Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone seen improved filesystem performance on boot drives? Yosemite has been glacial in that regard.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Only issue I have had, is that Yosemite is a memory hog. Uses 3GB more than Mavericks did. And that is without doing much, casual surfing, light work. Good thing I have 16GB. Other issue is folder memory, as they seem to reopen at original default instead of the set up size and position. By no means life and death, but is very annoying have to resize everything each time. I have had bluetooth lag and stutter with my magic mouse on occasion as well. Any Fix is a good fix!:)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Has anyone seen improved filesystem performance on boot drives? Yosemite has been glacial in that regard.

How about boot up *time*? Yosemite takes about four times longer to boot to the login screen than Mavericks did. A bit disappointing, even if not a huge deal since I boot from scratch less than once a month.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
I can't work out how to download it, i have a iOS Developer account and have always used the beta's and usually has a "seed utility" that i would install to get the beta updates on my machines through AppStore. How do i do this as i can't see such utility and don't have any kind of redemption code from the portal.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Those who've waited will be rewarded.

Although I love to always be on Apple's cutting edge with the latest & greatest, I have learned from many "snake bites" with major OS releases to be patient & wait. How long? Usually a month does the trick as the software fix-it elves work 24/7 to remedy the glitches.

Hopefully we see this much needed update by Black Friday, because Apple needs a blowout holiday season. Problematic OS's don't help sales, and only fuel the anti-Apple zealots.

Hang in there folks. :)

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Did you ever have any issues with your Mac not showing the handoff icon in the dock?

I did earlier on in the beta stages of Yosemite but not since the GM version have I had any issues. I personally don't really care for or use the feature but for testing purposes it has been testing well.

score4fps

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Los Angeles
I hope this doesn't something to fix handoff. Everyone i've spoke to gets it worked for a bit and then it breaks after a restart of a device. My phone always seems whats open on my Mac, my retina Macbook never seens whats open on my phone or iPad. I've reset settings and PRAM so many times that i've just given up and accented its software related.

This update killed the Handoff/Continuity features I'd added on my MBA mid-2011 with the Tutorials posted on this forum. Anyone else...?

cosmolv

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Latvia
After so many failures and slow speed, ram hungry Yosemite was deleted from my laptop forever! Back to Mavericks (clean install) Yosemite also was clean install, but it is so buggy... I swiped it from my macbook.

I feel so much better with Mavericks and everything is going so fast again! I think this is the first time in my Apple OS experience when i say. i do not upgrade anymore in future. except in case i buy new mac. but its sad about direction of Apple software design. Yosemite is so cheap looking with lots of ideas from Microsoft windows and Linux UI designs, that it loosing Apple identity and inovation priority...

theengineerbox

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
No problems here

I'm a Day 1 user of Yosemite and have had 0 issues with anything.
My WiFi works as it should.
Could I just be lucky in that respect?

13" Mid 2012 Mac Pro
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

RicD

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
USA
Yosemite crashes three maybe four times a day…

Late 2010 MBP 15", 8 GB RAM.
On this system WiFi is not an issue. With Snow Leopard and Mavericks never did this system crashed. Running Yosemite it crashes three or four times a day.

Permissions, Safe Mode, Disk Verify, many times all have been run. Still on this system Yosemite is quite unstable. When the screen to upload the crash report to Apple I do send it.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Maybe they can fix the fact that the OS is slow as ****, takes 5 minutes to start up and is a RAM hog.
We should also be able to delete history in safari without deleting stored passwords.

smartbot

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
They need to fix these WiFi and Bluetooth issues soon. I keep having to restart my iMac just to use the keyboard and magic mouse properly. I am also getting sick and tired of these empty finder windows...

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 147

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
For whatever reason my iMac's graphics just go to hell after putting the computer to sleep, can't play any games or anything without lag and the UI is slow, until I restart it. Hope this clears that up.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Just don't understand how working code in Mavericks never made it into Yosemite. Like Wifi worked in Mavericks, why isn't it working in Yosemite? Did they purposely break the code?

All these working sub systems, battery, graphics, etc...now having problems don't make any sense to me.

Someone like to explain?
Mavericks broke Wi-Fi for me, so it's not like anything has changed.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I can't work out how to download it, i have a iOS Developer account and have always used the beta's and usually has a "seed utility" that i would install to get the beta updates on my machines through AppStore. How do i do this as i can't see such utility and don't have any kind of redemption code from the portal.

I'm likewise an iOS developer. I ran the Yosemite developer releases using the seed utility. Downloaded and installed the Yosemite official release. And the 10.10.1 pre-release showed up in the Mac App Store for me this evening. I'm downloading it now.

----------

Hopefully this fixes the Mac Mini sleep/wake issue. 14 paged thread about it over at the Apple Support forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6605926

Wow. I have two 2012 Mac Minis, and I didn't realize that was an issue. Probably because I never have them sleep. :) They both run Plex Media Server (in addition to other duties), so they're 24/7 machines. My i7 mini is almost always doing something for me overnight too.

tyasjs

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
Hope it's better. I had to downgrade to mavericks because my MBP wouldn't stay connected to WiFi for more than an hour.

How exactly did you downgrade back to Mavericks?

I've been trying my best to go back since I don't have a Time Machine backup w/Mavericks on it. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.