPadOS is an issue. If it’s too good who needs a pro or a MacBook?

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I’ve tried multiple times to get down to a single device (or an iPhone + Mac or iPad) and can’t do it. Some things are just easier on the mac, and some things are more enjoyable on the iPad. I’ll probably hold off upgrading my 2018 iPad Pro till the next ones are introduced, but from the rumors I'm not sure the new iPads offer anything extra that I want. Still itching to play with stage manager though.
Maybe see about picking up a refurbed M1 iPad Pro? Might be able to get a good deal on one. I won’t need to replace my M1 12.9 for a while. With the processor, RAM, and display, I don’t feel like I’ll be missing much for a while.

Reactions: pdaholic

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Maybe see about picking up a refurbed M1 iPad Pro? Might be able to get a good deal on one. I won’t need to replace my M1 12.9 for a while. With the processor, RAM, and display, I don’t feel like I’ll be missing much for a while.
If I buy a refurb, I’ll only get it from Apple, and I haven’t seen any M1s available. I’m guessing we will see some decent price drops in a couple of months after the new ones are released. That’s assuming I can hold off until then!

Reactions: GuruZac

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
They did not go the route of iOS 12.1 FaceTime with up to 32 people but it seems like they will be doing an iOS 13.0 then release iOS 13.1 about a week later...

Should have released iPadOS 16.0 as it is then Stage Manager on iPadOS 16.1 or whenever it is ready...

Bobbuilds69

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
I personally don’t care when it’s released. I tried the beta and there’s no major update or visual changes that I’m interested in.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
If I buy a refurb, I’ll only get it from Apple, and I haven’t seen any M1s available. I’m guessing we will see some decent price drops in a couple of months after the new ones are released. That’s assuming I can hold off until then!
Well in either case, I’m sure you’ll be happy! The iPad Pro is a great piece of hardware and the software is slowly catching up.

Reactions: pdaholic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.