Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Damn that sucks, but thanks though.

Another question..

Do you need iTunes 11 B2? It says you only need iTunes 11 to install the GM on the developer site.

I was able to INSTALL it via windows (after re-downloading the dmg and extracting the ipsw) with 11.0.5.5, however iTunes then told me that I need 11.1 in order to be able to backup/restore/etc.

Not sure what version beta 1 was, but beta 2 definitely will work.

richard6r

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
Can someone on an iPhone 4 with R/W access the new Tones and pack them up and upload them for those who want to stay on iOS 6. The new tones are really good.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Windows 7 x64 here. I inadvertently clicked Update instead of Restore so I just updated my iPhone 5 from iOS 6.1.4 to iOS 7 GM. :eek: My intent was to confirm that Windows iTunes 11.0.5 would not restore an iOS 6 backup onto iOS 7 GM.

When the phone rebooted as iOS 7 iTunes notified me that the iPhone "cannot be used because it requires iTunes 11.1 or later". Right now iTunes for Windows is 11.0.5 (checked for updates in iTunes and at http://www.itunes.com). I assume that will change soon.

So if you have and questions about updating (which I did not intend to do) fire away. I suppose on the upside my restore was quicker because there wasn't one. ;)

Edit: Sorry boxermansr: Was updating and typing, not reading recent posts.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Windows 7 x64 here. I inadvertently clicked Update instead of Restore so I just updated my iPhone 5 from iOS 6.1.4 to iOS 7 GM. :eek: My intent was to confirm that Windows iTunes 11.0.5 would not restore an iOS 6 backup onto iOS 7 GM.

When the phone rebooted as iOS 7 iTunes notified me that the iPhone "cannot be used because it requires iTunes 11.1 or later". Right now iTunes for Windows is 11.0.5 (checked for updates in iTunes and at http://www.itunes.com). I assume that will change soon.

So if you have and questions about updating (which I did not intend to do) fire away. I suppose on the upside my restore was quicker because there wasn't one. ;)

Edit: Sorry boxermansr: Was updating and typing, not reading recent posts.

Just had a weird dejavu moment after reading this...Cant be good!

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
You do not need iTunes 11.1 to install the GM. However it appears it's needed for syncing stuff. If you're fine with installing everything from the cloud then you can get by without the iTunes beta.

Can you sync with 11.1 beta 1?
(since beta 2 is out)

andiss

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
So i just signed up, just to ask a really noob question.

If i install IOS7 GM will i loose my contacts, picture, songs, albums, messages etc?

Im sorry if this is a stupied question, but i really want to install without having to worry about loosing everything on my phone

Im from norway btw, and sorry if my english is bad.

Ive been reading on a norwegian IT site, and i they said if i download and click update nothing will be lost, but if i click restore i will loose everything on my phone?

So bassicly what im asking is how do i install it without loosing everything on my phone?

lmddawson

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
So i just signed up, just to ask a really noob question.

If i install IOS7 GM will i loose my contacts, picture, songs, albums, messages etc?

Im sorry if this is a stupied question, but i really want to install without having to worry about loosing everything on my face.

Im from norway btw, and sorry if my english is bad.

Ive been reading on a norwegian IT site, and i they said if i download and click update nothing will be lost, but if i click restore i will everything on my phone?

So bassicly what im asking is how do i install it without loosing everything on my phone?

Simply perform a backup on iTunes first. Once you have updated, you can restore from that backup no problem.

andiss

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Simply perform a backup on iTunes first. Once you have updated, you can restore from that backup no problem.

So if i understand you, i bassicly plug in my phone to my computer, press "take backup" on itunes. Then unplug my phone, download the IOS 7 GM mode, Connect my phone to my computer again, and update my phone. When that is done i click restore when IOS7 Is instaled on my phone ?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
So if i understand you, i bassicly plug in my phone to my computer, press "take backup" on itunes. Then unplug my phone, download the IOS 7 GM mode, Connect my phone to my computer again, and update my phone. When that is done i click restore when IOS7 Is instaled on my phone ?

I believe you need to connect to WIFI on your phone, then do a backup via the iCloud. Restore from that, NOT itunes.

lmddawson

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011

You'll need your phone plugged in, since the GM doesn't update OTA (Over the air = through the iPhone alone)

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
Well on my iPad mini Safari doesn't crash anymore, with beta 7 it was insane how often Safari would crash.

rhino2627

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
Denver, CO
Noob question here and sorry if this is redundant, but I'm running the latest iOS 7 beta (not a registered dev, just paid $10 to register the UDID of my iPhone 5). When I update to the iOS 7 GM on 8/18 (via iTunes 11.1) will I be able to restore from my old iOS 7 backups? Thanks for any help!!

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
Damn that sucks, but thanks though.

Another question..

Do you need iTunes 11 B2? It says you only need iTunes 11 to install the GM on the developer site.

If you back up via iCloud you don't need 11.1 b2, however you will not be able to use iTunes with your iPhone.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Installed as update...

Hi Folks

Seems a lot of people are installing with a restore. I downloaded then ALT-clicked the "Check for Update" button, selected the firmware and it installed without a restore. I've checked that it's correct in the "About" and it all seems OK. Of course I did a backup first to be safe...

This was with 11.1 beta 2 on Lion.

Cheers, Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.